Decocker lever on Interarms PPKS hard to decock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ADO, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ADO

ADO New Member

I'm wondering if anyone knows what this problem could be....I have an Interarms PPKS and the decocker /safety lever is hard to decock when the hammer is back....goes half way down then it must be forced hard to
    finish decocking the hammer...however if you take alittle tension off the hammer with your thumb
    The lever will move fine....had a gun smith take it apart ...said every thing looked fine....tried my slide on someone else's gun and it worked fine....can't be the slide....gunsmith can't figure it ou either......ANYONE????.?.?.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Is this gun new to you? If not, was it working smoothly before and now it is not? There a few things happening in the frame when the safety catch is depressed. Attention should be paid to the hammer release, hammer block and its spring.

It's unfortunate whoever looked at your gun couldn't figure it out. We'd be glad to handle that for you.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If that interface between the safety and the hammer release (decocking lever) isn't quite right, or the lever is shaped wrong, the safety cam will jam against the point of the lever. The usual answer is a new lever. A gunsmith who knows those guns might get it working right with a little tinkering, but that would certainly cost more than the $10 or so the lever will run from Gun Parts.

Jim
  4. ADO

ADO New Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, the gun works great but that lever is driving me crazy. Wondering if it's really worth sending somewhere not knowing what it will cot to send it, fix it, then send it back ....do I have to go through a FFL dealer both ways ?????? $$$$$$& but thanks for the guidance
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

You do not have to go through an FFL on your end. You must ship to an FFL, and the FFL can return the firearm directly back to you. You would not be able to use the US Post Office for a handgun, so you have to figure the cost of FedEx/UPS vs the cost to have a dealer use Priority Mail.

Estimated cost to fix the gun is $60, or less.
  6. ADO

ADO New Member

Now that sounds like a good price. Have you heard of a problem like this?
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Yep. More common on the S&W Walthers though. Somebody may have buggered the hammer release trying to take the gun apart.
  8. ADO

ADO New Member

Any idea on the turn around time? I will check out your site thanks again..what's your charge to send it back......

Thanks for all you time and input:D
  9. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Actual shipping. Lead time is running 2-3 weeks right now.
  10. ADO

ADO New Member

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check on the shipping....I hope it's that easy to fix.....