Deer Hunting Pistol Project....

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by polishshooter, Sep 15, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Here's what I WANT to build, but $585 for the kit is a little steep...

http://www.flintlocks.com/pistols.htm

It HAS to be .50, and 12", and I WANT it to be a Kentucky if I can help it, but I MAY go caplock instead of flint, I haven't decided.

So far, my options are Dixie, I'll have to figure up the parts I need, and I'm NOT sure their inletted pistol stock handles 12" barrels...

...and "Track of the Wolf," who can supply me with everything I need, BUT his stock blanks ONLY handle 10" barrels, so he is suggesting making it a half-stock with an underrib...I emailed him back whether I could make his stock work with a 2" long nosecap....

The other option is carving my own from a bandsaw blank (but I've NEVER carved one before, I don't know if I could....)

So far every place I have checked seems to have Green Mountain barrels in "11-12"" that I THINK I can make work, the hunting regs says it has to be "12" from the BASE of the breechplug, not counting any tangs or projections..."

Any advice, or websites, or sources for stocks or barrels would be appreciated!

Like, if I GET a Barrel that is "square," how hard would it be to "swamp" it in a vise with a file?

Oh yeah, I'd LIKE to keep it around $250-300 max too.....less if I CAN....
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

CHEAP TRICK

As far as making your own pistol stock I suggest you go to Wall-Mart and buy some play-doh. squeeze it and form it how you like it for a rough estimate on your pattern. And on the style of grip make it to fit You perfectly. Take the play dough and squeeze it with the finger grooves and length to find the perfect fit. I have used the play-doh to form to my hand a few pistol grips on Ak's as well as my Granddad Made a stock from scratch with this technique.
  3. polishshooter

Well, I just got a quote from 'Track of the Wolf" for everything I'd need to make a .50 call Flint...using a Green Mountain barrel---$353

He told me the barrels run nominally "11-12" so to be sure and verify the regs one more time to be SURE it's not 12" BORE length, i'd be cutting it close, probably even short with a full 12 with the plug screwed in....

The only OTHER problem is his stock blanks are only for 10" barrels....he suggested I round it to a half-stock and put on an underrib. and model it after the 1805 Harpers Ferry Pistol, (The crossed one's still on the USA MP's insignia) which would look cool too...

I'm still going to shop aroound, and I AM leaning for buying a band sawed blank and shaping my own...might have to buy a bench sanding machine and a router though.....but I need them ANYWAY someday, right????;)
  4. polishshooter

OK. I THINK I may have it figured out...

I can get a Traditions Kentucky Kit for about $135 from DIxie, or else go a little better and get a Pedersoli Flint kit for $195....(only 10 3/8" barrel though)

Order a Green Mountain .50 -12*. for about $60 and make it fit..and buy a 2" brass nosecap (I FOUND one!) And extent the stock, even if I have to "carve" a little extension to the stock and glue it on...the 2" nosecap should hide it....

Total price would be somewhere between $200 and $250.....and I'll have fun doing it!
  5. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Many barrels are not proof tested that come in from outside the USA.CVA and Traditions being two of them the Pedersoli is proof tested.
  6. polishshooter

Thanks, Red. I didn't know that. My son shoots a .50 CVA Hawkens type we built from a kit, but I don't believe in overloading anyway...we only shoot 90-95 grains behind a 245gr. Ballet, and it killed his buck nicely and quick from about 35 yds...and it's very accurate too. I only shoot 65 grains in my .45 flintlock behind a roundball, and I put the only deer I shot with it down pretty cleanly at 75...I shoot a "Minuteman Brush," with a 24" barrel, and my son's is a short "Frontier Carbine," about the same length, so too much more powder would probably just get pushed out anyway...

I'd be going with the Green Mountain replacement barrel with either choice so I could get the 12"....so I'm not worried too much about the original barrel.

I AM leaning toward the Pedersoli though, I think I'd prefer it in flint....
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006