The Firearms Forum banner

deer calls

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  goofy 
#1 ·
I am looking at a new deer call I lost my new I got last year and I don't know which one to buy I have looked at several primo and flextone. I mostly looked at the buck roar by primo and the Flextone all in one just wanted to get some thoughts and advice thanks

#2 ·
I own a doe bleat call, but have never found an opportunity to use it in the woods. Either the deer is in range, or I can't even see it, where I hunt. I was taught that a moving deer will pause if you whistle. Not a whistle you buy, but one you make with your mouth. I've never had an opportunity to try this either. I usually use 00Buck, and it don't matter if the deer is moving, or not. I know that wasn't much help, but it's all I have to offer.

#3 ·
The best deer call I have herd of is when you get in the woods and all is calm you put your hands together and with a firm voice you yell "Here deer " Here deer".:rolleyes:
I could not help myself.:p
No really I use a grunt call if I see a buck that is going the wrong way for me to shoot. It has worked but not all the time because the buck has to be in rut for it to work.
I normally use a doe in heat or a fawn bleat.
Deer calls are only good during the rut because it can spook them more often then call them in. And it only works with the ones (doe or buck) that are in rut.
When I use them when I get bored and have not seen anything I usually end up looking at a spike or 4 point.
I have had better luck setting up on scrapes or rubs or on a well traveled path and waiting for the makers to show up.
Mike

#4 ·
We only get about a month to hunt the rut, from the end of November to the first of January. Never tried any of the calls during the rut. Might drag out my call, and give it a try this season.

#5 ·
Goofy is right, grunt calls normally only work when the rut is on. for me it seems like every time they work a buck sneaks in behind me, they never come charging in. I don't know how they know to approach from behind, but that's what they do. So now when I use the call I have started to turn around and blow on the it. Hasn't produced yet, probably got the deer so confused they don't know which way to come in.:confused:

#6 ·
They come in to the call from behind because they want to sneak up on the buck that is calling to see if he is bigger then they are so they do not get there buts kick by a bigger buck. You want to call in all directions so they are confused and just walk in.
That is why I generally use a doe in heat call so they come in looking for some "Action"
Mike

#7 ·
I've used the flextone E-Z-GRUNTER for years with great success. I've found that in most cases a gentle brrrpp brrrppp works best to attract or stop the deer. The bleat can also works very well during the rut. I had a buck cross downwind from me and start out into the marsh/water. I could hear his steps splashing as he walked. I tipped the can and let out a bbmmmaaawh. The buck ran back to within 30 yards of me. I've used the doe bleat can a bunch of times with success, however I used it on a young doe and am fairly certain it's still running away. On another note I don't think the deer snuck up behind a person using a grunt call, I think they came in downwind of what they thought was another deer. Plus if you are hunting a permanent stand I have had three different bucks come up behind 4 poster stands (different ones) and use tree branches to peak to see if the stand was occupied. One stand a previous hunter wrote this "At 4PM look between the split tree branches behind the stand". I looked back and there was a tree with forked trunks and at exactly 4PM a 8 point snuck up, staying behind the tree and peaked between the two limbs, his eyes met mine. He slowly turned keeping the tree between us and drifted away. The following week a hunter sat on a bucket to the right of that tree and bagged that buck.
Also, don't underestimate rattling and grunting at the same time but always be ready to put everything down and pick up your weapon. A couple times I was caught with a set of antlers in my hand instead of my gun or bow.
In any event, good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.