deer opener saturday!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by sluggermn, Nov 5, 2004.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

sat 11-06-04 @ 07:14 the shooting will commense at will.
    I am looking foward to a great hunt!!

any one else have great hopes for the opener?
    any one fill their tag yet??
    if so lets see pics!!

Happy hunting

Slugger
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

So how did the hunting go? See anything? Shoot anything? Got any pics?
  3. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

it was a good weekend!! the weather was beautiful for this time of year, mid to low 40's at night, high 40's to low 50's during the day.
    I saw 5 deer shot at two and hit none. I got the big GOOSE EGG this year :mad: :confused:
    its a good thing we party hunt and had enough deer shot to fill all our tags, so we will have venison again this year YEAH :D

now the best part of the hunt this and last year was the spectular displays mother nature has provided for us.
    last year about 1 hour after the close of shooting (1/2 hour after sunset) we were out poicking up the deer and got to watch the lunar eclips.
    this year just at dark the sky was lit up with nnorthern lights like I have never seen before!! bright green, peach dark and light red, dancing aand weaving and twirling around the sky. Spectacualr!!!!!! :D :D

so all things considered it was a very good weekend !!!
  4. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you had a great hunt and filled your freezer! Hunts like you had make for great memories.

In my neck of the woods, you need to be in a hunt club as most private land is leased to hunt clubs, and public land is dangerous due to the idiots that shoot at shadows. (a guy got shot near my home on Saturday. He was taking a tree stand in the woods to hang, when an idiot shot at a noise he heard.)

The club I'm currently in , and have been in for three years, sucks at best.
    Thus far, after 5 weeks of hunting (archery and blackpowder) we have harvested 4 deeer. 4 bucks and 1 doe. All less than 100 pounds. Largest was a 6 point that weighed in at 96 pounds. The smalest was 60 pounds.

I'm looking for another to join for next year.

ISB
  5. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

Wow I.S.B. if the deer here are less than 100 lbs we throw them back. :D 100 lbs is borderline small (bambi) up here. we try not to shoot those baby fawns. we did have two that were at or mabey alittle less than 100lbs, three years ago I shot a 7 pointer that was around 300 pounds :eek: two of us could ont get him drug out of the woods where he fell and we had to get some help to move him!!
    its too bad you dont have a decient place to hunt. we hunt on my father-in-law's farmstead of 320 acres and only have hunters next to us on one side. and my f.i.l. is very picky about safety, one screw up and you get kicked out of the hunting party.

we did the boning of the deer today. three of us got to split 5 deer that is a lot of cleaning for the three of us. we had one injury, knife slipped cutting a joint apart and joel cut his thumb to the bone, I patched him up and told him to go in and get stitches. OW!!!!

sorry about all the typos in my last post I was REALLY REALLY tired and was having a hard time focusing.
  6. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Slug.

I moved to VA about 8 years ago here from Upstate NY where we let 100 pounders, A.K.A fawns, grow a few years. Or let new hunters and kids shoot them.

In our area, #135 is a brute. The ones we harvested are about average. The bucks were all 2 1/2 year olds. Last year, I do noy recall harvesting one larger than 127#. The flip side is that these small ones are almost always tender and juicy...YUM...YUM :D

My largest whitetail ever was 187 pounds and 10 points. I gave the rack and about 1/4 of the processed meat to the landowner that kindly gave me permision to hunt his farm.

ISB
  7. groundhogdevastation

groundhogdevastation New Member

Sluggerman, Those Northern Lights were VERY PROMINENT here in Southwest VA that night too! It's a treat for us to get to see them!! As far as deer size goes, the deer that I shot Monday weighed 145 lbs field dressed, the one the other guy shot that evening weighed 176 field dressed and Sarah's shot tody weighed 120 field dressed. Josh, a neighbor and hunting buddy(marmothunter on the forums) shot a doe today that weighed 145 lbs field dressed on certified scales at the butcher shop!!! Now that was a big ole doe for VA!!!!! GHD