Defending yourself after the collapse of society

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Martwizz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Shotgun: versatile, reliable and very effective.
  2. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

New GUN WORLD mag has an article about new ammo for .223 rifles that won't overpenetrate any worse than a handgun, less than some handgun ammo. Only one they mention is PDX1, sounds kinda lilke frangible ammo. I keep #4 shot in my SD Mossberg, they say it's less likely to be an overpenetration problem, but at in-the-house range, plenty powerful..
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good Coach Gun with sling,
    Good long range shooting varmint rifle with good optics, and sling,
    Good semi-auto pistol with plenty of mags,
    Plenty of ammo for all,
    and, visit the range on a regular basis and master EACH weapon.
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

your thinking of doomsdaypreppers its on natgeo tonight at 9
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have come to realize in my relatively short time on this earth that nothing EVER happens the way you plan it. So, Only advice i can offer is get alot of practice and secure as much ammo and firearms as you can afford, In a doomsday situation youre not going to be using your weapons primarily for food, you will be using them to defend what valuables (to survival) you have in your posession, and it will be against your fellow man. Go get aquainted with shooting at the 'T' so you will destroy the 'apricot', afterall, each bullet saved is another meal in a survivalists world.. And learn to dehydrate any meat you kill, Jerky will sustain you as well as fresh meat will and it will last a whole lot longer without refirgeration.
  6. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

I watched the 2nd episode last week of Doomsday Preppers. And speaking of gold to barter with...how about the guy that was buying up all kinds of booze for the same thing. And he didn't drink. It's on my calendar for next week to watch.

When we get our income tax refund. The list contains:
    2 each pump shotguns, 12 gauge, 3" chamber
    2 or more shotgun shell bandoleers
    Lots of bullets (i.e. .38 special, 12 gauge, and 9mm)

I am the guy that has a Hi-point 9mm for carry and a Jennings J22 for back up. I worry about this. I do have a .38 Special for carry and a .38 Special Derringer for back-up and this is most likely the way I will go and then add a shotgun.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I have always felt that the "fewer shots without reloading" concept of a double is pretty much made moot by how quickly you can reload those 2 shots versus trying to cram 5 shells into a pump while running, or simply being "adrenalized' by the conflict in the first place.
  8. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

I have a few thoughts on preparing for a doomsday scenario but first let me set the stage. I firmly believe in it and have been adding a little to preparations each week for a long time now. I am very well prepared to survive and defend myself and family, both physically and psychologically. I also have a bug out bag just in case too, my truck camper stocked with supplies. Having said that, I think the majority of us like to think we are perfectly capable of surviving on our own no matter what. I am sure many of us can. But the reality is very few of us have had to do that and even if we could, how willing would we be to leave our families and loved ones alone if they were not physically able to join us? Very few I think. I have modified my thinking somewhat on bugging out.

A lot if not most,or even all of us, have worked very hard to get where we are in life. We have food, shelter, warm homes in the winter, medicine in our cabinets and the companionship of loved ones and friends. Why would we give that all up to go run to the willy wags, sleep in tents or shelters, scramble to find food and water, run the risk of infections when we are cut or worse, and freeze in the winter for those of us in the Northern sections of the country? Even if our elderly, sick and children came with us, would we want that for them? Not this man. I am prepared to defend all that I have and all whom I love, right where I am, to the death if necessary.

I think we place too much emphasis on individuality in bug out situations. The Bible tells us that man was not mean to live alone. In my advancing years I have come to embrace that. A prior post was made, which one escapes me as I write this, that there will always be a man when survivors gather who will seek to take control and direct the activities of the group. That does not surprise me. Even wild horses have a stallion whom they follow. I supsect many of us do not need a leader, but the reality is most people are followers, not leaders, and an effective leader is crucial to the survival of any group.

What I think we should consider as a group, instead of trying to run, is to infact unify with our neighbors. All have different talents to contribute. Those who can fight should fight and be supported by those who cannot. Meals have to be cooked, look outs are essential, medical knowledge is a must have, clothing needs to be mended, wounds sewn up. I could go on but you get the point. I think most Americans abhore the thought of an end times scenario. I do. I want to see my granchildren grow up happily, well fed and adjusted. But if that cannot be, than we need to join with others to protect ourselves and our country. For those who, for whatever reason, finds a doomesday scenario exciting and have none to care for, they could join our armed forces in protecting our country from all foreign threats. I often wonder if the gun control people realize how formidable an army this country has other than our standing military, who love this country, most likely have served it, and would gladly stand up and defend her. It boggles my sensabilities why they would want to strip those of us who feel that way of our firearms.

Neverhome
  9. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Rhuga, I had one of those once. Load it up with CCI Stingers. They pack a wallop.
  10. Iron Eagle

Neverhome, I feel like you do. As a veteran, I willing to whatever I have to do to protect my family. I know that Father God has a good plan, and He always takes care of His kids, no matter what! If it comes down to it, we will be standing when the smoke clears!
  11. Iron Eagle

I have to add this- get an AK in 7.62x39. Ammo is cheap, it will keep running no matter what, and whatever you shoot at will drop.
  12. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Iron Eagle,

Glad to see I am not alone. Too bad the distance between us is so far. I'd be proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with another veteran.

I have owned an AK for a long time. Love its ruggedness and availability of ammo. I have topped it with a scope with see through mounts, and can keep the rounds in a coffee cup at 100 yards which is not too bad for an AK.

Neverhome
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not going anywhere. First of all, I believe what the bible says anyhow and if I believe that well, I dont need to run. I will do what ever I need to do right where I am at and believe me, thats alot. When all of that runs out, well, I know of a much better place with streets paved with gold. I dont wish to die but I certainly dont fear death. I am ready every day to meet my God.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If any of you intend to stay in your home, and defend it, make sure it's bullet proof! Brick it on the outside, or add sheet steel to the inside. What ever it takes. As for me, I'm not going anywhere, but I won't be in the house!
  15. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

As most of you chaps in the good ole USA will know, the concept of owning a firearm for self/home defence purposes is not recognised here in the UK. In fact Brits posting on USA gun forums like this one must always be very careful when discussing such things! :eek:

Our local FEO's (Firearms Enquiry Officers) will be aware of forums like this one and particular threads which originate here in Engerland (Britland). :mad: Yes it stinks but those of us entrusted to possess lethal firearms must operate within the bounds of the law of our land. It agrieves me that I can't talk openly about such things however I would add my own reason for owning firearms is ONLY for sporting purposes (pest control).

Here in the UK 99.9% of firearms which are used to hurt people are in fact unlawfully held by criminals. Licensed firearms are rarely used for such a thing (Dunblane, Hungerford, Cumbria). In my opinion it's all about breeding - if you have been bought up to respect human life then it's unlikely you will ever use firearms in a manner contrary to law (self defence accepted). The few incidents where licenced guns have been used to hurt others is the result of people becoming utterly MAD. I can't help but think these nasty evil ruthless people should never have been given a licence in the first place....

Then again anyone can hurt someone if they really wish to - simply go the the kitchen drawer and take out the carving knife! I can't see the UK government ever licensing kitchen knives can you?

For an "end of the world type situation" (something I can safely discuss), someone in the UK should aim to own 2 guns - a 12g shotgun and a .22LR rimfire rifle. Our current feeble anti-gun laws stop us from owning anything else...

I'd love to say more but alas it's simply not possible the way things stand here at the present.

It was said that Hitler advised his generals NOT to ever consider invading the USA mainland because so many citizens owned guns. Progress would have been very difficult indeed (almost every citizen would become a sniper). Here in the UK we were invaded years ago by foreign cultures and they have no need to beat us with weapons they simply outbreed us with their womens wombs (10 to 1). We are well on the way to oblivion....
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  16. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

It's sad that England was overrun with liberals, I hope and PRAY EVERY DAY we do not end up with a liberal pres, Senate AND House. With the current pres, we would be totally destroyed within two years- he's close to it now.
    One of your countrymen contributed to an article in one of our gun magazines recently, in which he warned us of two things. One, not to elect liberals and two, not to argue about "I want my guns" to people here. In the first place he said that the people here that are anti-gun will not change their minds until it's too late ( he visits here reularly, even lives here some.) The second part was when we argue with people who are on the fence, we shouldn't argue for guns, but for our rights. He said we need to tell them- if govt. takes away our right to own firearms, they will take away other rights. So if the fence-sitter doesn't want to lose rights he values, then he should fight for OUR rights.
    God bless you sir, maybe we could pray for England, as well.
  17. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

Just to let you know where I am coming from, I spent 19 months in combat with the paratroopers in Viet Nam. I learned a lot from the other guys with whom I served. One of the most important things I can tell you is to LAYER YOUR DEFENSES.

Now, having said that, I would suggest you consider getting a scoped .303 British SMLE for precision shooting needs. With practice, a good rifleman can easily shoot out to 600 meters or so. That takes care of long range and precision shooting once you've mastered that rifle and scope.

Next, you should consider a semi-automatic .22 LR rifle like a Ruger 10-22. The Ruger 10-22 can be adapted to fit a variety of different equipment as needed. You can add on flashlights, red dot sight systems, lasers, telescopes and so on. One nice feature is that if you practice with them you can learn to shoot them almost as fast as some machineguns. You can also get high capacity magazines for them if you want or are legally allowed to have over there. With practice and learning to use the Mozambique shooting technique, at close range a .22 caliber rifle like a Ruger 10-22 is a thing to behold. That takes care of your close range needs.

If things get down to melee fighting and too dangerous to use rifles then you should have something for slicing and cutting. When I was overseas, I carried a good, sharp sheath knife on my web belt. The sheath knife came in handy for all sorts of things such as cutting cords, cutting wood and so on. It was always there for personal defense if I needed it. Now, with what I know, I would include either a hammer, hatchet or tomahawk for personal defense needs as well as the sheath knife.

I like the people from Great Britain. I love to watch a pretty British girl and listen to her talk with her accent. Her accent would drive me nuts. I could waste a whole day just watching and listening to her but I'm pretty sure that sooner or later somebody with a badge would throw up stalking laws in my direction or something. But I've been to London, visited the Tower of London and did a Jack the Ripper walk with Don Rumbelow as the guide. Stopped by the old Ten Bells Pub and had a drink too. I have fond memories of London. I hope that one day your nation returns to saner thoughts on private ownership of firearms. I hope that return happens before something drastic occurs and your people suffer from the errors of the anti-gun liberals.
  18. FreeWill

FreeWill Former Guest

I wouldn't take these posts so seriously.
  19. tango1niner

tango1niner New Member

Lots of good ideas here. Whatever you decide to get you need lots to feed it.
  20. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

not knocking a shotgun by any means and I own quite a few including a couple special purpose HD guns with tac lights, shellholders, etc... While they're great for one or two home intruders, they are not anywhere near the capability of semi's

there's a reason militaries around the world use magazine fed 'assault' rifles. They are the most effective weapon over a broad range of scenarios.

A good M4 variant AR15 works great at 1 foot or 500m and reloads can be accomplished in about a second with a little practice. 30 rounds on tap is an incredible increase in firepower over any shotgun, even the saiga's and the like. not to mention the 60 and 90 round mags out there now.

M14, FN FAL, AK, AR are the top rifles that are ideal for SHTF as they are of decent to excellent caliber, good availability of ammo as well as magazines and parts.

shotgun you're severely limited in capacity as well as range. sure, you can have a slug gun that does well at several hundred meters but won't hold a candle to sustained fire from 7.62 20 rounds at a time with near instant reloads.

military weapons are designed to kill. The ammunition is not necessarily. So have both, FMJ's kill just fine BTW but if you want to improve, there's plenty of expanding bullet choices for all.

All that being said, yes I read the first post so keeping THAT in mind,

a good pump shotgun with as much mag capacity as legal would be ideal. Maybe even a Saiga if that falls within the legal 'semi auto shogtun' although a pump is more reliable IMO. I do have a coach gun that is frequently the only shotgun at the ready but much prefer the mossberg 590 or a rem 870 with a tac light.

A coach gun can be reloaded quick but limited to 2 rounds. Pump can be reloaded just as quick but with up to 10 rounds or more, big difference.

so food for thought on SHTF here in general, and my .02 to the OP if he's still able to read/post here. Best wishes,

AA