Deer and lyme disease

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Metalman2004, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 New Member

I was watching the news this morning and they mentioned that environmental factors are leading to more ticks this year and they are predicting more lyme disease this year. Most of the stuff I have read says that you can't get the lyme disease if you cook the meat thoroughly ( 160 degrees). However, most backstrap recipes suggest being cooked to medium rare. I understand that basically all ground meat must be cooked thoroughly like a burger, but what about the nicer cuts of meat like the backstrap?
  2. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

This is the first time I heard of getting Lyme disease from eating venison. I know you can get it from a tick bite. I've gone the antibiotic route before because of it.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Here you go to ease your mind a little.

To read more on the subject look here. http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/Transmission/
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Just curious.
    Where did you read/hear that you COULD get Lyme disease from eating meat?
    Was it on the news?
  5. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 New Member

Fox news In Houston did a little spot on environmental conditions being right for more ticks than usual this year. It said that speculators think it could lead to higher numbers of animals and humans potentially getting lyme disease. They did not specifically say that you can get it by eating meat, I just thought I would look into it. After Googling it, I found a lot of very contradicting answers from random sights. I would trust the center for disease control much more than Google any day.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Lyme is a bacteria so treatment is easy Doxycycline or cipero will take care of it quickly in a human. It is when you leave it untreated and it goes for a long time.

My son got 1 tick a few summers ago while we were out Geocaching and he ended up with it. My wife daughter and I all had 4 or 5 I had 7 ticks and none of us got lyme. He did a round of Doxy and was good to go.

You might get it from eating raw game meat and have an open wound in your throat or stomach like an ulcer. So don't go playing Twilight in the woods eating raw deer and squirrels.
  7. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

I live next door to Lyme CT, home of the dreaded disease. My father and I both had it...bad news. However, we were bit by a tick. Never heard of getting it from eating meat. You just go on and eat those delicious straps, bloody red. Think i'd rather have Lyme and a rare steak than no disease and shoe leather for dinner.
  8. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Lyme desease from eating venison is probably from the same guy who said you get lead poisoning from eating deer shot with a bullet. Anything to save bambi.
  9. lexjes

lexjes New Member

Have to be anti-hunting crowd giving more fuel to their agenda. I do not trust the cdc very far either. A lot of sheepal will believe though.

lexjes
  10. langenc

langenc Member

Igf I recall correctly lyme dont come from the meat but from a bite from the tick that likes to also bite the deer and live on the warm body.

Google lyme and read all about it.

Cpttango--Cipro should be saved for something that really needs it. Tetravycline is good for lyme--take regularly for the suggested duration, I dont recall probably 10 days or more.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Ok so you don't trust the people who say don't eat deer or you get Lyme. And you don't trust the people who say eat all you want just make sure you cook it properly before consuming it. So where do you get your info on the matter?
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Oh I agree with the save the good stuff for when needed. 90% of infections can be treated with old school antibiotics.
  13. lexjes

lexjes New Member

1 Yes I did say that.
    2 No I did not say that.

No I do not trust most of the garbage released by the Government. PERIOD
    My info: Working with my dad as a teenager in the construction field while
    watching him deal with inspectors and DEP. Working with health and safety officials (Government) in my own business affairs. The same cdc that informed us of aids, swine flu, bird flu, ect. I learned my info from the school of life lessons. Not from Dan Rather news.

lexjes
  14. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I had a pathogenic micro professor quote: "Remember, it is better to have loved and failed a Wasserman test than never to have loved at all." The Wasserman test was an old seriological test for syphilis and this advice was given post antibiotic introduction and pre antibiotic resistant syphilis. Spray down with DEET and eat the meat. Hogs, and bears are a different story with the brucella and trichnia - wear gloves and cook it real good. Ya'll have any CWD in deer in your neck of the woods? Any concerns with it?
  15. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

AMEN.

There are only three ways to cook beef. RARE, MEDIUM RARE, and BURNT.

There are only TWO ways to cook Venison... RARE and BURNT.

As for CWD, I am staying aware, even though no cases have been confirmed in Indiana yet, they have been confirmed in Michigan so it may be just a matter of time....

Just do NOT eat any brain or spinal cord matter of the deer and you should be OK. Yeah, if you hit it in the head or the spine you should discard any meat that MAY have been contaminated by brain or spinal matter....

...but since I do not eat the brain at all, about the only concession I have made so far is I no longer butcher my neck roasts by cutting through the spine. I "fillet" the meat around the neck bone/spine, and actually end up with a really nice roast if I feel like it, or really prime meat for grinding.

Since I am a long term "convert" to "deboning" all my other venison to do away with ANY "gamey" taste, it's amazing that it took CWD to make me realize that neck roasts too taste much better "deboned..."