1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by JohnK3, Jun 20, 2006.

?

Which pocket gun?

1. Buy the Colt Detective and carry it!

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. You'd be crazy to carry the Colt; buy the S&W Airweight.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Just get a little pocket semi-auto.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Get bigger pockets.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Okay, I was over at the LGS to pick up the FFL info for Katydid's birthday present. I've been considering getting a pocket gun for everyday carry. Well, I looked at a Kel-Tec, a Kahr, a Bersa and some others. Then I saw a beautiful Colt Detective Special in .38 Special. Looks like it was made in 1979 or thereabouts, from the owners manual and paperwork with it. Bluing is 95%, just a bit of wear near the muzzle from the holster. Grips in good shape. They want $450 for the gun.

Only problem is, while I'd love to own it, I'd rather own it for a collectible shooter, than carry it every day. On top of that, they also had a nice Airweight S&W with the concealed hammer in .38 Special that would fit my pocket better and I wouldn't worry about messing up a nice little collector's piece.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I'm glad to see that 100% of everybody agrees with me!! Now that is uncommon and very rare. Ohhh wait, I'm the only one who voted so far!

I'm a firm believer in full frame longer barrel handguns.

Just my 2 cents, thats all.
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I went for the small semi.

My most common carry is a KelTec P32 with one extra mag. It all fits into my front pants pocket and is totally concealed.

I even wear it to church if I'm going to Boise after services.

Other times it's a trusty 1911A1.
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Get the Colt. 6 shots as opposed to only 5 in the Smith, smooth action, and they are only going to get more expensive.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree with Lead.

Having that one additional shot could be very good insurance.
    I carry a S&W older Model 60. Nice little weapon but only five shots.....
  6. Go for the Smith Airweight, John. Yeah, you have one less shot, but what are you more likely to be shooting, Rommel's entire Afrika Corps or a couple of punks in a Walmart parking lot? Seriously, if you're not a duty cop on the job, the likleyhood of getting into any kind of a sustained firefight is pretty remote, about like your chance of getting struck by lightning. Besides, you can always carry a speedloader or Bianchi speedstrip in case you need to reload. I do. You seem to hint that you want a nice, light, unobtrusive piece for those occasions when something larger is impractical or not worth the trouble. The Airweight fits those criteria very nicely indeed. I probably carry one of mine more than any other pistol or revolver I own. The weapon you leave at home because it's too big and heavy won't do you much good if you should need it. By all means, buy the Colt to add to your collection. The Dick Special is a fine little weapon, but you can't beat the Smith J-frame Airweight for easy, comfortable carry.
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Didn't vote because no choice for either or
    Colt Detective Airweight S&W

Either a good choice as long as the Airweight is 38SPL.
    The Airweight in 357 makes the hand smart a bit
    Well more like damn well hurts :D :D :D

Forget the plastic semi crap, revolvers go boom everytime :eek:
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

JohnK3 I really am a full frame man but if you going for a pocket piece I recomend a KEL-TEC
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Southern, I, too, prefer full-sized. (Or, very nearly so.)

I own a Kimber Compact Stainless II. It's in my avatar.

Problem is, it's a bit difficult to carry without a jacket or a vest. Summer here in Georgia hasn't been too conducive to wearing either. Putting a smaller weapon in a pocket seems to fit the bill.

One thing I've noticed about the Kel-Tec compared to the NAA is the ease of breakdown for cleaning. The Kel-Tec has a barrel-link button, similar to the slide-release on a 1911 or similar auto. Problem is, the darn thing needs three hands to take down! The NAA was extremely simple to take down, just pull back a bit on the trigger, making the hammer release a bit of tension on the slide, then grab the slide and the take-down latch and voila! The slide comes right off, going back on the same way.

The revolvers were even easier to take down. [grin]

[sigh]

She'll probably only let me buy one gun this go-'round. I may end up going with the Colt just to get my hands on that nice little piece!
  10. Marlin

Since I must be on oxygen 24/7/365, I carry my protable heater in the small tank oxygen case. No one would ever suspect and I can carry full size or smaller. Due to the weight, I generally carry a small frame revolver, but very often a 9mm with 15 rnd mags or a 1911.

That way I don't have to worry about a shirt, jacket or accidentally showing at any time.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'm not trying to be a smartalick...but is it possible that the discharge of a gun could ignite your oxygen ?
    My mom is on oxygen now and home health is quite paranoid about possible ignition sources.
    A necessary risk if your being threatened, i will admit....but it makes me wonder.
    That would be one heck of a bang !!!!

mike
    gn
  12. Marlin

Oxygen is non-flamable, Mike. It is only a catalyst to other flamable materials.:)

A gun sitting in the oxygen case beside the oxygen bottle has no more chance of getting mad and attacking me or anyone else than one in a holster!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course, the liberals will tell you that guns are dangerous since they will attack you and others......:mad: :mad:
    BULL GUANO - to the libs, that is.
  13. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Mike, it's always possible that firing his gun could create a spark that could ignite his oxygen, but it would have to be a very prescribed set of circumstances, and the chances of it happening are not great.
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Are there several type of oxygen. I know "pure" oxygen is very very flamable.....

mike
    gn
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Mythbusters tested the Jaws "SHOOT A TANK AND IT BLOWS UP".. NEGATIVE By the way just for info they used a 30-06. The tanks on oxygen tanks are very thick due to high pressure I usually take a high power cartridge to penetrate them.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006