Deer hunting question

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by raven18, May 13, 2009.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I shot a spike last year, 35 yd. shot, and shot for the neck. Took out severl inches of bone, but the deer wasn't dead when I walked up to it, had to cut it's throat. Heart lung shots for me all the time anymore.
  2. dls56

dls56 New Member

Hi all,
    I don't care to track deer very far and on one property I hunt the neighbor won't allow retrieval so it's imperative that I put them down on the spot. Killed four last year the two next to the afore mentioned property were neck shots DRT. It takes patience and more importantly practice with some pretty good equipment to consistently be able to accomplish this from distances over 100 yards, (I practice year round) my stands are as close to bench rest conditions as I can emulate. The other two were heart / lung kills. One was hit a little over the heart and took some tracking, the heart sits low in the chest and it's very easy to place your shot a little high which will do the lungs but can sometimes allow the deer to go a ways. Study the deers anatomy this knowledge will help you envision the vitals better from all angles. Wait for a shot you know you can make, practice as much as possible, be flexible and knowledgeable (no two shots are going to be exactly the same). Proficiency makes hunting more humane and rewarding. Best wishes.
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I'm not a particularly experienced deer hunter but I have friends who are. They advocate the neck shot when posible.
    I do want to mention that around here we mostly have small clear areas surrounded by medium to thick woods/brush. Most shots are within 100 yards, almost nowhere to find a 300+ yard shot. Hilly, too. So those shots are close range and with accurate guns wielded by very good, dedicated shooters that practice ALL summer!
    Personally I carry a Ruger Redhawk with a big Bushnell scope, and would prefer a heart/lung target. I can track.
    My biggest deer hunting problem is that every time I wake up, there's no deer around.
  4. GA1911

GA1911 New Member

I'll go with the heart/lung shot, the chest cavity. Head and neck shots will mess up your mounts dude. Really You should take the shot the animal and terrain give you. Scout so you know where the animal will be and position your stand accordingly. Practice so you know your firearm and ammo, then your trip should be a succsess. Have fun and take a kid with you, introduce the younger generation to the sport. They get so much bainwashing from other sources we need to give them the facts. Be careful out there.
  5. spitfire_er

spitfire_er New Member

I know in some cases, such as hunting in the mountains it is necessary to drop an animal in a certain spot, but here in MN, if I take a chest shot and have to track the deer 50 yards through some thick brush, it hones my tracking skills for bow hunting purposes and friends that may not have had the greatest shot (and me, I'm not perfect!). Last year I helped a friend track a deer 3 miles before finding it. Took several hours and pinhead spots of sparse blood spots, but i'm usually the go-to guy in these situations. Those short 50 yard tracking situations help your tracking skills that every hunter should have!
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Like I have posted in the past I am not person fond of the chase. I have honed my skills with my old mouser to the point where if I am within 400yd they aint goin very far.I know the 8mm is a little large for deer in mosteyes but there are those who use the 30-06 and the 8mm is about the same size but a little on the meaner side. I go with a tight head shot or a spineshot. Since I aint real interested in having one mounted that is my shot preferance.
  7. plowhorse

plowhorse New Member

I have to agree with the heart/lung shot. I once saw my father force a head shot that luckily only turned the forked horn into a spike. my father was at that time a very competent shooter, which was evident by the four followup shots into the heart while the animal was on the run. you want to talk about tracking, try finding a missing horn in thick manzanita.
  8. Joel Lehman

Joel Lehman New Member

We saw a doe on our lease last year that the hunter across the road shot in the jaw. We did not get a chance to kill it. It was not a pretty sight. I always try for lung shots.
  9. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

If you SUCCESSFULLY pull a head/brain shot, it is pretty humane. However, the chances of being unsuccessful are great. It is a very small target, a deer's skull is.With a heart/lung shot you have alot of room for error. You do sacrifice some meat but not enough to merit risking losing your prey and causing it undue agony. I have myself dropped one deer at close range with a headshot using a shotgun loaded wth 000 buck, a long long time ago. The rest have all been body shots. The worst of those shots still didn't cause me to loose much meat either.
  10. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

I think a head shot posses too many chances to miss out-right or hurt the animal so I personally choose to shoot at the "vitals" or if the game is close and just standing there with little or no chance of moving I'll go for a spine shot ................ that usually just drops the animal with no need for a search or a long waiting period!(I like this shot cause I'm lazy!):D:eek:

Bill
  11. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I always shoot for a center chest shot hoping to take out the lungs. If off a few inches it still makes a quick kill and the Deer doesn't travel far. :D