Deer Lick Range Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnK3, Oct 15, 2005.

1. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to go along with this, but....

Last Sunday (9 October 2005) my buddy Erik and I took my two oldest daughters, Jerrica (17) and Kaitlyn (11) out to Deer Lick, in Taliaferro County, Georgia. Deer Lick is some property Erik and some associates are developing for an astronomy community. (dark skies and all that) Right now, it's two cleared fields and a bunch of trees.

Jerrica, Katydid and I woke up early (6am) to eat breakfast, get dressed and ready to go. We all three had a good breakfast, then we showered and dressed as if we were going deer hunting. While it was still bow season, we dressed out anyway, as we planned on walking the woods with a .22LR looking for tree rats. (Jerrica hates them and wants to kill as many as she can. They throw things at her.) ;-)

Erik showed up around 8am and we headed out from Tucker, GA for the long drive to Taliaferro County. Jerri and Katydid slept on the way and Erik and I talked about the November deer hunting trip we were planning.

We got there, out in the middle of BFE Jawjuh and arrived at the "Stargate." Being astronomy nuts, they had found a large (3'-4') galvanized star they attached to the gate to the property. About a half-mile back, we hit the lower field, which was a bit muddy and drove almost to the back treeline. Erik turned around and BAM! His Ford Expedition was stuck! (2WD) After trying to rock it out a bit, we all pile out and walk back to the shed where the tractor is stored. Erik remembers the keys to the shed are a bit further on, in the small cabin about 150 yards on. He walks down there to get them while the girls and I wait by the shed.

Behind the shed, there's an old log cabin, fallen down at one end and not safe to enter. We also find a spider with a web and she's HUGE, a bit orange/green in color and about 1/2" across her abdomen. Jerri is fascinated by her and we both mention how disappointed we were that we had forgotten to bring the camera.

On the way back, Erik spies a nice eight-point buck, maybe 3-4 years old. Before he could get our attention, the buck spotted (maybe smelled?) Erik and took off. (Erik wasn't in camo, nor had he done any scent elimination. The girls and I had done both.)

We went back to the truck and pulled it out of the mud with the tractor and I drove the truck back to the cabin while Erik drove the tractor back and the girls walked. (They wanted to!)

Erik and I started up the generator and waited for the girls to get back. Soon enough, they arrived back at the cabin and we fixed bratwurst for lunch. After lunch in the airconditioned cabin, we setup the trap and got out the case of clay pigeons. Erik had brought his Remington 17 and I had my 870. We started busting clays, having a great time. The only bad part was when Katydid got a little overeager trying to help Jerri cock the trap thrower and pulled the trigger back. The trap kept swinging through, instead of stopping at the trigger, and hit Jerri in the thigh. She's got a bit of a bruise, but it didn't hurt her too bad. Katy was warned that the trap is a one-person mechanism, not two.

After shooting clays in the air, I had Katydid set some up against some logs, branches, etc. for shooting with the little CZ 452 Scout. Standing, I was able to bust them pretty easy, but neither Katydid nor Jerri could hit one. I showed Jerri how to kneel and she proceeded to bust the rest without a miss! She obviously likes the rifle and says she wants one of her own!

We then got on our blaze orange and headed out into the woods to explore a bit and shoot a squirrel, if the chance should present itself. We didn't see any squirrels, but had a good time walking through the woods. Jerri and Katydid both liked seeing all the different spiders who had webs strung up along the trail.

When we got home, later that evening, Jerri was excited at her newfound ability to shoot and babbled on about it to her mother. Stephannie and I both agreed, right then and there, that should Jerri bring home a report card with all passing grades, we'd spring for a rifle for her, complete with scope. We'll see what happens at the end of the semester!
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Sounds like a wonderful time with your girls! Congratulations.
  3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Glad to hear you had a good and safe time. it is nice to know you are passing the sport onto your kids. Nothing like the outdoor and the smell of gun powder. :D
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Great story! You are building memories that will be with your girls long after they grow up. Good for you!
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Terrific!!!!!

I''m so happy and pleased for you and the girls!!

Attached Files:

6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Thanks, berto, DD!

Went by my local gun emporium, today and took the two girls. Jerri looked over the rifles they had on display. She saw the CZ527 in maple and went wild over the rifle. I have to admit, she made a fine choice in firearm, as the CZs are fantastic examples of Old World craftsmanship using the classic Mauser action.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Way to go John. Glad you and the girls had a good time. Would y'all buy me a rifle too? SOunds like a good time was had by all. :) :)
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Well, IPT, I would, 'cept you ain't as cute as Jerri is. Neither is you related like she is. Guess y'all will have to wait!