Deer hunting, any luck?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by robman2629, Nov 3, 2012.

1. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

I went out Thursday afternoon, and all day today and didnt see any deer! There were signs all over the place, scrapes, and droppings but no noises or eyes on deer at all. We were around 40 degrees with a 15-20 mph wind and some rain all day. Still have three weeks before end of season, anyone have luck yet? Add pictures if you have them!
  2. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

My vehicles have joined together against me to keep me out of the woods this year...so far the Jeep spit the #5 piston into the bottom of the crankcase and the Neon first dumped the cam position sensor, and after fixing that the transmission is now not downshifting when I come to a stop and the upshifts are random and the torque convertor lockup is evidently burned out as well. I'm currently in talks with the wife to sell everything to the highest bidding junkyard and buy a mid-70's Chevrolet truck with a 350 that has NO computer, NO catalytic convertor, and that I can buy parts for without taking out a loan... hopefully things come together by the first of December so that I can at least go out for the muzzleloader part.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

stopped posting pic's of deer here to stop everyone getting upset ;)

i'm averaging 2 a week here 3 if i feel up to it but it a hassle to drag em outta the scrub
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Went out today for a bit, @ 37* and windy. Didn't see any fresh scrapes or rubs in their usual areas though, kinda surprised. I did find a comfy place sit down and after forty mins spotted movement @ about 50yds, which was my limit of visibility into the brush. A deer was slowly moving and feeding it's way in my direction but I couldn't tell if it had antlers or not until it closed half the distance. Turned out to be a real nice size doe. She wandered to within 15yds of me and then walked broadside to me until she just wandered away. Never knew I was there. I was hoping I would see a buck following her around but that didn't happen... at least today. Things are starting to cool down and there are three weeks left so there's still time and hope.
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Don't you all have some caribou in Maine? Our second season (Nov 1st until end of March) just came back in. I tried getting the wife to ride out on snowmachines and shoot a few and she said wait until kids come home at Xmas from school. I might ride out our road later this week. Sometimes the caribou end up in the woods at base of mnt 4-5 miles behind our house; I like shooting them back there, then the wolves come in to clean up the gut piles and rather shoot some of those eatin machines than anything out and about.

We have a few whitetails moving in from Canada but not thick yet, too many wolves me thinks. Hangin between plus 10 and minus 20 at night, 2 foot of snow, river hasn't froze up yet.
  6. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Deer opener today in MN. I was out a total of 8 hrs between morning and evening. I saw a squirrel this morning and some birds this afternoon. Not a real good start to the season.
  7. savage170

savage170 Member

Went to SC a couple weeks ago for a 3 day hunt didn't do to bad
    [​IMG]
  8. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Utahs season ended last Sunday, all 6 of us in our group got deer. Here's a pic of 4 of them.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I've been out about 20-30 times so far on public land and havent seen squat. I hunted my buddy's place and stuck a doe in the spine at about 30 yards day before yesterday. I shot just a little high obviously. Dont know if I got the range off a bit or if it was just shooting from that high.... My stand is over 30 ft up a tree. Havent practiced shooting from anything other than ground level. Could have also been from being in an awkward position due to my tether hitting my arm. I think my anchor was a little off. My wife put the meat grinder for the kitchen aide in action. I think she is cooking some of it tonight for supper.
  10. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Went out this weekend for season opener. We have seen plenty of does, just no spikes. But it was definitely a bad day for the sow we got she Weighed 90 pounds dressed out.

I wish I could say that I average 2 a week! Good job Jack. I got to say I'm a little jealous.
  11. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Well, day two of the MN season is over. Still no venison. I did see two today but one was in the trees so I couldn' get a good shot and the second that came out in the open was so small that I figured I'd let it grow another year. My buddy got a nice doe at the end of the day though, probably 150-170 gutted. Best doe I've seen in a long time.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Spent the weekend on the mountain. Saw 4 turkeys, 2 chipmunks, 1 squirrel, 1 buzzard and a blue jay. If it weren't for no luck..........
  13. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Ive never seen one. If we do they are north towards the Canadian border. We have big moose though. Some some huge moose tracks out there. My buddy in another part of the state said he saw a good sized doe where we normally hunt but you can only shoot one with a permit, which I have. Wasnt much help though being up north. Other than chipmunks, the only thing I saw was my girl taking a nap against a tree. We had a lot of fun though.
  14. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

Closest I've gotten is bumping one with the old Subaru.
  15. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

wish i had a place to hunt. lost my place about 7-8 years ago. 1000 acres. now in houses
  16. Rneck

Rneck New Member

a small SC 8 point taken on Sat that was trailing a doe.

Attached Files:

17. Rembrandt

Rembrandt New Member

Trophy hunting here (Iowa)....passed up a lot of deer, those big boys take a little more patience. Holding out for a 180 class that's been cruising the neighborhood.....once I saw him everything else seemed tiny.
  18. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

You gotta stay away from those Chrysler products. There's a reason that company went out of business....twice.
  19. twobit

twobit Member

Saturday (Nov 3rd) was opening day. I live on the ranch so I see them (deer) everyday. I walked out and sat in the blind opening morning with the rifle. Saw three (two doe, one buck) did not shoot at any. I heard very few shots so opening day was not successful to very many around here. Did not really plan on shooting one yet, so I had fun just sitting there watching the sunrise and the deer. Still hot down here in SW Texas. It was 60 degrees at sunrise and in the 80's later that day.
  20. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

1 nice doe and picked out my buck for gun season;)
    Mike