Decided, goodies on the way

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Greg, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Well, I finally made my selection on my first rifle and size of ammo.

There are a lot of good non-custom rifles out there (Browning, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Howa, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, etc.) but after checking them all out, I went with the Savage. It has the new Accu-trigger (nice feature and feel). While I am a traditionalist, and liked the 114 ultra in American Walnut with black cap, and high gloss blueing, I went with the 116 stainless with synthetic stock (Weather Warrior) for what I will be doing, and where I will be hunting (Pach recoil pad on the way). I think the stainless will hold a higher resale value as well. For the money, it just looks like a great value. It may not be the "dream" rifle, but I think it is a good first owned rifle.

Likewise, there are a lot of good scopes on the market, and optics quality just appears to be getter better and better for the money. Call me crazy, but for the money, eye relief, and FOV, I went with the Simmons Aetec. I know there are die hard fans with their "favorite", but this is a lot of scope for the money.

I will probably only get one other rifle for desert critter shooting (probably .223 or .22), but the first one is going to be in the 30-06. I have shot higher power rifles before, and the recoil shouldn't be a problem. I can find ammo relatively cheap for everyday shooting, and the bullet size selection is VERY impressive for the hunting to be done. The .308 came in as a close second.

I can't wait to try this package out, and see if I can be as accurate as I hear the Savage rifle can be.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Thanks for the report, Greg! Let us know how it works out for you.
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good hunting rifle.

Your choice for varmits may require a bit more thought. The .22's you are thinking of are only good for very small critters and at close range. Now maybe that is what you have in mind..But if not...There is a great selection of long range critter getters available.

I have a shooting buddy that goes prarie dog hunting every year. They shoot mostly over 300 yards at them little critters.

MY .02$

ISB
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Greg, I'm glad you found what you wanted, that is the main thing...That your happy.

I am also glad that you at least looked at the .308...I wasn't going to continue to argue it's advantages with so many cons for your needs, but it is a great, very accurate, round for those long distances, per my research.

Again, you got what you wanted...Cant go wrong with a tried and true 30-06.

Happy for ya! :)

~Crp
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

You made a wise choice, Greg.

I would have opted for the Burris Fullfield 2 Scope with the Ballistic Plex Reticle, which I really like. Used one on our weekend in Alabama. Winchester 358 had one that was terrific. However, I also have a Simmons and it has served me well. That's what I have on my Browning BLR Lightening .30-06 mounted with low profile see through sights so I still have the option to use the iron sights, which I've shot all my life. Never looked through a scope until I was about 62 years old!!
  6. Greg

Greg New Member

Thanks Marlin.

That Burris is definitely a nice scope and reticle set up and durable. It is a favorite among many hunters. I think Burris also makes the scopes for Pentax, but not quite the quality level of the Burris. The Aetec ran $145.00, so it is about half the price of the Burris you mention. Maybe down the road.

As far as critter shooting goes, wouldn't a .223 be a decent round for distance and energy? It has a velocity of over 3200 f.p.s., way more than the .17 everybody is ranting and raving about, for almost the same ammo cost if you look around.
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I think I would opt for the .223 in that situation. I pretty much prefer a centre fire to a rim fire for long distance accuracy. May just be old and set in my ways. :)

We don't have the critters here that they have talked about. The exception would probably be the coyote and/or fox. No prairie dogs and few if any chucks.