Deer hunting may put men's hearts at risk

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by satellite66, Aug 19, 2007.

1. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Is it just me or does this seem to have more to do with gun and hunting hating than mens health?
    Why couldn't the article be strenuous activity for those not in shape puts hearts at risk?

Deer hunting may put men's hearts at risk

Fri Aug 17, 2:27 PM ET

Deer hunting could be a dangerous endeavor for men with heart disease or risk factors for it, research findings suggest.

In a study of 25 middle-aged male deer hunters, researchers found that the activities inherent to hunting -- like walking over rough terrain, shooting an animal and dragging its carcass -- sent the men's heart rates up significantly.

In some cases, this led to potentially dangerous heart-rhythm disturbances, or diminished oxygen supply to the heart.

Of the 25 hunters, 17 had established coronary heart disease, while the rest had risk factors such as being overweight, smoking or having high blood pressure or cholesterol.

The findings suggest that for men like these, hunting could boost the risk of heart attack or cardiac arrest.

Susan Haapaniemi and colleagues at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oaks, Michigan, report the findings in the American Journal of Cardiology.

For the study, the researchers outfitted each man with a portable monitor that continuously recorded his heart's electrical activity during a day of deer hunting. For comparison, the men also had their hearts monitored as they exercised on a treadmill on a separate day.

In general, the researchers found, deer hunting put the men's hearts under more strain than the treadmill did. Ten men exceeded the maximum heart rate they logged on the treadmill, and several showed potentially dangerous heart responses to hunting that they did not show during the treadmill test.

Three men had signs of impeded blood flow to the heart during hunting, but not on the treadmill. Similarly, three of the men with heart disease had heart-rhythm abnormalities while hunting that did not show up on the treadmill test.

The combination of physical exertion, adrenaline rush and the stress of rough terrain and cold weather may explain the "excessive cardiac demands" seen with hunting, according to Haapaniemi's team.

What's more, they point out, most of the men in the study were taking part in an exercise program to treat their heart disease, or were regularly physically active. Hunting could be an even greater strain on the heart in men who are usually sedentary, the researchers note.

SOURCE: American Journal of Cardiology, July 15, 2007.
    Link to article
  2. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

I agree that hunting can be strenuous on the heart...possibly even bad for you in terms of the amount of "load" put on the heart (if in bad shape) under the course of a hard hunting day. But, let's come to realize another thing that "they" didn't write about. How great hunting and fishing are to the mental health of an individual. Getting out of the every day doldrums and into the great outdoors. Away from the office, technology, hustle and bustle, etc. There is nothing more relaxing than a good (or hell, even bad) day in the woods or on the water. Nothing better to pick your spirits up than listening to the birds chirping, elk bugling, fish splashin, or breeze gently blowing through the leaves of a stand of hardwoods you've been waiting on that big buck to walk through. That's better than any trip to a psychologist I could ever make.
  3. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Well YEA, Heck my being up in the woods no longer gets my heart pounding more than sitting in my recliner I will let the wife read the Will to the kids. This is such a joke article. Heck I figure with these individuals any strenuous exercise would cause possible heart problems,even sleeping. I believe, it is a known fact that if you have a heart problem and eat a large meal it puts stress on the heart. Getting amorous with you wife causes stress on the heart. He_ _ s bells, being constipated might cause any of these guys to have a heart attack. Like many other articles in today's print. "Not big enough to start a fire with and to slick to wipe with!" Oh yea and on the other hand I can't think of but one thing better to drop dead while doing other than hunting.:eek: :eek: catfish
  4. But in your case, Cat, you could be eaten by a bear instead! :rolleyes: :D ;)
  5. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Hunting sounds as if it's got the same affect on the body as a really good romp in the bedroom. Anybody planning on curbing that activity too out of an abundance of caution?

Me either.

Here's to hunting and sex; CHEERS!!
  6. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Pistol, Funny you should mention that as over in Washington a couple of people were just rolled around by a Bear. Seems that they were either feeding it and then decided to run it off or at least had let it get used to their presence. The lady decided to shoot it with her 30-06. Incorrect shot placement evidently as the Bear decided to wool her around on the ground some. Husband came out with an Elephant gun caliber. I have heard 45-90 but anyway he supposedly shot the Bear several times and the bear ran off to die. The Bear evidently weighed in at 250 pounds. Both individuals are expected to make a full recovery, They probably will decide not to feed any more Bears if that was the case. I personally think it is humorous that two adults with big guns can't effectively take a Black Bear down without getting eat up. Oh well. Life in the country I guess.:rolleyes: later. catfish