Deer Stand or The Ground

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Jmg198, Nov 14, 2007.

?

Do you prefer to hunt deer from a stand or the ground?

1. I prefer deer hunting from a stand.

43.2%
  2. I prefer deer hunting from the ground.

56.8%
  1. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

Do you like to deer hunt from a stand or do you like to hunt from the ground? I am going to try deer hunting from a stand this year. I am open to tips for hunting from a stands. What are your reasons for hunting deer from a stand as opposed to hunting from the ground or vice versa?:)
  2. I prefer still hunting from the ground. Sitting in a stand is too much like shooting ducks in a barrel for my taste. I may not get a buck as often, but I have more fun. :D
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Ahhhh.... I gotta admit, hunting for me is as as much practicing stealth as it is "hunting" for the most part.

I'm going to ride the fence here though, as I do often.... When it comes to harvesting meat because I need/want it now, as opposed to next month, I'll hunt a tree stand for awhile, while admitting that I cant sit in that thing more than a couple hours... I also trap hogs occasionally, not near as much as I have in the past, but thats my view on the topic.

Crpdeth
  4. When I hunted often, I used to go on some kind of a stand for the first hour or so in the hope of catching a nice buck when it became light enough to shoot. After that though, it was generally still hunting in likely areas where the bucks were holding up.
  5. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I usually hunt from the ground during firearms season, and very rarely hunt from a stand during that time. But when I am bow hunting I'm in the tree stands.
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I used to always use a stand during the "Magic Times" of sunup until mid-morning, and about 3:00 until dark, and still hunt in between...

..but now since I lost my usage of all the land on the other side of the fence, I have less prime area to hunt, heck from two of my stands I can pretty much see all the cover I can hunt, surrounded by a couple of hundred of acres that are tilled, so I sit most of the day now...

Interestingly, I never used to see deer in the late mornings or early afternoons from a stand, and had to go in after them where they were bedded, but last year the only nice buck I saw was about 1:00pm from the stand, but too far to shoot...I was surprised at how many deer went by it at ALL hours

I like treestands for a couple of reasons, not the least because you see more deer, but that I think it's safer, (as long as you don't lose to Gravity!:eek:) because you can see OVER the "ground clutter" and thus be more sure of your target, your shots are heading down into the ground, and not parallel to it, but mainly because chances are other yahoos probably aren't shooting up in the air and will hit YOU....

Plus, two months past my heart attack, I think I will probably be sitting most of this season at least...;)
  7. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

You bring up some good points Polishshooter. As long as another hunter doesn't mistake you for a world record squirrel you should be safe. I was looking at deer stands the other day. Are there any commercial rain conapies for stands available?
  8. polishshooter

Yeah there are, I don't know the names, but I've seen a few at Dicks, Dunhams, Gander Mountain and Rural King...

But I'm leery of using them, because not only is it wet when it's raining, it's also usually WINDY, I'd be afraid of it moving and attracting attention...plus while they keep rain from coming DOWN on you, they don't do much if it's coming from the SIDE....

They even make one style that totally encloses you, which is good because it would also hide any of your extraneous movement from the deer, but I would think it would also limit your field of view, make it harder to hear deer behind you and well as limit your fields of fire.

I usually just carry a nice quality, but still inexpensive vinyl Stearns poncho rolled up in my game bag of my coat, I've sat through some real monsoons and kept fairly dry, and by tucking the ends under my legs and back keep from flapping in the breeze, but still have freedom of movement to shoot if I have too...and the thicker ones are not that loud either...I use the solid flourescent orange ones, I stick out like a sore thumb then to other HUNTERS who might be covered up as well in the rain, but color blind deer don't notice at all, I've had them walk right under the stand with the "Polish Punkin' right above them!,) I also have one camo one, but only use that in early squirrel season when we don't have to wear orange....squirrels I guess CAN see color...

I always SEE more deer when it's raining, unless it's right during a "gullywasher," but then you don't HEAR them as easily so be ready to shoot!
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  9. durk

durk Active Member

Yes, Yes, Yes!! Me also! I hunt mostly public land, so when all the other hunters are walking around I'm letting them push the deer to me.:) Last year after watching hunters walk 100 or 200 yards (or closer) from my stand, the deer would circle around them and end up near my stand. As for rain. I spent about $20 on my tree umbrella (best $20 I have ever spent)Wal-mart) I forget what it is called but it screws into the tree. Good size too, comes in a small box about 20 inches long and about 3 inches wide. (something like that) I will always hunt from a tree if I can! During muzzle loader season a few weeks ago I saw 14 deer (all to small) some looked right at me from about 5 to 10 yards away. Never flagged or ran, just walked off eating all the way. You can also move around a bit more with out to much worry.
  10. ki4dmh

ki4dmh New Member

I don't hunt any more but when I did I hunted from a stand.
    Scott
  11. remguage

remguage New Member

still hunt only
  12. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

I do both, archery is generally from a stand or blind. Black powder and rifle really depends on the mood I'm in. If it's just fill the freezer I will usually pick a stand. Both my son and I enjoy stalking when it comes to bucks, can't beat the rush of being able to get in close on a deer.
    Don't like or use tripods anymore, I had a nasty fall when a leg collapsed. I had just turned to sit when it went down and my pant leg caught the peg coming down. Thought I'd broke my back when I hit, limped back to the truck then had someone take me in to the hospital. Tore a ligament in my knee,fractured two vertebra and broke my scope. Put out for the balance of the season. Real lucky I didn't end up paralyzed and airlifted out.
    So even though I use the occasional stand the closer to the ground the better.:D
  13. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

After having that kind of experience I would hunt on the ground too. It's good that you made it through the fall TheJakster2.
  14. polishshooter

One thing about stands though, is I think WAY too much premium is put on getting high....I know guys who go up 20 to 30 feet, and preach height to get the scents above the treetops...

But MOST of my stand hunting has been no more than 10-12 feet up in a ladder stand now, and I have a LOT of success...Yeah I get "busted" when the wind is wrong, and by moving at the wrong time, but then again my FALL if and when it happens may not kill me....:cool:

Heck in my younger days I used a climbing stand, and once had trouble getting back up the tree after coming down, and gave up only 6 feet off the ground, and decided to rest and take a drink,....and not 5 minutes later shot my VERY first buck at about 20 feet!:p

My wife bought me a nice 15 foot ladder stand a couple of years ago, and I spent a season all the way up, but it is a LOT harder and more dangerous to set it up alone, and THEN even though the tree is pretty stable, up that high it is WAY more supple and sways more in ANY breeze....:eek:

Plus now you have to aim so much LOWER....

SO two years ago I only used two of the three ladder sections, so am only maybe 11 feet up...it's easier to put up, it's much more stable, easier and safer climbing up and down, I won't fall as far;), and I've killed three deer in two years from it....

It's LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.....NOT your altitude......;):D:D:D
  15. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

I almost always hunt from a natural blind. Like finding a tree trunk with overhanging limbs, Cedars work great for this or in a root ball. I have even went to the excess of digging back into a root ball to make it more acceptable. I also like to set up on the side of a ridge so that I can watch game trails on the other ridge, mainly I try to keep that to two hundred yards or less. Can't speak for Deer up in Minnesota or the like but the White tails here in Idaho and when I was hunting Washington all seem to like to move along about fifty or seventy five yards below the ridge line. Gives me a good back stop and I can watch them without my slow movements bothering them. I prefer to find a trail that intersects with one or two other trails and watch the forks of this area,if I can I will get into a spot that I can watch the area coming from and going to the bedding area's. Seems to work for me anyway, Good Luck. I am thinking of building an elevated stand on the back side of my property just for shooting varmints. Any ideas on just how high I should go? I will build it on four by six pressure treated posts and will be about six by six. Will try to get that done this summer.:D catfish