1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by kentuckyrifleman, Nov 24, 2012.

1. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Here in Iowa the deer are getting pretty scarce. I have been out at least three times a week all bow season and only seen four deer.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

3. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Only thing I have seen is doe's, and 1 hog with my buddy that he got (I was to slow to the rifle :(). Walked the glades last weekend in a couple different areas just a couple cottonmouths. Not done yet hoping for better luck.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I got a doe the second day of primitive weapons. First rifle season just started last weekend. I haven't had a chance to go yet but I've got til the end of Jan.

[​IMG]
  5. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

D3 drought levels in my hunting area, very poor success ratios due to that.
    One pond that held a monster Moose I was watching last year was completely dried up this year. The bear take is down too because of low berry growth in this area. Last year we saw 4 bears, and scat everywhere. This year not a sign.
    Our group got 1 Muley Buck, and that's ALL we saw in 6 days! For 5 guys!
    Last year we saw over 2 dozen Deer and several Elk.
    Many camps gave up and pulled out after 3-4 days, it was so bad.
    That's the bitch of Colorado hunting, your stuck in your draw area, no matter what.
  6. m77user

m77user Active Member

First time in 55 years that I have been unable to go hunting. Congratulations to all who scored this year and condolences to those who were not so fortunate.
  7. whirley

whirley Member

Try cooking the whole ham of a very young deer. It's tender and very much like roast lamb. Delicious.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Some nice deer you all have taken!
    And good luck on your trip Woodnut. I've been a bit under the weather this gun season here with flu-like feelings. I did manage to get out the second day here all day and had a neighbor miss a small 9pt..
    It came down past me and with two shots, I managed to drop it with my S&W 586, .357 Mag.. When he came down (my neighbor) I had the deer down and he told me he'd missed it and really needed the meat. So, I told him to go get his 4 wheeler and I'd help him load the buck up and that we did.
    As I'm feeling a bit better, I'm going to try and hit it hard with the 3 days of season we have left...stll with the revolver.
  9. Zane71464

REALLY nice antlered buck.
  10. Zane71464

Nice, meat in the freezer.
  11. Zane71464

Same here....good meat in the freezer.
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I went deer hunting today, sat in the blind for about 2 hours smoking cigarettes and all i saw was a little doe :D I figured Im not going to shoot one yesterday
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  13. tango1niner

tango1niner Member

cpttango, you're going to need alot of tenderizer for that, plenty of iron in it though!
    steve4102, looks good !
    I've seen alot of doe, no permit. One 4 ptr. but in an Antler Restriction area. Try my luck again Sat. and Sun. Nice deer Gents.
    Anyone eat the heart? Looking for a good recipes that doesn't mask the flavor
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I was talking with a lady from our church last night and she says that she is over-run with does and has invited me over to thin the herd. Says I can sit on her front porch and take care of it. All she wants is some venison out of it. I told her no problem and thanked her.
  15. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

Gettin ready to head out to sit(grrrr). First year I have ever not had to wear long johns to hunt in its 61degrees at 5am this mornin. I normally walk but I'm also not at my normal huntin spot.