Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by E-Rez, May 10, 2010.

1. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I've been wanting an all-around pistol for carry around the farm and woods. This gun will be getting dirty, scratched, and at times (do I dare say it?) neglected.

The two guns I'm debating are a 4" GP100 and a Glock 20. I have my reasons why each would be a good choice, but I'd like to hear from others.

What says you?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

For farm and woods, GP100 IMO no contest.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Sounds like a job for a revolver and the GP-100 is a great choice. Rugged and reliable, just give it a little tlc cleaning once in a while and your good to go.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

This kinda fits in with the conversation in my GP100/.327 thread.
    Personally, I kinda prefer a small-frame for "farm-yard beater gun" use...nothing wrong with a medium-frame like the GP though.
    A friend of mine also carries a .38 J-frame AirLite with 3" tube and adjustable sights. I can't remember the model number right offhand though. That's a bit too light for comfortable shooting...but you can carry it around all day and not even realize it's there.

Given those two choices, I concur with Terry and WW. A good 4" .357 revolver is hard to beat for general use out in the country.
    If the GP fits your hand then it would probably be an excellent choice, but don't overlook a Smith, Taurus, or Colt medium-frame either if you find a good used one.
    As for use/abuse, a stainless GP is probably the toughest thing you can buy for a farm beater. Mom carries hers daily during calving season (usually on the four-wheeler basket with the rest of the calving supplies). It gets splattered with some mud, a bit of rain or snow, you name it. I clean it up pretty regularly but in the meantime the stainless makes it easy to maintain and keeps the rust away.

As for the autoloaders,
    I carry an IJ-70 Mak or a P6 Sig every now and then too. Because I reload, I really hate to lose the empties in the grass though!
    If you reload (or are considering it) you'd probably prefer a revolver.

If you don't want to go stainless, consider something with a RoBar NP3 finish on it or something similar...another tough finish that helps keep the rust away.
  5. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Great advice, thanks bindernut.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the gp100 is built like a tank, that would be my choice, my second choice would be a taurus 608. large frame 8 shot 357, also built like a tank
  7. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Ok, so the Glock is out now.

Since I'm going revolver, why not bump it up to a 5.5" Redhawk in 45 colt or 44 mag?
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

nonsense. get the glock, if youre gonna neglect it, when it gets dirty you can wash it in the dishwasher and dry it in the microwave:D
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I own a 4" Redhawk in 44 Mag and a 4" GP 100, both are great revolvers. I personally shoot the GP better but I have also had it longer. The GP weights less and costs less so you have to be the one to decide whether the additional weight and cost are less important than the increased power.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

:D :D :D
    Then you can chunk it in the trash where it belongs!
  11. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are pretty much sold on the GP or the Glock. Neither are a bad choice. I carry a Beretta 92FS in a GI shoulder rig while working on the farm. It stays out of the way but handy while plowing or mending fenceline. Years ago I carried an old Walther P-38 in the same rig because of the double action, but since the Walther is getting long in the tooth (and so am I) I switched to the Beretta.

A revolver would be handier in snake country because of the ability to better handle shot-shells. I'd go with a .44 or .45 Colt loaded with snake shot in that case.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

For my taste anyway...A GP is about all the heavier that I want to carry around all day. I still like my little IJ-70 Mak too but the one I carry most often around the farm is my SP101 4" .22lr. I seldom get to carry my GP100 since mom kinda laid claim to it...I suppose I need to buy another someday! LOL

Loaded, a 4" GP will weigh in about 2.5-2.6lbs. A 5.5" Redhawk will weigh in about 3.25lbs I think (I'm going off of memory on this one).
    If you prefer the larger bores, then the Redhawk might be a good choice.
    It all depends on what you're wanting to have on had for firepower and how much weight you're willing to carry around. Everyone will have a different idear on what they prefer. Be sure you fill your needs.

The same goes for your holster rig too. It might take you a few purchases (or borrowed rigs) to find the one that you like best.
    Jim brady posted that he uses a shoulder rig. A good choice to keep things out of the way if you're climbing in and out of the tractor cab or pickup or if you're climbing through fences a lot.
    I prefer a good high-ride pancake type holster myself (Bianchi #7 or Blackhawk 42xxxx style)...I tried out a shoulder rig for a while but after the first pasture run on horseback I was ready to throw the darn thing away. I swear it took a couple weeks for the bruises to heal from getting a Commander beat against my ribs for a couple hours! Now that we mostly use 4-wheelers, this isn't a real problem anymore but I still prefer belt carry.
  13. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

I've owned a GP100 .357 stainless for several years. You can't go wrong with one. Easy to clean, ya can't break it and it never fails. I installed a Hogue grip and it's a very comfortable gun to use.
  14. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I couldn't have asked for any better advice. Keep it coming!