Deer hunting, any luck?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by robman2629, Nov 3, 2012.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

here is a pic of one I got this morning. Luckily someone else hit it. clipped the back legs low and the rib cage was crushed on one side. internals looked less tore up then a gun shot. not much meat on the ribs, so I think i will come out ok.

Attached Files:

2. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

Well, after hunting nearly everyday in Nov, i finally got a chance. I watched two doe sneak behind me and I knew a buck was near. Sure enough, 5 minutes later he showed himself walking the same trail as the doe. He would have walked by out of range, but I grunt and he stopped...100 yards away. After a few minutes he turned and headed my way. I made a great 32 yd shot with my bow....during Gun season!! He's only a small 8 but He'll make some tasty jerky!

The best part was, when I got back to my truck I had a MSG from the my taxidermist. Took 12 long months but my 2011 mount was done (9 point, double patch). What a great day!

Attached Files:

3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

wish we could keep road kill here in WA, it's not legal; they feed them to the wolves at the wolf sanctuary.
  4. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Friend today. Near Lehighton PA. Nice PA buck.

Attached Files:

5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what is with the duct tape talked to a buddy of mine said he never heard of that?
  6. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

This is the deer that ran out in front of my buddy. He placed a shot right between the ear and antler. I was more excited than he was. Although I didnt get anything my first year out there, it was nice to go with someone who got something. I credit myself with an assist on it too. haha.

Attached Files:

7. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I would say the netting and duct tape is to keep flys and gnats out of the deer so they don't lay eggs and later have maggots. probably warmer in calli than midwest in november.
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Yep. You can put them in the bags and leave them hanging for several days if it is cool enough. Kinda like the butcher would do, but since it is outside, you want to have it covered so bugs, leaves and such dont get on the meat. Weather is too warm around here to ever hang meat outside.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I use game bags, it's usually too warm to hang here in WA also. Keeps the flys and dirt off of the meat. Back home in PA, it was always freezing, would let them hang in the barn skinned and halved for about two weeks before butchering.
  10. Redd

Redd Member

Little late, here's the one I got with my M91/30. I was tickled with it, it's my first buck and I love non typical racks. I did the mount myself, also very happy with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

That is a fine looking rack. be proud.
  12. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I had a misfire on opening weekend and did not get anything. Dad got 4 already and the season ends on Thursday, 31 January.
  13. Win73

Win73 New Member

I got two this season. The first one was on Dec. 10 and weighed 165 pounds. I got the second one on Jan. 21. He weighed 162 pounds. I let many does and small bucks walk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

We had the same ole boring late shotgun...:D
    (just kidding, but neat pictures) Actually I have two in the freezer, one doe, one six point (scrub rack).
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

hunters here are clammoring for ammo....