death of a family member

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gun-nut, Nov 23, 2011.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Well i just put to rest my grandfather. (aka Papa) 85 years of age. I sit here and remember all the things he told me and taught me over the years. The sound i love the most is the sound i hate. Thats the sound of a gun, love it, but when they do the 21 gun volly it hirts the most. Papa was in WWII. He was on the USS John Rogers. This boat was one of the most decorated ships in US history. Papa taught me most of what i know today about guns. He was a jack of all trades but a master of none. My mother has the 45 Kentucky long rifle that he built. Still to this day it has yet to be fired. It will stay that way.I have a cherry stock that he sent out years ago to weatherby to have shaped to fit an 1903 springfield rifle. He did about 6 of thease gun over the years. I remember a day that i went to visit him about 4 years ago ... He asked me if i had an 03 rifle . I said yes. He reaches on the top shelf and pulls down this stock all rough cut.Blows of years of woodworking dust. Looks at me and tells me that "it was a cherry tree they had in the back yard." Then looks at me and asks " how much something like this go for thiese days?" I replied a few hundred $. Looks down at the stock then at me and with a grin he tell me "Give me the $20.00 i spent to have it done back in the day and its yours." I handed that man that 20 with pride! I had started on it but long sence put it away. I was wanting to have it done before he passed but time just never let me. So i now will make that time!!! I have a gun that he did some stock work to. He was very proud of it. As well as i am!! I have that gun and still shoot it. I will say this... I am very happy that i did make the time 3 weeks ago to go see him. But i did not spend the time i should have. But as i get my butt in gear to do the stock and fit the gun i will post it here for all to see. But as well to all them dads, grandfathers, and grandsons please spend as much time as you can teaching and learning. I missed out on more then i can bare to think of.
  2. geds

geds New Member

Very well said. I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like a terrific guy and a great role model! The best memorial for someone like him is to pass on his teachings to someone else.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Condolences gun-nut. Finish that stock and dedicate it to him. Your papa sounds like he was a top notch individual. I am sorry for your loss.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

We lost another american hero. I pray for you and yours to be comforted thru this time. Remember the good times. God bless.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Just a suggestion: Engrave his name and dates in the forearm well, under the barrel. I did that to Dad's Mauser that Curly Francis built to his order. It doesn't detract from or add to the stock appearance and yet is there. They used to put the information under the butt plate, but that is too easy to loose when the butt plate is replaced.

Pops
  6. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

I am very sorry to hear about your Grandfather. He fought the good fight in WWII and I am certain that the Lord is watching over him now.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

My condolences gun-nut, to you and your family.

Rest in Peace Hero. I never knew you, but you have my utmost respect.
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

May he R.I.P.
  9. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Sorry to here of your loss.He sounds like a great guy.
  10. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a great guy.

Pops is right on engraving the name in the barrel chanel. Of all the custom stocks I built years ago, I put my name along with the owners name and date under the barrel. Does not take away from the firearm, yet it is there.
    God Bless
  11. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.
  12. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Thank you all! Here is just 1 of the many things Papa did for me when i was a kid. If my 38 year old mind remembers right i got this when i was 11 years old. All hand carved. The wheels were done on his lath. Sorry for the pick quality.

Attached Files: