The Firearms Forum banner

deer rifle dilema

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Okirobert 
#1 ·
I've been using a .270 mag to deer hunt for years and my buddies keep tryin to get me to switch to 30-06. I have had no issues with my 270 taking large deer but they insist that I need more firepower. Ive been thinking about buying one for next season but im not sure if it is worth it as i rarely shoot deer over 200 yards anyway.Any opinions on this subject?

#4 ·
Well I do have the itch to buy a new gun so that has been on my mind to justify the purchase. I can think of a lot of guns I want but I usually like to have a practical reason to buy a gun...well I like to give my wife a practical reason why im buying a gun anyway..hahaha

#11 ·
if you are not shooting bear or moose/elk.. I don't see a prob with 270 cartridges taking medium to large deer.

if you were looking to upgrade into 30cal. i'd skip 308/3006 and go to a 300 mag of some sort ( win/wthby )

buy yourself some beef above the 308/3006 if getting a new iron..

#12 ·
I know a little girl who has taken elk with a .243; a .270 ought to suffice for most anything. But don't let that stop you from upgrading! Quite the contrary, a bigger gun will be so much more "humane" that PETA will thank you for your kindness, I'm sure. :D

#13 ·
you could probably take a blue whale with a 22lr if you hit an eye.

;)

larger caliber or more energy gives you a lil leeway, etc.

I believe it was here on this forum someone posted about an indian woman taking a bear with a 22lr. single shot as I recall.

Not me buddy! :)

#14 ·
My 270 does the job as you can see in my default picture. The last one i got in november he was no small deer. im thinking I can spend my money on another gun possibly a new pistol. Kinda glad I wasnt convinced to switch!!

#15 ·
a while back I was really torn on caliber for my first deer rifle. After looking at the specs for each cartridge I settled on a .270 and will never second guess myself. I know a guy who runs a 338 win mag and he flinches at each shot. His success rate is low.

Just to mess with the buddies you should get a 257 wetherby mag and totally impress them with the results. You're on your own when it comes time to explain ammo costs to the wife

#16 ·
Sounds to me like someone is looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle in 30.06!:D A .270 will do just about anything a .06 will do. The .270 is a 30.06 necked down to .270. You just don't get the larger weight bullets with the .270. Like Hawg said, the 270 is faster and flatter shooting, when shooting the lighter bullets.

#17 ·
I have a 30.06 and it is capable of out performing the .270, I won't argue that. However, the .270 is a fabulous caliber and unless you are itching to buy another rifle for fun I would not change it. There are 1000's of deer taken with the .270 every year and it is all about shot placement anyway.

#19 ·
>I've been using a .270 mag to deer<

Unless the man does not know what his gun is, his 270 is not a necked-down 30/06.

And I can't think of much in this country that a 270 Weatherby or Winchester Magnum won't take.

#22 ·
Your right I just have the urge to buy a gun.and trying to decide what kind of gun i was gonna get I kept thinking of the pressure being put on me by my hunting buddies to switch to 30 ot 6. actually I think I just want a 30-30 lever action I love those things.I highly doubt I will be able to stop using my lucky 270 though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.