Decided to reload, but have question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Bertgamble2001, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bertgamble2001

Bertgamble2001 New Member

Hi all,

I have decided to go ahead and start reloading and am doing some research on components. I have a 45 ACP, and my reloads will only be for target practice. I will use factory loads for protection.

I am wondering about the many different kinds of bullets available. There are 3 in particular that I am considering.

The Rainer are the least expensive with a calculated 18.5 cents a completed round. Then there is the Berrys Preffered that works out to 19.5 cents a round. These are both copper electroplated rather than FMJ.

The last bullet is the FMJ Winchester that calculates to 20.5 cents a round.

Since I plan on shooting about 1000 rounds a month, the difference between the three is only 20 dollars, but over a few years it adds up. These prices are all from Cabelas since I can pick up at the store and avoid shipping charges.

Do you guys have strong feelings either way about electroplated bullets?

I know that you have to reduce the powder significantly when you use them. Does this reduction in powder affect the accuracy, or the ability of the weapon to cycle the ammunition smoothly?

I have also semi decided to purchase the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit. I know that the Dillon is faster, but for some reason I like the idea of doing it one step at a time. I don't know if that makes me crazy or not.

As always, I appreciate your advice.

Bert
  2. Warith

Warith Member

I use the berry's myself.

You can save a lot of money though if your going to be reloading 1000 a month by purchassing them from some place like dfirectly from Berrys or even more from powdervallyinc.com.

I used to by mine from Cabalas but found I was saving a lot of money by getting them from the inet even with shipping from powdervally. Berrys dont charge shipping if your order is over 50 bucks and 1000 rounds is over that limit so no shipping from them.

just my .02
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

agree with Warith, buy in bulk qty 5k of bullets is much cheaper. I usually buy in 1k or 2k, but i don't get to shoot 1000 rnds a month :(. I do load 500-1000 per month though. Stocking up for later spring and summer shoots. Last time I bought .32 hardcast bullets, I paid $79 for 2000, that included the shipping. 1000 .380 from Berrys' ran me right at $63 shipped.

As far as presses go, if you're going to do 1k a month, DO NOT BUY A SINGLE STAGE !!!! :eek::eek: You're going to regret it after the first 100 rounds. Just my opinion though, you can certainly do it and there is something to be said for enjoying one's time while reloading. A progressive, either auto or manually indexed is going to be what you WILL end up with eventually. I'm 99.9% certain of this. If most of what you're going to load is going to be pistol, then even a the Lee Classic cast turret would be ok. I own, love and will never part with my RockChucker, it however doesn't get used unless I'm doing heavy decapping or large rifle. I can use the progressive to reload 1000 rounds in 1/8 the time that it would take me on single stage. Time is in very short supply in my case.

Is there anyone close by that reloads? If you could get some hands on with a press, you'll get a good feel for it.

Hope this helps ya,

Woolley
  4. Bertgamble2001

Just ordered 5000 bullets from Powder Valley at a very good price. I will still pick up the rest at Cabelas to avoid the haz fees. They were listed a .452 diameter. Will that be a problem? Most of the others are listed as .451. Will 1/1000th of an inch make a difference?

Thanks for the info on the site.

Bert
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. woolleyworm

.451 is common for jacketed .45acp
    .452 is common for lead and plated .45acp

I have seen plated at .451 also. It more depends on your gun, but .452 is not going to be a problem. .001 can make a difference in accuracy, but isn't going to blow up your gun or anything.
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

Another VERY satisfied plated bullet reloader here and please consider a Lee Classic turret or one of the many very fine and more costly progressive presses. At your anticipated ammo use that single stage it going to get old real fast.
  7. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

Are you shooting a Glock or have some other reason for using plated bullets?
    If not, the lead 200 Grn Semi Wadcutter is a fantastic bullet over a small charge of Bulleseye, makes for a very inexpensive load.
    I have a Glock 21 and will soon be buying a barrel with regular rifling because of the low cost of the lead rounds.

When it comes to progerssives, stay away from the Lee Turret. I bought one and everytime the bullet goes into the die, it lifts the plate that holds the dies, which cants the die in relationship to the bullet.
    The Dillon 550B is really hard to beat. I've loaded thousands of rounds of 45 auto with one, 400 to 500 an hour if your set up right is no problem.
    A very high quality press.
    Be sure to stick with ball powders in a progressive. The stick powders do not meter accurately and can log jam in the throat of the powder measure.

Enjoy, reloading is not only fun, but relaxing.
    You won't save much money cause you'll just shoot more and when the reloading bug catches you, you can spend a lot on precision equipment.
    Do buy quality equipment and it will last a lifetime if taken care of.
    My Best, John K
  8. woolleyworm

The other progressive that I considered was the Hornady LNL, I've heard lots of good things about it also. What I didn't like was the breech lock design of it, some complaints about them being "loose". Easily fixed though and not a problem after shimming them. The free bullets are a great bonus too.
  9. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

I have reloaded rainer and berrys and whichever is less at the time of need is what I buy and great advise on the auto progressive reloader but if you are really going to do a large volume the hornady- casefeeder and bullet feeders ar less than the RCBS all you have to do is purchase the large or small pistol and or rifle plates and then for pistol to buy the dies to feed the bullet but they are only 16.00 or so cheap enough.
  10. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I agree, the lock n load has served me extremely well. Cost vs quality is unbeatable. The rockchucker is great for low quantity high quality reloading sounds like you may need at least a semi progressive press though. Btw welcome to the forum and reloading
  11. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

+1 for the Hornady LNL. I started reloading just over a year ago on one and haven't looked back. I am very happy with it. Try this link for jacketed bullets. Shipping is free and they are about the same price as plated bullets.
    www.precisiondeltasales.com/
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  12. Bertgamble2001

No, not a Glock. I have an XD 45. I am pretty new to this shooting thing and thought the 230 grain round nose was the bullet to shoot. I have already ordered 5k of the plated, so maybe next time I will use the 200 grain.

Thanks
  13. DGG!

DGG! New Member

You didn't say what size you are thinking of reloading. The smaller the cheaper. I bought a bunch of 200 gr lead ball for not much and they are great target (and probably anything else) loads. You should really just shop around, check BrandX, etc. and see what deals there are. Folks are always cleaning out the closet and you can find some good prices.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  14. Bertgamble2001

I decided on the Hornaday Lock N Load. I bought the RCBS die set because it is carbide. I also got the Powder Cop. (I like the powder cop better than the audible alarm on the Dillion). All of it is on backorder at Cabelas. I should be getting started in a month or so. I didn't buy the case feeder yet because I want to place them myself at least for a little while. Also it doesn't cost any more to add it later.

I am in the process of reading the ABC's of reloading. One thing that I haven't been able to find in the book is: How deep do you go when you are expanding the case to hold the bullet? All I have found is where it says not to do it too deep or it cuts down on the number of times the case can be reloaded. I plan on trying to reproduce factory rounds as near as I can becasue they fire and cycle so well in my gun.

Do you guys deburr the primer pockets on handgun ammo? I think I read where it isn't necessary.

I wish one of you guys lived near by so I could learn some in person. I will have to ask the gun range guys to let me watch them reload. They will probably do it for a fee.

Can't believe how excited I am to do this. Like a kid waiting for a Disneyland trip.
  15. woolleyworm

You want to bell the case mouth only enough so that the bullet will start into the case. The min amount needed to do that. It's a fairly easy process of trial and error; may waste a few cases in the learning stages, but it's pretty easy. Can't wait for you to get your press in; meanwhile, you've got a great read, the ABC's is very good.
  16. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Bert, I load and shoot alot of hardcast lead. They are cheap (.125 per loaded rd) and allow you to shoot more. Never had a problem providing you expand the mouth correctly (don't want to shave lead). I agree with Mr. Worm, won't be long and you will get a progressive. Then it's bucket after bucket!
  17. Bertgamble2001

I know that the lead bullets are cheaper but they won't let me use them at the range I go to because of the lead fumes in the air. They actually check your ammo before you can go out. I don't know if it applies to all states, but the range guy told me it is a 10K fine if they were to have a person shoot lead. Maybe in the summer I will find an outdoor place that will allow lead. Until then, it will be the plated stuff.
  18. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Bert, I feel for you. Won't be long before it will be a 10k fine for shooting ANY round through your handgun where you live.