De-Cocking a 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Insulation Tim, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Simply put: a mil-spec, or Colt pre Series 80 commercial spec 1911 type pistol is NOT SAFE with the hammer all the way down on a loaded chamber!!! Even though a 1911 should have an inertia type firing pin, there have been accidents carrying "hammer down".

Some Chinese re-import U S Military 1911's and 1911A1's had had their US firing pins replaced by longer direct strike Chinese ones. Chinese commercial copies (like Norinco's) should be checked. The Chinese seemed to think direct strike design was more reliable.

A 1911 is even more dangerous it the hammer is lowered to the so called safety notch on a loaded chamber. This is like carrying a Colt SAA (Frontier Six Shooter) with six rounds in the cylinder, and the hammer in the safety notch. It is an accident waiting to happen. {By the end of the 19th century, the SAA had the folk reputation for having killed and injured more persons by accident, than any one other handgun had with hostile intent.} Only a person who is totally ignorant of firearms mechanics and safety; or an outright fool does so!

A 1911 is safest to carry with a loaded mag and an empty chamber. The only acceptable carry method with a round in the chamber is "cocked and manual safety engaged"; and in a holster that will not allow the manual safety to become disengaged as one moves around.
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Anyone who carries a 1911 should be able to tell whether the firing pin is inertial, and if the stop is loose.
  3. Evenflow

Evenflow New Member

I dont have my license to carry, so I really will probably never carry my 1911 around so pardon me for sounding ignorant.

But wouldn't it make more sense to carry with a rround in the chamber and hammer down, then hammer cocked. What happens if the safety gets switched off for whatever reason, and the hammer falls while your carrying.

Wouldn't it be safer to have the hammer down with a round in the chamber that way it cannot fall and fire?
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's kind of my theory and why I started the thread a long while back. As you can see, there are proponents on both sides, though most seem to favor hammer cocked and safety on.
  5. Soleil

Soleil New Member

I have been carrying a 1911 for 20 years. I carry in Condition 1 with the holster strap on the back of the slide between the hammer and pin. I usually de-cock one handed but always use two when at a crowded range or indoors. The gun is never pointed in a direction that would endanger people or pets, loaded or not.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

in my opinion, both are safe. with the hammer down on a live round. you cannot engage the weapon as quickly as you can mearly releasing the safety catch. but you might run the risk of dropping the gun or falling on the gun and that one in a million chance of it going off. i consider cocked and locked safe. i consider hammer down safe. there will always be people saying one way is better.

i have a smith and wesson 4006. it has a decocker/ safety. just like a beretta 92. when i load the chamber i hit the decocker. then flip the safety back off and carry it like that. the only time i put the safety on is if i am trying to carry the gun and a bunch of other stuff in my hands or pocket, to help protect from an accidental discharge. the former owner had that safety on at all times. it just depends on the person i reckon and what they are comfortable with
  7. Evenflow

Evenflow New Member

So am I right in thinking that you take the safety off after decocking because now its a DA pull and that much harder for the trigger to get pulled than if it wasnt decokced, SA and go off.
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I though I had posted on this subject but can not find it.

I carried a 1911A1 for more than 30 years, I can still likely quickly relearn to completely disassemble a loose GI one and reassemble it in less than ten minutes time, wearing a blindfold..

A 1911 is safest to carry with a loaded magazine and empty chamber. Some military organizations have ordered it to be carried this way unless an immediate threat is present.

It is considered acceptably safe by most knowledgeable persons to have a round in the chamber and the manual safety engaged. If carried this his way it should be in a holster that insures against the manual safety being accidentally disengaged.

A 1911 or 1911A1 IS NOT SAFE to carry with a round in the chamber ANY OTHER WAY! This is the collective wisdom of many experts and organizations that have used them for over 95 years.

There have been accidental discharges with the hammer all the way down. There have been more serious accidents with the hammer at the first (aka safety or half) cock point which was not designed to be a safe carry feature. Furthermore, one can grab it and slip the safety off about twice as fast as cocking the hammer to full cock!

The Colt Series 80 1911A1 (and possibly that of some other newer manufacturers) design attempts to overcome this potential safety problem by using a firing pin block that will only let the firing pin reach the primer when the trigger is all the way to the rear. This complex, delicate, clockwork feature is not good for extreme conditions reliability. I want nothing to do with it..
  9. johnlives4christ

yep.
  10. johnlives4christ

it is perfectly safe to carry a 1911 with a round chambered and the hammer down. carrying a 1911 with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber, to me, is rather ignorant. it shows that a person is unfamiliar or perhaps even afraid of the firearm. there are some weapons im sure that arent safe to carry with a loaded chamber, an M3 grease gun would be one such weapon. but for the most part i cannot imagine anyone desiring to carry a handgun without one in the chamber. it would be irresponcible to do so in my opinion. the worst thing would be to carry one way sometimes, another way some other times. whenever you needed your gun the most, you would invariably not have it in the condition you thought you did, and either waste time checking or cause a malfuntion.
  11. techoca

techoca New Member

A 1911 pistol is never double action.
  12. Evenflow

Evenflow New Member

Never said it was, please read both posts.
  13. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

Browning's first model was hammerless . The army requested a hammer. Browning submited a revised model that became the 1911.
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I'd prefer Condition 3 over Condition 2 myself, it has intrinsic advantages appreciated by Mossad and others, for a reason!
    But in a pinch (when you REALLY want your pistol ready!) Condition 1 is the next best thing to having already shot the problem!
  15. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

As a new member & new to 1911 gun"s can someone please explain the 3 conditions of the 1911 carry in detail to me, I will appreciate it, Thanks.
  16. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

As a new member & new to 1911 gun"s can someone please explain the 3 conditions of the 1911 carry in detail to me, I will appreciate it, Thanks.
  17. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Post #42 in this thread has the answer to your question.