Deciding on a press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Steelerfan55, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Steelerfan55

Steelerfan55 New Member

I have been loading with my stepfather on and off for about 3 years or so now, so I've decided the times come to buy my own stuff. I'm leaning very heavily toward the RCBS master reloading kit. I'm wondering if there are any web sites that have comparisons. Cabela's offers a Lee kit for far less, but I'm kind of leery of it. Ya get what you pay for. If you folks know of any sites, or have any opinions, please help.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

You often don't get what you pay for. The equipment from LEE is high quality and sturdy, just not quite as shiny waxed and polished as some of the other brands.

I've used Lee, Lyman, CH and Oehler since the late 40's and have yet to break anything major. I bought the Dillon 500 about 7 years ago and am very pleased with it and the company.

In MY opinion, you would be hard pressed to find any major brand reloading tool on the market today which is of truely inferior quality.

There...that should bring out some comments. :D

Welcome to the addiction,,,errrrr,,,hobby.

And, while I'm at it: WELCOME TO TFF

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2003
  3. cd45

cd45 New Member

I have been using a Lee for about 15 years, and have had no problems. I use RCBS, Lee and most other brands.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

If you haven't checked out a Dillon press, you should.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Started with a RCBS rockchucker and then bought a Dillon XL-650. Have never looked back and still use the RCBS once in a while.
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Welcome Steeler fan:

The Lee products are the most reasonable priced but you get what you pay for these days, the only starter press I like they make is the 4-hole die turret model. All other Lee products are pretty good excepth the lousy powder measure and grain scale they use...which not compatible with other makes standardization. (different formulas)

The late mode Lyman Crusher II is not a good engineered press, its fault lays with the rotten designed toggle linkage system, it is loose as a goose and needs to be more ridgid and smooth in operation. I sent a brand new one back because of that poorly toggle link system.

RCBS is good quality, but Dillion is even better buck for buck. The Dillon AT-500 is a good beginners press, it is basically a progressive but don't let that scare you...it don't have all the bells and whistles like auto powder measure or auto priming...which you can add later on.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Gunguy
  7. shooter22

shooter22 Guest

FIrst of all I'll tell you that I use stricktly Hornady presses. I would check them out.

I was at the right place at the right time last month and I picked up a slightly used Lee Loadmaster with six or seven shell plates and die head holders. It has the case feed and the powder dispenser, and auto primer feed. I have on use for it, I just was the only one to bid on it at the auction and got it. I am asking $150 and I pay shipping, or $100 and you pay shipping if you are interested.
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Shooter....that's mine, if we can work out a payment schedule. Remember, school bus drivers don't get full paychecks during the summer.

Pops
  9. shooter22

shooter22 Guest

Armedandsafe, sorry, but i have to have the full payment up front. I have to pay my brother back some money and I want to sell the press to do it. I will not advertise the press in the near future if you want to save the money up and get it later.

Sorry if this is a problem.
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Sell it as soon as you get a buyer. I'd have to wait for the Nov 1st paycheck, so don't hold your breath (unless you look good in blue. :) ) Thanks. I appreciate the offer.

Pops