Decisions and Changes

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by DWARREN123, Jan 22, 2008.

1. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I have for quite awhile been thinking I have too many different handgun calibers. I have settled on 2 calibers for handguns, the 22lr and the 40 S&W. The 22lr for good inexpensive fun and the 40 S&W because I believe it is the best compromise handgun caliber, my thinking/opinion only.
    I have done some selling and trading and have ended up with just 4 handgunss now, 2 in 40 and 2 in 22lr. The 40's are a CZ 75 Compact, which I had and a new GLOCK 23. The 22's are a CZ 75 Kadet and a new Beretta model 21 Bobcat in stainless steel.
    I have reduced my rifles down also in the past and am finding I am enjoying the less is better principle.
    Have any of you gone the same way? Less firearms or calibers?
  2. dusty9

dusty9 Member

Welllllll, I can't really say that I have. I shoot vastly more .22 LR than .22 WMR. I use light or standard loaded .38 for practice and don't shoot a lot of .357. I shoot a lot more .45 ACP than .45 LC because I have only one revolver for .45 LC and 2 revolvers and 2 semi autos for .45 ACP. I shoot a lot of 9mm for practice because I have 3 9mm semi autos and 1 revolver (Blackhawk convertible). I have a Glock 23 .40S&W for primary defense/CCW and 2 9mm Glocks, a l7L and 26. I do carry the G26 a lot, though. I did sell off a .44 magnum a while back, because I just had no need anymore for a .44, and I sold/traded two rifles because I did not use or need them anymore. So maybe I have thinned out my collection some. I enjoy having and shooting a variety of firearms. For instance, I have a number of .22 handguns, but no two of them are identical. Same with .38 & .357. I have 5 .22 rifles, none of them identical.

One thing you need to know: it took over 40 years to acquire the firearms I now have. I have only recently begun to have the time to use them frequently.

Anyway, there is certainly nothing wrong with your ideas of reducing the variety of calibers and firearms. The old saying "Beware of the man with only one gun - he is probably very good with it" has a lot of truth to it.
  3. williamd

williamd New Member

22rf (2), 22rfm (1), 380 (2), 9mm (3), 38Special (2), 357 (2), 40 S&W (2), 41M (1), 45 ACP (3) (auto and wheel) ..... need to do a few more years of and analysis! Heck, I can't even decide between semi-auto and wheel! :D
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Variety is the spice of life! :) .177 .22, .38 .357 .40 .45. pistols .177 .22 .223 .308 rifles
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

NO!!!!!!!

How can you enjoy every cartridge ever made if you only have a few guns. I reload for more than 30 different cartridges. Variety makes it for me and I have only a few guns in the same caliber. I look for guns in calibers that I don't already have!

LDBennett
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

:D I'll say no too...

The last time I "thinned the herd", it wasn't voluntary. Fire did me in...along with not enough insurance coverage to replace my collection.

Afterwards, I decided that I'd stick with the basics of a .22LR, a .380, and a .357. That was okay for a couple years, but the itch for something new started to bug me again and I've added a few since then. Needed a .45 auto for plate shooting again...and then I tried a .38Super 1911 (with intentions of building a dual-caliber .38Super/10mm setup that never happened). A few 9mms have come and gone too.

But if you're looking for just the basics, the two calibers you've chose should do ya nicely.
  7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Basics is a good way to put it. My rifles come in 22lr, 22 WMR, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R and 7.92X57 (8mm) Mauser. All fun and all have their place but I could get by with a 22lr and any one of the rifles.
    And a 12ga semi auto shotgun, got to have a shotgun.
    Yes I believe I am just trying to get back to some basics and uncomplicate a small area of my life.
    Thank all of you (ya'll) for your replies.:)
  8. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    About 3 years ago since I never used them anymore, I decided to sell all my guns - big mistake.
    Now I have a renewed interest in going to the range and target shooting, and also CCW.
    As you can see by my signature, I have been busy starting a new collection.
    And each of a different caliber...
  9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I have started to stay with fewer calibers for the simple reason that if we all have to run and hide more ammo. and they fit almost all the guns. And not 14 guns and 14 different types of ammo..
  10. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

What? No Shotgun? Everybody needs a 12 Gauge Pump!