1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

DEER TENDERLOIN ADVICE

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by AL MOUNT, Oct 27, 2009.

1. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I was given a deer tenderloin, it is thawing as I type.

Being a novice at wild game cooking ,,, :confused:

I came here to get some expert advice. :D

What is the best way to cook it ?

I have a propane grill available.

should I soak, marinate, it in something ?

if so what's your favorite marinade and for how long.

any other tips would be appreciated .... :D

Do you think thawing in the micro-wave affects the flavor adversely ?
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

Al,

venison is sometimes very tough, so you need to extra tenderize. Remember, they exercise much more than a cow.

On another note, that sure is a fine, handsome dog in your avatar. Is he(she) a Mastiff?
  3. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Yep it is, Baby Leo is an AKC Champion,

actually too small to keep showing as a Special.

Last weigh in he was 200 lb. 3 oz.

but he's fattened up since then..... :D

[​IMG]
  4. red14

red14 Active Member

He looks better with that pretty lady in the peach outfit. No offense!

Beautiful, beautiful animal!!

You sir, have good taste!

!
  5. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

No offence taken... :D

The lady is Vickie our handler, pic taken in 2004.

She is a professiondler handler, her own breed is Belgian Terveurns,
    which we have one of.
  6. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

For quick and easy I marinade in Italian dressing for an hour or 2. Grill to medium rare Venison should have pink in it! Over cooking makes it tough. Yes the Microwave is adverse. Good luck and Good eatin!!!
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

This is an easy way to fix a backstrap. Take the backstrap and cut into slices no more than 1/2 inch thick. Let the slices soak in milk, water, salad dressing, whatever. The point in soaking is to drain the blood. Pound and flatten or tenderise the heck out of it. Dip in egg wash and batter it up. Fry it off and enjoy. Goes good if your at the hunting camp and had 5 or 6 Crown and Cokes in ya. ;)

Edit

I looked back and saw this is tenderloin. Same thing but I would not cut it up. you have a much smaller piece of meat.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Well it depends on which loin you have. If it is the long piece of meat that came off either side of the spine along the length of the deer's back then this is what you can do....

For fried steak.
    Cut it into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices and tenderize of the deer was more than a year or two old. Use a meat mallet or the edge of a saucer or the back edge of a heavy butcher knife to tenderize. It shouldn't take too much. Coat the steak with salt, pepper, and garlic mixed with flour and then fry in a skillet with a little olive oil till the outside is brown and the inside is just past pink. If you over cook it it will be like eating a shoe. Same goes for thawing in the microwave.

Another option for frying is to cut into steaks that are 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and then marinate them at least 6 hours but preferably overnight. You can marinate in whatever you like. Then take the steaks and roll them in flour and sear in a skillet coated with canola oil. Once the outside is golden on each side slide the skillet into a preheated 300 to 325 degree oven and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes for desired doneness.

To grill just cut 1/2 inch thick or so and then marinate for 4 hours in Italian dressing and grill till desired doness. Good eatin for sure!!
  9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

10. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Thats the info I wuz looking for....

Alas.....:rolleyes: ...too late

The tounge of my jump boots wood have tasted better... :(
  11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Well ya just need to get someone to give you some more and try again. It really is good eats if done correctly. Deer meat isn't as forgiving as beef. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner but I have been a bit busy the last few days getting everything in order for returning to work Monday.
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

When I cook venison, I follow the rules for cooking a similar piece of meat is it were a nice piece of beef. Many people have told me that they can't tell they are eating venison.....

Treating Bambi this way has never given us a bad steak or roast.
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Probably a little late to help you out, as the venison is probably gone at this point; but some pointers that may help you out in the future:

1- Microwave is good for only two things Microwave popcorn and drying of dessicant.

2 - Germans know meat like GN knows prohibited minor websites :D:D Ya can't go wrong with most any German recipe. here's a link to a great site and a venison recipe that I am just waiting to try out. Season opens this weekend !!!

http://germanfood.about.com/od/meatbasedrecipesandmenu/r/venisonsteak.htm

3 - as Flannel stated, bacon makes everything better, ever had a bacon wrapped G23? Better !!!

4 - my preferred thawing method is under cool running water or in the fridge for a couple of days depending on how big a hunk of meat it is.

5 - a good glass of wine with game meats is a must at my house...... course' I'll have wine with icecream... but hey, it's my house! :D Shiraz, Muscat or a full bodied Zin are my choices.
  14. Angryisme

Angryisme New Member

Like Marlin said, I too use the method of relating it to a similiar piece of meat.
    which if it's steak sized, I always sear it on hot hot heat for a couple/ few mins (depending on thickness) on each side.
    then an additional couple mins at a little bit lower heat to thoroughly cook thru.
    that's the best and only method I use. I have never beat any kind of meat to tenderize.
    I suppose it works. I mean I've seen people do it but I just never have.
    I just stab the crap outta it with a fork on all sides. This does 2 things... 1)if you marinade it, it allows the marinade to seep deeper into the meat and 2) it allows for a more evenly cooked meat by allowing the heat deeper into the center.

a decent sized piece of meat should never take more than a few mins to cook when proper heating methods are used. as stated above.
    additionally CUTTING plays a bigger role than most know. Always cut ACROSS the grain and never with it.
    If you're wondering where you're at during the cooking process, don't be afraid to cut into it and check the center for a better indicator of "how much longer" just cut it properly! ;]

and finally, if you have no idea what to do with a certain cut you've got....
    stick it in the crockpot!!!
    It's definitely the easiest, lowest maintenance, and proves best results!
    just takes a hundred times longer :p