Decided to reload .357 Sig. Any Gotcha's?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I went ahead and bought a .357 Sig barrel for my Sig P226. Since the dies I got for this round are steel I guess I'll have to lube the cases. Do you have to check the trim length also? Is there anything else I need to be aware of reloading this caliber? Also is there a popular 9mm weight bullet for this round.
  2. 3ME

3ME New Member

They seem to load fine. The carbide dies cost a fortune and they go through the sizing die more like a typical bottle-neck rifle case than a pistol case. As long as you spray a little lube on them, they will go through the dies fine. You really should lube any bottle-neck case, even when using carbide dies. I use the 115 grain XTP bullets with Reloader 7 and I am shooting them from Glocks and not a Sig. I do not trim the cases because I never seem to get a change to load them more than 2 to 3 times before they get lost by the Glocks tossing them off into the weeds. If you reload the same case very many times or if you are using a hot load, you will probably need to trim them eventually. Check the case lengths and see if they are becoming too long. Some guys trim everything, ever time. I can't argue with that because it is what you SHOULD do. I am just lazy and don't trim unless I really need to.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have read somewhere that you can use a .40 die to resize the case, then run it through a 9mm size die (set way back) to get just the neck area. Then continue on with the rest of the reloading process. I cannot say for sure that it works because I do not reload .357 Sig (yet).

I bought a Springfield XD in .357 Sig but sold it pretty quickly when I discovered that I did not like it. I just don't like the XD pistols, not the round. I have been thinking of getting a .357 barrel for my Sig 229 and trying again.

If I do get that barrel, then I will reload for it!
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  4. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

Many 357sig loaders start with a 40sw carbide sizer, then finish with the 357sig steel sizer. Since the 40sw die takes care of the case body, the 357sig die is only working the shoulder and neck, and does not need lubrication.

I highly recommend the Lee collet type FCD for bottleneck pistol cartridges.

The Hornady seating die works very well on bottleneck pistol cartridges, and Redding's highly regarded Competition seater die is available in 357sig.

Andy