defensive shot gun choice?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ZEPHYR, Dec 4, 2004.

1. ZEPHYR

ZEPHYR New Member

What make and model is best for defensive home use in a shot gun. 12 guage of course. I see several of different bareel lengths and magazine lengeths. I have never had a shot gun so know little about which one would be best for home defense.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

For home defense, I would recommend a short-barrel (easier to swing in a narrow room or hallway), pump action 12 ga. (the bigger the better) with a 6 to 8 round capacity. Basically what's known as a riot gun.

Here are a few good ones: http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

For your purposes, the basic #50411 would be a good choice.
  3. ZEPHYR

ZEPHYR New Member

Thanks for the link. I was told that Mossberg has the safty on top ,away from the triger and that remengton had thiers down by the triger guard which is better and easier to get at in a hurry. What do you think?

Seems like it makes since. If you needed to get at it under presure I dont think fumbling around away from the triger is a good idea. :eek:
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Mossburg 590.
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Stash is going to be along in a minute to say the Ithaca 37 pump - and he's probably right. I agree with the shorter barrell. I like the Benelli's - but that's just me. You can get a good gun without spending that of money - although the Nova is reasonably priced. Of course you can find a 870 Remington with plenty of after market support on the used rack for low bucks most everyday.
  6. Sackett

Sackett New Member

I have a Mossberg 500 that I consider a home defense gun. I've seen newer Mossbergs with about 9 shot capacity that I would dearly love to own if I just had the money to match my dreams. Hopefully, I could take care of any so called " home invasion" with the 500 though. It will probably do the trick.
  7. offeror

offeror New Member

I'd say the top 4 most popular consumer models (excluding the hi-priced stuff) would go like this:

Remington 870 SP (riot gun - 18-1/2" barrel and cylinder bore, 4+1 or better)
    Ithaca 37 riot gun (18-1/2" barrel and cylinder bore 4+1 or better)
    Mossberg 500-590 riot gun (18-1/2-20" bbl length, same bore, 4+1 or better)
    Winchester 1300 Defender (20" barrel, 7 shot standard tube on those I've seen)

I like the 870 a lot; I only sold mine to replace it one of these days. The Ithaca action is great for me too as a leftie, since it is a bottom ejecter.

The Mossberg now has a military contract which is hard to quarrel with; some dealers used to think the Mossberg was more fragile and the Rem 870 was the way to go. The Winchester is both well liked and dissed, depending on whom you ask. It looks pretty good to me in the store...

If you have the money, a semi-auto like the Rem 11-87 or one of the Benelli tactical guns is even better nowadays. For the home you really want a short barrel indoors, at least -- 18" to 20" is about my limit on it -- 20 because the tube will hold more rounds. And some of us contemplate getting a tax stamp and an SBR one of these days... the factory equivalent of a sawed-off version.

This is just my personal view on it.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  8. Neil

Neil New Member

Just make sure you get one that goes Boom........J/K

I like the wilson combat scattergun's they're short and look very user friendly.

One that is spinable in a narrow hall is always best, dont' want a 28" hunting one that you cant turn around with.

Only my assumptions cause I have no shotty yet.
  9. ZEPHYR

ZEPHYR New Member

Question. The slide action slide asembly on the mossberg {part 29 specifically}http://63.149.92.163/manuals/52458_500_835_590.pdf

seems rather flimsly. It seems that the rods would be easily bent in any heavy action. Any comments?
    i saw one in the store and noticed how easily the would bend compared to say the winchester 1300 or remington.

Also, what do you think about the aluminum reciver on the mossberg verses steel on others?
  10. offeror

offeror New Member

The slide was a concern among those who felt the gun was not as robust as the Rem 870. If you're already questioning the Mossberg, I'd say choose one you don't have to worry about, like the Rem 870 SP with Magnum receiver.
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I put my Mossburg 590 thru quite a few 3-gun matchs with no problems. The military calls they're version the 590-A1.
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

45Smashemflat, am I that transparent, that, now, you read my mind?
    Just because it is as reliable as the sunrise, and as available, as water, is no reason to pick a shotgun. Style, and class, ought to matter. Where you live,at least. Me, I live in the outskirts of the world, and, one way, or another, will keep it that way, since I don''t like people, very much.
    My shotgun has to work, at a moment's notice, 100%, or I get whupped, which is no fun, since the "county" is two thoughts/ 911 calls away.
    Fact is, the 37 works, and the US Army agreed with the idea, when it was re-named, the m-10!
  13. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Just pokin' at ya bud, I know the 37 is a good gun and has a lot going for it. I pick up one of the two on the used rack at the local shop almost everytime I'm in there - they are just too proud of them - 12ga Featherlights at $399.... I'll get one right soon and it will be my "behind the door" gun...
  14. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i have a double barreled stoger that i like pretty good
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Here is some advice buy a plain 18.5 Mossberg500 OR a Remington 870 Buy the parts ex. pistol grip, flashlight, laser or what ever your heart desires and put it on yourself. I came out a lot cheaper thatway.