Deer LIver and heart

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 38 special, Dec 2, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

Every deer I get I always save the liver and heart. Everyone in the family likes the heart but noone likes the liver. Im not crazy about the liver either but cant bring myself to throw it away. I have about 10 livers in the freezer some from 10 years ago They're still good (vaccum sealed) but I guess I'll have to find someone who likes them. Anyone here like the deer liver?
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

not especially however its great catfish bait.
  3. navis128

navis128 New Member

Outlasted my daddy with that at the age of about 5. No way was I going to eat that when it made my sis sick. 'Course I waited for her to try it first. I may have been younger, but not stupid.

I think you are going to have to mix it in some sausage or something.
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I gotta believe that 10 years, even vacuum sealed, is pushing it. Bury them.
  5. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Plus one on the catfish bait from me. That or find an elderly couple that like liver.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

I really like liver and especially deer liver if cut no more than a 1/4 thick breaded in dry pancake mix and cooked in olive oil medium to well with lots of sweet onion. It also makes great sandwiches the next day with just a little mayo and lettuce. I think 10 years is a bit much, vacuum sealed or not, however if I were there we would give a try but I would not want to go to the expense of shipping it only to find it was not good.

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. navis128

navis128 New Member

You're brave!
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The organ meat in my area is high in heavy metals so I leave them for the yotes. I like liver and onions but not interested in frozen ones.
  9. williamd

williamd New Member

Whitetail lever with onions is fantastic!!!
  10. 38 special

38 special New Member

My dad loved deer liver. He used to fry it lightly and when He cut into it it was very rare, in fact sometimes bloody. I never got to where I liked it that much but then I never liked beef liver either and deer liver when I did eat it was certainly no worse than beef liver.
    Maybe its a WW2 generation thing because practically all the old hunters i knew always saved and ate the liver and heart.
    I am going to make an effort to find someone who truly enjoys liver and give them mine from now on.
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

navis: Several years ago I had made three deer liver sandwiches brown bagged for lunch and was riding to work with a friend when I decided to eat one. He said "hey man are you going to share"? I said no problem and handed him a sandwich. He woofed that thing down like is was his last meal. He said "man that was that good, what kind of meat was that, it was kind of sweet with those onions". When I told him what it was he didn't believe me at first and then he realized I had been deer hunting. He then looked over at my bag and said "I hate liver", then he asked "do you have another one we can share"? Which we did and later that day he bought me a burger for lunch.

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Good story! "I hate liver...ya got more?!?" That's priceless!

I love deer liver...but I will settle for beef liver when I'm out of the whitetail variety. Pig liver is for making liverwurst though.

Slice it about 1/4"-3/8" thick and fry it up.
    I used to used flour or Bisquick, but one time I was out so I dipped it in cornmeal instead...now that's my favorite breading for liver.
    Cornmeal, black pepper, a bit of salt, and a little chili powder or cayenne pepper.
    If you want to make it a bit milder tasting, rinse it real good in water to get most of the blood out, then freeze it in milk. I prefer it just washed of blood though.

As for the ten year old liver that the OP has. Catfish or carp bait.
    It'll start to taste old after about 3 years even if vacuum packed.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  13. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    no if ands or buts,this is one of the best catfish baits going.if you cut it up in one inch cubes it is hard to get off the hook and great bait old semperfi