deer hunting with a handgun

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by remington1990, Feb 2, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

As of lately I have been thinking on the idea of going deer hunting with a handgun in 357 how would it be going deer hunting with it. I know it would have to be at close range but would it be enough to kill a deer clean. the gun I am looking at has a 6inch barrel on it
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    .357 in a 6" barrel will easily take deer out to 50 yds. I say 50 yds because it is a pistol, and it has a short sight radius. It will kill at further distances, but you personally may not be able to hit the mark at longer ranges. Max range is a 8" paper plate that you can keep all of your shots on, IMHO.
  3. remington1990

remington1990 Member

The revolver I am looking at is a rossi it brand new for around 350. They have it in a 4 inch barrel or a 6 inch I said I would rather have the longer barrel I ain't sure if I want a revolver or get a 30-30
  4. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I am thinking of trying a Super blackhawk hunter in 44mag. I have not had much luck with knock down with a 357 in a rifle. a slug stops them better. I would think your range would need to be under 100 and around 50yrds would be better.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I agree with Carver that the 6" barrel is good to go up to 50yrds with the .375 mag. for a good clean kill on a deer. Anything much past 50yds and your groups will begin to spread out. I hunted the 1st day of gun season here with a 6" .357mag.
  6. remington1990

remington1990 Member

How would a blackpowder revolver but on deer hunting I kind of don't think it would be but I am new to any that has to do with handguns. A good friend has a blackhawk in. 44 mag I really it but I ain't found any around here. In my price range
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    be careful and check your state laws on black powder pistols,in indiana it must be single shot,have a 12 inch barrel,be 50 cal and shoot no less than a 357 saboted round. old semperfi
  8. silvertip44

silvertip44 New Member

Acworth, Georgia Northwest of Atlanta in the edge
    I used a scoped Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" .44 Mag about 15 years ago and took several deer with it. I did limit myself to 50 yards and always had some sort of rest with me that I could use.
    My loads were 240 gr. XTP with H110 powder.
    I stopped handgun and bow hunting as I aged and now hunt with M1 Garand, M1A and Rem M700 Milspec 5R.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The 30-30 is another good choice for deer. Remember though that it is at best a 150yd shooter. The short barrel makes it easy to get around with in tight places, but doesn't lend itself to long distance shoots. If I owned no gun at all, and had to choose between the .357, and the 30-30, I would probably lean toward the 30-30. Either can be used as home defense gun, and either can be used as a primary hunting gun. While the .357 might work better in the house due to it's size, the 30-30 will still get the job done too. Once you are out in the woods, the 30-30 leaves the .357 in the dust.
  10. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I used to hunt deer with the .357 Blackhawk, 50yds probably average shots,
    some less, yet some a little further. In Georgia, east of Athens, so mostly flat ground
    in secondary pine and brush, and soybean field edging. A shooting stick was helpful
    but only used 50% of the time. I had a 'small grains' farm and had a year round permit
    to 'thin' the population.
    Always had hand loaded rounds (hot) that the Ruger liked. I shot that gun ALOT and was very comfortable with it, and is the most important factor in handgun hunting.
    Back then, Unique was my favorite powder, and only shot 158gr jacketed HP for deer.
    Other than breaking the stainless in with hot loads, that revolver was my constant companion, despite the small grips and handle. My pinky was always under(below) the grips, and there were times I had to remove the cylinder and punch out the brass with a screwdriver until enough rounds were run thru her to fill in the pits, as stainless chips when drilled. But, I used the pistol because I was always out working around the place, and my rifle was not in my immediate reach. I still preferred to take them with a rifle, much more confident when I pilled the trigger that it would be one shot-one kill.
    Hence, as I say, one more reason to have more than one firearm.