The Firearms Forum banner

Deer hunting, any luck?

9K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I went out Thursday afternoon, and all day today and didnt see any deer! There were signs all over the place, scrapes, and droppings but no noises or eyes on deer at all. We were around 40 degrees with a 15-20 mph wind and some rain all day. Still have three weeks before end of season, anyone have luck yet? Add pictures if you have them!

#2 ·
My vehicles have joined together against me to keep me out of the woods this year...so far the Jeep spit the #5 piston into the bottom of the crankcase and the Neon first dumped the cam position sensor, and after fixing that the transmission is now not downshifting when I come to a stop and the upshifts are random and the torque convertor lockup is evidently burned out as well. I'm currently in talks with the wife to sell everything to the highest bidding junkyard and buy a mid-70's Chevrolet truck with a 350 that has NO computer, NO catalytic convertor, and that I can buy parts for without taking out a loan... hopefully things come together by the first of December so that I can at least go out for the muzzleloader part.

#4 ·
Went out today for a bit, @ 37* and windy. Didn't see any fresh scrapes or rubs in their usual areas though, kinda surprised. I did find a comfy place sit down and after forty mins spotted movement @ about 50yds, which was my limit of visibility into the brush. A deer was slowly moving and feeding it's way in my direction but I couldn't tell if it had antlers or not until it closed half the distance. Turned out to be a real nice size doe. She wandered to within 15yds of me and then walked broadside to me until she just wandered away. Never knew I was there. I was hoping I would see a buck following her around but that didn't happen... at least today. Things are starting to cool down and there are three weeks left so there's still time and hope.

#5 ·
Don't you all have some caribou in Maine? Our second season (Nov 1st until end of March) just came back in. I tried getting the wife to ride out on snowmachines and shoot a few and she said wait until kids come home at Xmas from school. I might ride out our road later this week. Sometimes the caribou end up in the woods at base of mnt 4-5 miles behind our house; I like shooting them back there, then the wolves come in to clean up the gut piles and rather shoot some of those eatin machines than anything out and about.

We have a few whitetails moving in from Canada but not thick yet, too many wolves me thinks. Hangin between plus 10 and minus 20 at night, 2 foot of snow, river hasn't froze up yet.

#6 ·
Deer opener today in MN. I was out a total of 8 hrs between morning and evening. I saw a squirrel this morning and some birds this afternoon. Not a real good start to the season.

#8 · (Edited)
Utahs season ended last Sunday, all 6 of us in our group got deer. Here's a pic of 4 of them.

#9 ·
I've been out about 20-30 times so far on public land and havent seen squat. I hunted my buddy's place and stuck a doe in the spine at about 30 yards day before yesterday. I shot just a little high obviously. Dont know if I got the range off a bit or if it was just shooting from that high.... My stand is over 30 ft up a tree. Havent practiced shooting from anything other than ground level. Could have also been from being in an awkward position due to my tether hitting my arm. I think my anchor was a little off. My wife put the meat grinder for the kitchen aide in action. I think she is cooking some of it tonight for supper.

#11 ·
Well, day two of the MN season is over. Still no venison. I did see two today but one was in the trees so I couldn' get a good shot and the second that came out in the open was so small that I figured I'd let it grow another year. My buddy got a nice doe at the end of the day though, probably 150-170 gutted. Best doe I've seen in a long time.

#13 ·
Don't you all have some caribou in Maine?
Ive never seen one. If we do they are north towards the Canadian border. We have big moose though. Some some huge moose tracks out there. My buddy in another part of the state said he saw a good sized doe where we normally hunt but you can only shoot one with a permit, which I have. Wasnt much help though being up north. Other than chipmunks, the only thing I saw was my girl taking a nap against a tree. We had a lot of fun though.

#18 ·
My vehicles have joined together against me to keep me out of the woods this year...so far the Jeep spit the #5 piston into the bottom of the crankcase and the Neon first dumped the cam position sensor, and after fixing that the transmission is now not downshifting when I come to a stop and the upshifts are random and the torque convertor lockup is evidently burned out as well. I'm currently in talks with the wife to sell everything to the highest bidding junkyard and buy a mid-70's Chevrolet truck with a 350 that has NO computer, NO catalytic convertor, and that I can buy parts for without taking out a loan... hopefully things come together by the first of December so that I can at least go out for the muzzleloader part.
You gotta stay away from those Chrysler products. There's a reason that company went out of business....twice.

#19 ·
Saturday (Nov 3rd) was opening day. I live on the ranch so I see them (deer) everyday. I walked out and sat in the blind opening morning with the rifle. Saw three (two doe, one buck) did not shoot at any. I heard very few shots so opening day was not successful to very many around here. Did not really plan on shooting one yet, so I had fun just sitting there watching the sunrise and the deer. Still hot down here in SW Texas. It was 60 degrees at sunrise and in the 80's later that day.

#23 ·
Howdy I have been out 5 times. Have yet to see a deer. Saw 5 on the private land to the north but there anti hunter. This last summer we had record heat and drought. We had no rain from july14 until sept4 dont forget the fires. The dry land corn just down the road grew to 40 inches and stoped. Okay thats enought whining. The deer are here we just need to adjust our methods. That and some cold maybe some snow might do it. To days temp 78. Good hunting and have fun.

#24 ·
stopped posting pic's of deer here to stop everyone getting upset ;)

i'm averaging 2 a week here 3 if i feel up to it but it a hassle to drag em outta the scrub
Are there limits on the number of deer you can take Jack? What kind of deer do you have?

#25 ·
Man, this is the 6th day now and still nothing. We have been following doe and buck tracks like crazy but they all lead to restricted areas. I jumped a couple the other day but the ran right into some housing district. Hopefully theres better luck tomorrow and saturday.

#26 ·
Out for another couple of days and still nothing except a couple ticks. Saw a couple of big gobblers this morning and wanted to fire so badly because I never saw them when it was actually season but they know how to work it. We sat on a nice area where there were buck and doe tracks, some nice piles of droppings and some scrapes but they never made it back up our way. On the other hand, my lady is quite angry she had to work today and her cousin shot a nice buck up north where we go when she isnt working. Hopefully I can get her something too so she doesnt have to listen to him all year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.