1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Defend-a-General (Civil War)

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/31/01 7:56:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Defend-a-General (Civil War)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I decided to start a new thread! Maybe we can do this for other wars too. Vietnam would be fun, but don't get me started on "Dugout Doug."

Xracer and Obelix, (with very little "stirring" from me! ) were getting into a good "discussion" about "Little Mac", "Fightin' Joe", "Ol Marse Robert," et al.

I didn't wan't anyone to miss it, especially in the one where I started a boring explanation about this forum.

That might turn ANYBODY off...

OK, I LIKE McClellan. He was a first class organizer, tried some "high tech" stuff, like aerial spotting for indirect artillery fire, let Hunt do his magic at Malvern Hill with no interference like other Generals did.

I don't think ANY Union General at that time was a "fighter," except Grant in the west, and he was drunk at the time.

He was just as mistaken about the importance of an "Advance on Richmond" as Lee was about an "Advance on Washington." And believed in the old-fashioned mythical "Napoleonic Climactic Battle" just like Lee, too.

And you're right X, I kinda like Joe Hooker, too, can't figure out why. Maybe it IS the name!

I've tried to like old Ambrose, though, but I really think his only REAL forte was politics, and he wasn't even that good at that, just good enough to keep getting important assignments even after he screwed up his last one. Like a "bad dream..."

I think Braxton Bragg was one of the best the South had...

OK, I'll shut up. Go to it.

Edited by: polishshooter at: 3/31/01 8:08:24 pm

obelix2
    (4/1/01 3:45:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Defend-a-General (Civil War)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not much room for controversy. How about this: The best potential generals died too early to tell, eg AS Johnston on one side, Phil Kearny on the other.

polishshooter
    (4/1/01 9:47:57 am)
    The SMARTEST General in the CSA was Hill, I think, who said something like "Give me Confederate Infantry and Yankee Artillery and I'll whip the WORLD..."

I'm also partial to Sherman, think Custer was a "Boy General" his whole career, and of course, to follow your reasoning, what about "Stonewall"? HE was brilliant.

I like Meade too, even if he didn't "pursue..."

obelix2
    (4/1/01 11:46:59 am)
    Stonewall mystifies me. He pulls off in the Shenandoah Valley (admittedly with help from Washington, DC) one of history's most brilliant campaigns, rushes his army to Richmond, where it might have been decisive, then sits and prays and sits. A manic-depressive?

Xracer
    (4/1/01 12:10:23 pm)
    obelix.....I've always been struck by the parallel between Stonewall and Montgomery. Brilliant at El Alimain, and spent the rest of the war "pivoting on Caan" or "regrouping".

One thing you could say about Joe Hooker.....he must've had the happiest troops in the Union Army.

Xracer
    (4/1/01 5:17:30 pm)
    Actually, my favorite Civil War General is..........Jubilation T. Cornpone. Hero of "Cornpone's Retreat", "Cornpone's Disaster", and "Cornpone's Humiliation", his statue stands proud (and covered with a lovely patina of pigeon droppings) in the town square of Dogpatch, USA.

Celebrated in comic strip, Broadway play (L'il Abner), and song, Cornpone was the one Confederate general about which there was absolutely NO controversy.

polishshooter
    (4/1/01 6:55:08 pm)
    While I firmly intend to get into "Defend-a General War II" some day, let's just say Montgomery was a genius ONLY when he was spoonfed his enemy's EXACT intentions via Ultra intercepts AND was ordered by Churchill not to disregard it!

He had a tendency to second guess only the correct intelligence...

But the troops loved him! I almost think there is a better parallel between him and McClellan...

obelix2
    (4/1/01 8:07:22 pm)
    A good part of McClellan's problems in the field came from a tendency to believe what his intelligence service was telling him. Perhaps he should have ignored Pinkerton; but then McClellan never had an Arnhem.

Bob In St Louis
    (4/1/01 8:15:47 pm)
    My son's middle name comes from General Lee - guess where my sympathies lie!
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

polishshooter
    (4/2/01 9:23:10 am)
    Montgomery believed "his" sources first, and since any from an outside source came from someone obviously less intelligent than he was he tended to disregard it. Arrogance is common in Generals, but sometimes certain Generals can best be defined in a by two words- "Arrogant A**hole!"

IMHO (Can you tell I didn't like him?)

Someday I will regale you with my opinion of the other "Mac."

obelix2
    (4/7/01 2:58:05 pm)
    The topic is doomed to burial unless I say something truly outrageous. Best CW general: Nathan Bedford Forrest, commander of the force that slaughtered Black soldiers at Fort Pillow and one of the charter members of the KKK.