De-crimping 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Oct 30, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Lately as I scrounge for cases at my range I have been getting a lot of WCC(Western Cartridge Company) headstamps which you have to de-crimp to use. These seem to have a heavy crimp compared to others I have de-crimped. Is this considered a good case or am I wasting my time with these? Lately I have been just setting them to the side to de-crimp in a big batch(if its worth it). Does anyone else de-crimp 9mm and whats a fast method for this caliber? In the last year I have collected around 10,000 9mm cases so if its not worth it I'll probably just toss them.
  2. res45

res45 New Member

I just use a RCBS deburring tool to remove the crimp from the ones I pick up at the range a couple turns do the trick. 10.000 might be a bit much to do by hand,I've never messed with military brass on a large scales,I know RCBS makes a press mounted primer pocket swager but I'm not sure if it works with pistol brass or not. It's pretty inexpensive and I'm sure a quick call to RCBS would give you the facts.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Ooops! I think I was mis-understood. Of the approximately 10,000 cases, a very small percentage would be WCC headstamp. Now that I think about this, it is the only case in 9mm that I have to de-crimp. Not sure how many different kinds of 9mm have crimped primer pockets but its the only one I ever came across in this caliber.
  4. res45

res45 New Member

On a recent range trip I pickup no less than 5 different 9mm cases with crimped in primers had no problems removing any of the crimps and primer seated fine. The WCC were the most common of the crimped ones.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

If you happen to have a Lyman case trimmer they have a primer pocket reamer accessory kit for it that does a very good job of taking the crimp ring out of primer pockets. I've used it on thousands of crimped primer pockets with great success. It cleans the pocket and uniforms it at the same time it is reaming out the crimp. It's about $10-$12 at Midway USA. :)
  6. army mp

army mp Member

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager on Pistol and rifle brass. large and small pockets. You do need a single stag press. I think it dose a good job. Mid-south sells it for $27.28
  7. buckwoods

buckwoods New Member

Ditto on the RCBS swager.
  8. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Does anyone know if the RCBS primer pocket swager will mount on my Lee Classic Turret press?
  9. army mp

army mp Member

In the add they only say it will not work in progressive presses, so it should work.
  10. army mp

army mp Member

Sorry after thinking about it, I now dought it will work properly. I am not familiar with the Lee Turret It has the over size ram. The swagger works with a cup that fits over a standard size Ram on a single stage press. To free the case from the punch.