Dealing with Taurus

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ninjatoth, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I have a Taurus 94 .22.It was having some problems,alot of misfires,locking cylinder etc.Well,on May 23rd,I went to where I purchased the gun to have it shipped back to Taurus for them to honor their lifetime warranty.So I waited and waited,and eventually,46 days later,we called to see what was up.They said it would be done in a week to a week and a half,so today,26 days after we were told that,we called to see what was going on,and they said that I wasn't getting my gun back,and that they were giving me a new gun,and that it ships sometime in august.It's already been 72 days,and they say sometime this month?And how does that work anyways?I am registered to that serial number right?Do I have to get a new permit just to get the gun?Or can they somehow engrave a new gun with that number?I have no Idea how that works.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I have no ideal where you live or the laws there, but no, Taurus will not use your old serial number, it will have a new different number.
  3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I'm just confused.Do they send me a permit part as if they bought the gun,I live in Michigan by the way,If so that means I have to spend the money and time to get a new permit.I hate doing that stuff.I feel like a foot tall every time I have to go to the police station:mad:
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

In Michigan, is the carry permit only issued for one particular gun? In Georgia it covers any pistol that you might want to carry!
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'm 50 years gone from Michigan, I loved the land , the people and I grew to manhood there. When I turned 18 I left and never looked back. Even at that young age I didn't like the fact that every law passed was for the benefit of Detroit and not for the people of Michigan { Beton Harbor Area }. If as asked, your permit is for one specify gun then I'm afraid you have no choice but play the game. Perhaps someone more recent or living there can answer more fully.
  6. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

If my memory serves me correctly, in MI you need a permit just to purchase a handgun (I, too, am from the water/winter wonderland - but long ago).

I agree with RJay - Taurus will not use the same serial number, so a trip to the local PD will likely be necessary. Speak to Taurus and ask for a letter of explanation. If they cooperate, it may speed-up the process and get the old gun out of your name. Perhaps the paperwork included with the new gun will suffice. Ask the cops what they need. With a great deal of luck, they might actually know.

RJay, are you really that old?
  7. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I had a really bad experience with a Taurus 605 Revolver. The whole damn thing fell apart in my hands, the cylinder literally fell off the frame. It took Taurus 2 months and I had to call and be an A$$ to a manager to get it back that fast. No more Taurus for me ever.
  8. cabopc

cabopc New Member

Not to downplay what is no doubt frustrating but at least they are sending you a new gun. I'd be happy about that.
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

"
    RJay, are you really that old? " Only when I look in the mirror, otherwise I think I'm 20 :)
  10. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The Michigan Constitution is arguably stronger on the "right to keep and bear arms, without infringement" than the US Constitution. In the late 1920's MI devised a pistol registration scheme called a "Pistol Safety Inspection" to avoid MI constitutional challenges.

About a year ago the requirement for a police safety inspection ended, and we now have an outright registration law. There are no more MI Form RI 11 "Safety Inspection Certificate" {often call "green card" or registration}.

In my opinion, you should advise Taurus that you need clear documentation (like a letter on their company letterhead) of the replacement and disposition (likely destruction) of your old gun and its replacement with the new one. When you receive your replacement handgun and documentation you should write a letter to the Michigan State Police Firearms Records Unit on Harris Dr. in Lansing, MI; and give them photo copies of your documentation from Taurus. Be sure to include a telephone number that you can be reached at if they have questions; and ask them for a written response (which you may not receive). You can get the exact address off the MSP website. Mail you letter from a post office "Certified Mail" with a "return receipt" and keep copies of everything that you send them.

Also, it would be a good idea to furnish copies of what you send to the MSP to your local PD.

This is an unusual situation that the LE desk types do not often have to deal with.
  11. colt

colt New Member

Feel for ya, good luck.
  12. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

in Michigan if you have a ccw just get it in your name you must get that from the gun shop that its going to ie ffl . if you dont have a ccw you will need the purchase permit no cost for the paper to reg the gun at the popo.it cant be shipped to you.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  13. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

From ninjatoth's original post, I inferred that he sent the handgun directly to Taurus for repair, as he is allowed to do by federal law. They can return his firearm (or likely a replacement; but not sure on this BATF fine point, without doing some time consuming research) directly to him.

If a FFL firearms dealer is (or gets) involved they (it) will have to log the new gun in when it is received. He may need a CPL or Purchase permit to take delivery from the FFL.