Deep Carry: Which do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by FranklyTodd, Nov 27, 2007.

?

P-3AT vs. Smith lightweight .38 for POCKET carry

1. Kel-tec P-3AT

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. Smith J-frame (scandium or titanium)

41 vote(s)
    64.1%
  1. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

Glock 27 for most carry, but I want a true "pocket gun" too.

Kel-tec P-3AT vs. Smith lightweight J-frame (titanium or scandium). Don't consider $$$ - I don't buy enough guns to worry about a few bucks.

Boils down to: does the knock-down and reliability edge of the J-frame outweigh the amazing concealability of the P-3AT?

I'm leaning towards the P-3AT, as I have an old Charter Undercover .38 snub and it's not great for pocket carry. It also weighs like 37lbs., so maybe in the lighter weight the J would be fine...

Thanks for voting, and providing any thoughts!
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Seecamp .380.....

[​IMG]
  3. It's a matter of what you like, Todd. Personally, I don't care for the Kel-Tec pistols because of their excessively (in my opinion) long and heavy trigger pull. I much prefer the J-frame for its greater stopping power and far greater reliability.
  4. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

Thanks Pistol - I've been lurking awhile, and your posts are consistently high quality and helpful.

I feel without question the Smith is a better gun, in ALMOST every respect. My one hesitation and plus for the KT is just that it is so small, I suspect there will be times when I might carry it when everything else is too bulky. I don't care much about the trigger pull - I think I can get used to anything to be accurate out to 7yds, and I don't have any misconception that shooting a P3AT will be enjoyable! It's just a tool.

If I was sure I'd carry the Smith exactly as often as the KT, I'd get the Smith without hesitation. While obviously nobody can actually answer THAT question :confused: I thought if I spurred some opinions by others, it might cinch it for me...

Thanks again!
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I have both, with the Smith being a 642... The KelTec is no trouble to drop in your pocket with no imprint inside a pocket holster... The Smith has an imprint because of the bulky cylinder. If you want to make sure you don't have a problem carrying *something* then the KelTec is awesome for that. And you're right, the .380 in that light gun is no fun to shoot. With target loads and Winchester Silvertips it's bearable but with Corbon ammo it will make your hand tired quickly. There's no doubt that the Smith is more reliable though. I prefer the .380 because I know that I couldn't stand to carry the Smith all the time...
  6. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

Did I say don't worry about $$$ ?? :confused:

I just bought a Smith 340 with the compact overmold Crimson Trace and spent more than 2x what the Glock 27 set me back... :eek:

Doesn't seem right, but in reality, will probably carry the 340 twice as often, so maybe all is right with the world.... It "shows" in a pocket, but doesn't really look much like a gun, and weighs next to nothing... I'll be shocked it I can't carry it consistently without worry of being "made."

Now what to shoot in it... 357s sound painful, but the overmold CT is supposed to help! Probably +p for me!

Thanks everybody - and nothing against Kel-tec. That will be my next purchase if the 340 seems too bulky next summer...
  7. durk

durk New Member

I have the Kel-Tec 380 with the pocket/knife clip. I love it for a summer gun!
  8. obxned

obxned New Member

KelTec P3AT on the belt clip. Hides better than anything else I've found, and has similar power to the .38 Special but more rounds. Ammo for the .380 has improved a lot, some giving 200+ foot/pounds of energy and decent expansion and penetration.
  9. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

UPDATE Re: Deep Carry: Which do you recommend?

Asked the dealer when buying the M&P340 if I could get Smith-branded CT laser grips (absolutely shame on me for not knowing the answer to the question before I went there). He said no, so I bought LG-405 grips.

Of course 10 minutes after I get home I find you CAN get a 340 with stock CT grips (branded S&W), or even order them aftermarket direct from Smith ($10 cheaper than the dealer, btw). So, annoyed, I returned the laser grips to the dealer. It's just cosmetic, they are the same grips, one just has the S&W logo, but it was partially the principle that the guy bs'd me. :mad:

So now, I'm half considering buying the Kel-Tec instead of the S&W CT grips - they are about the same price!!! :D

Instead of rushing in, as I am frequently guilty of doing, I'm going to carry the 340 sans laser for at least a few weeks, then I'll decide. It has night sights, who needs a laser... :p

Actually I pocket carried my G27 today in khakis and it wasn't too horrible walking around - not as concealed as IWB, but a heck of a lot more comfortable for ME, especially while driving! If I could just convince my WIFE that carry as often as possible was wise, I don't think I'd worry about "printing" as much...:rolleyes: She thinks carry is for when you have to go visit your investment real estate in a bad neighborhood... Not all her fault, that's the story I sold her when I went to CCW class...;)

Ok, sorry - too much caffeine today - rambling.........
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  10. durk

durk New Member

Re: UPDATE Re: Deep Carry: Which do you recommend?

You should have just taken her through the class with you. That's what I did with my wife!:)
  11. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    S&W J frame in stainless (I don't like titanium alloys) & Kahr P9, which is smaller and lighter, but because of the squarish and angular geometry of the thing, the revolver is easier to hide.
  12. azsigman

azsigman New Member

I have a 442 and a P3AT. I carry the Smith and my wife likes the KT in her purse.
  13. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    I tried the Keltec, but it just doesn't fit my hand...:(

So I carry the Smith J frame weighing 15 oz.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  14. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

I carry my Kahr MK40 most of the time. It's comfortable and very accurate. (I have 1in 5rnd groupings at 15m from hand, not machine rest).
    [​IMG]
    Before I bought it, I almost bought a North American Arms Guardian .32Acp but opted for the Kahr due to the larger caliber.

As far as your options, I'm a sucker for revolvers but I would personally prefer the .357Mag. It's all about what you will carry, what is comfortable, and what you can shoot. A lot of people complain about the recoil of .40 but it's what I started shooting so it's nothing to me. Shooting a G27 is a fun outing for me. :D
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

The little Ti-lite Smith, at less than 11 oz's, is a handful, in service, but reliable as the sunrise; if I'm 'traveling light', it is my companion; I prefer the 1911 pattern pistol, and have several, scarcely bigger, but heavier, than this little wheel gun, so the choices are close to endless: guess the 'gun du jour' depends on the weather!
  16. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

I just cannot get away from the P3 for its concealable characteristics.

The .380, with the proper ammo, is certainly enough to get any goblins attention.
  17. Michael G

Michael G New Member

My Kel-Tec goes with me unless It's cool enough to carry something bigger under a coat. I like the ten shot clip too.
  18. noslolo

noslolo New Member

walther pps, it's just so darn thin, I love them. But it is hard to go wrong with a 340 loaded with +P, the .357mag is just a beast on the hands.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  19. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

S&W 642 - I just love this revolver.
  20. RMT

RMT New Member

I have a G27 too. A J-frame is on my short list of next guns to get...