1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

deer rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

buckweat
    (1/3/03 10:58:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All deer rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i live in michigan and sometimes hunt swamps where 50 yard shots are max that ur gonna get and sometimes i hunt fields where u can expect 250 330 yard shot and i want a rifle that i can use in both situations can anyone reply on what calibur gun i should buy... i was thinking about ether a 300 wsm 7mm or 30-06 what one would be most verstile

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/4/03 3:12:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: deer rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I own an 06. It will be more than adequate for that job.

All other things being equal though I'd prolly buy the 7mm, but I wouldn't pay anything extra to get it.
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

Dave1
    (1/4/03 8:11:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del rifles
    Hi you can't really have a rifle that is good for 300 yards shots if your going to use it at 50 yards,the meat damage at 50 yards with a powerful rifle like the 30-06 or even a .243 win is going to be high but this also depends on what size deer your shooting.Your best bet would be to get two rifles one for 50 yard shots and something like the .270 for long range shots.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/4/03 9:25:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: rifles
    Check out a 6.5x55 swede. Great choice of bullets & weights, low recoil, eat around the hole, and will take your 330 yard shots as easy as the 50 yarders. good luck in your choice.
    swede
    Wyoming Swede

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/4/03 12:17:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: rifles
    The hunting situation you have described is similiar to what MANY people face. It is exactly the type of hunting I do. I use a .308 mostly. I have also used a .30-06,.22-250 and a .243.

Most modern centerfire rounds are fine for short and long range as long as they are capable of a clean kill at the long range. For instance the .22-250 is on the small side for 300 yards.

Shot placement is everything here. If you choose a big caliber and hit the deer in a poor spot at close range you will destroy lots of meat. With a small caliber if you hit the deer in a poor spot at long range you might cripple it.

So what ever gun you choose your shot placement is critical for a good clean kill.

I would go with a .243,.308 myself but I am partial to short action rounds

That .30-06 is VERY versatile. You can buy factory -06 ammo with little bullets or big bullets depending on your game

Dave1 does have a point about the size deer you are shooting. I hunt mainly mule deer and whitetail on the praires and corn fields of South Dakota and the deer are big. I have seen pics of some of the southern states and the deer are small. So take that into effect when you pick your gun. No need for a large one when the deer only weighs 100lbs at the most.

good luck
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/03 7:11:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: rifles
    get a marlin 30-30 great deer rifle and will handle your situation.. pretty cheap too <$500

Mauser45
    (1/5/03 12:35:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: deer rifle
    Buckweat,
    I agree with Wyoming Swede, buy a 6.5x55 Swede and have it altered for a scope for the long shots. You can't go wrong! However, if you are going to buy a comercial rifle , I would consider the .260 Rem, .270 Win,.280 Rem or the good old 30/06. Those northern whitetails can get pretty big, but you don't need a Magnum rifle. They cost more to shoot, kick a lot more and aren't necessary, especially in the swamps. Shoot'em in the ribs whenever possible and you won't ruin anything edible.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 1:35:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: deer rifle
    Let's solicit an unbias opinion here. Might be good if it were even from a source familiar with many different caliburs. How about ALL OF THEM.

Honady Reloading manual page 228, 30-06

....the 30-06 was destine to become the popular centerfire cartridge ever introduced in America.

Because of the extremely wide range of bullet weights available for this round, the VERSATILITY of the 30-06 is unmatched; it provides adequate power for all North American game with tolerable recoil.

The 30-06 has the largest variety of suitable powders of all the cartridges listed in the Hornady Manual, witch illustrates the efficiency of the cartridge.

Let's try the Speer Manual, page 233:

No other smokeless powder rifle cartridge has achieved the populartity and wide use of the 30-'06.

Bullets from 150 to 180 grains will take care of most hunting requirements. None are better than the 150 grain bullets for deer, antelope and sheep.

The full range of speer .308 diameter bullets are usable in the 30-'06.

While there are many newer cartridges providing improved ballistics, the 30'06 still remains one of the best choices available to the one-rifle hunter.

JPR,
    Not my opinion. The opinion of 2 companys who sell and test bullets and powders for every rifle, pistol, bullet and calibur ever made, as far as I can tell. I suggest ya read one before spending yer money.

It's good enough for me. I'm no expert, I'll take their word for it.

buckweat
    (1/6/03 10:37:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 308
    what is a 308 like compared to a 06? do they have the range as an 06 ?

whiskey101
    (1/6/03 10:44:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 308
    A .308 is just a better 30/06.

Easy guys, just kidding!!!!

They are very similar on paper, one is short action and one is long. The 30/06 has the advantage of being able to load heavier bullets at higher velocities because of the increased case volume.

I am a .308 fan. There is a good reason that TONS of long range shooters choose the .308. The ballistic co-efficient is wonderful. The .308 is fine on deer form 20 to 300+ yards. There is tons of ammo on the market also. And my favorite reason, it's a short action.

Look for a good deal on a gun in either caliber.
    So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/7/03 3:51:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 308
    whiskey101, is THE MAN!

I am a 308 fan myself

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 1:04:30 pm)
    I'm with Ballistic up there, a good Marlin 336 in .30-30 is the way to go. It's a short gun, great for heavy brush, and at those ranges, you don't need a scope, so you can stick with the stock iron sights, which have done me wellfor many years. Plus, it's fairly cheap and cheap to shoot. If I had to trim my collection down to 3 long guns, it'd be one.

{ONE PARTICULAR HARBOUR}{Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen Shop}

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 3:05:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 308
    300 yards with a 30-30 and iron sights? I wonder what the holdover is? Would have to be an expert with the rifle to do clean consistant kills with that setup.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 12:41:22 am)
    How does changing the demensions of the case change the ballistic coefficient of the bullet?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 1:35:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: deer rifle
    You mean like why does a .30 carbine have more drop at 300 yards than a 30-06?

buckweat
    (1/11/03 2:05:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del yea rite
    so you are saying that i can cleany kill a deer at 300 yards with a 30-30 open sites????? maybe with a scope but thats still pushing the limits, i was thinking more of a calibur that is made for long range

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 4:10:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: yea rite
    I am certainly not advocating the 30-30 for 300 yards shots with iron sights.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/03 2:00:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: B.E.
    I mean like the terminology is being used wrong according to my reloading manuals.

The ballistic coefficient is determined by the bullet shape and density.

They both can use the same 30 cal. bullets so there is no advantage for on cartridge over the other concerning the ballistic coefficient of the bullet.

Anything the 308 can do the 30-06 can do. With the option of doing it 2 or 300 ft/sec faster. If you choose to.

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 3:52:34 am)
    when do you shoot a deer at 300 yards?!?!? most likely its 150 at max!!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/15/03 10:06:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: B.E.
    On the wide open praires of South Dakota. That is where

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 6:14:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    After careful consideration I recommend the .17HMR!!!!!!!!!

or the 25-06..............

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum* Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

Page 1 2 buckweat
    (1/15/03 7:32:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del yea
    i hunt in a corn field and shots are not always the 150 yarders i'm saying if theres a deer out at 300 yards i want to knoe that i can hit it

308shtr
    (1/21/03 2:24:54 pm)
    260, 270, 280, 7mm mag, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06. They will all do the job at the ranges you are talking about. The 308 is currently my favorite, but I wouldn't hesitate to use any of these calibers. The deer surely won't know the difference.

Some bullets such as ballistic tips and SST's are designed for long range shooting and will mess things up at 50 yds. If you stay away from them you won't have any problems.

These are all flat shooters where if you sight them in a couple inches high at 100 yards you won't require any guess work out to 300. Just put your crosshairs where you want to hit and you will.

Good luck and good hunting!

Mauser45
    (1/25/03 1:57:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The 30/30 is fine for distances you'd find in the woods or swamps but forget about it for 300 yard shooting. At 300 yards it shoots about as flat as a rainbow and the vast majority of lever actions don't have the necessary accuracy for 300 yard shots. If you should choose between the .308 and the 30/06, pick the .308, its lighter, handier and on the average it is more accurate than the 06'. No critter could possibly tell the difference between them when it comes to power.

olfrt
    (1/29/03 12:18:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 308/"06
    Having hunted both mule deer and elkwith the 30-06 and 308 out here in the west I think either is more than adequate. Knowing your rifle and your ability to make clean kills is the determiniing factor. Shot placement is the key. Ballistically the '06 has an edge and would be my first choice, but then i like a long barrel and want to extract all the velocity a load is capable of producing.

guns4me
    (1/31/03 12:14:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 308/"06
    Try the Remington 260. Stay away from ballistic tips. Go with 140 grain soft points. You will be very pleased.

mblynm
    (2/6/03 2:50:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Deer Rifles
    I am relatively new to this forum but a longtime shooter and hunter (Over 60 years.)

In the FWIW Department I would opt for separate rifles in each situation. For the short range swamp/woods area, either a 30-30 or a .44 Mag. I have and have been successful with a Marlin 336 and a Marlin 1894. (I am extremely left handed and started with a lever action at age six since there were few offerings for southpaws in the old days. I learned to shoot with a Winchester 67 which my Dad told me when I could bring 5 rabbits home with only 5 shots, he would get a repeater. That turned out to be a Marlin 39A which is my favorite for plinking.)

For the longer shots 200-300 yards, with a lot of practice to assure clean kills, I use a Browning BLR Lightning in 30-06 and have recently gotten a Ruger KM77LRBBZ in .270 that is a honey for these type shots. I have found over the years that overall the 30-06 is about as versatile as they come.

Edited by: mblynm at: 2/6/03 5:42:15 pm

lockedcj7
    (2/11/03 12:22:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del .270 or 7mm-08
    I do the exact same kind of hunting, <50yds in the woods and >300 in pastures and fields. (even in the south) I have cleanly taken deer at ranges out to 360yds with a .270win. or 7mm-08rem. They are ballistically identical with similar bullet weights, they don't kick much, they don't destroy much meat (even at close range) and the ammo is available at wal-mart.

I use 120-140gr. bullets in both and usually go for heart/lung shots.

The 30-30 Win. is not a good choice for ranges greater than 200 yds, even with a scope.

Dry Powder
    (2/11/03 8:56:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Best deer Deer rifle

I have used 25-06, 30-06, .308, and 300 win.

We have large deer here but face the problem that 75%
    of the time The shot is from 50 to 200 yards.

If you can take two guns take the 300 for long shooting
    lanes. The .308 is great up to 250, and it is still a
    one shot kill gun.

25-06 a favorite round but always with the challenges.

30-06 has a big case but if you load for accuracy
    ie sub 1", I think the .308 will equal it for 150 gr.
    bullets and it is more accurate in a shorter easier to handle gun.

For 300 yard shots, can't beat a tuned 300 win in a 165 grain bullet. You can do a 4 inch group at 300 with the
    right rest and the right load.

270 is a great round but very similar to .308 in energy
    in a longer gun, so why beat through the bush.

If you are going to carry a long gun you are better off
    with a 300 win.

30-30 I know I am going to get into trouble, but over 75
    yards we call them leg breakers.

shogans
    (2/21/03 3:27:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del leg breakers
    A 30-30 does not fall into a leg breaker until its out past 150-200 yards and then if you realize your drop is going to be 3" it's simple adjustment.

shogans
    (2/21/03 3:49:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Deer rifle

www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_..._table.htm

Before you ask which gun to take to the field to shoot 50-300 yard shots I will first ask: are you proficient enough to shoot 50-300 yard shots? Having one gun (with scope) set up to make these shots has more to do with your knowledge of the gun and how it performs.

Being able to hold you X hairs on somthing 200 yards away and somthing 300 yards away has more to do with you and less to do with the gun.

Its a preferance whether you choose a substantial knock down caliber like the 308, 30-06, or 300 mag. Or somthing little less mass but more speed and flatter trajectory like the 270 or 243. I don't like trailing little bleeders so I go for the big guns pushing bigger bullets.

I find this chart on recoil to also tell a big story.
    www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

For that matter just go to www.chuckhawks.com
    hes got so much info to read it could take a month.

But most importantly learn how to hold the rifle steady and don't flinch by spending lots of time shooting. Not until you do that should you shoot 200-300 yards.

shogans
    (2/23/03 6:15:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Just a comment
    It was just a thought someone tell me to go jump off a bridge or somthing

Page 1 2 << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>