Definition of Hubris

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by raven818, Apr 3, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hubris (hu·bris), also hybris, means extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

George W. Bush speech after capture of Saddam Hussein:
    The success of yesterday's mission is a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq .
    The operation was based on the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the Dictator’s footprints in a vast country. The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force. Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers in the hunt for members of the fallen regime, and in their effort to bring hope and freedom to the Iraqi people. Their work continues, and so do the risks. Today, on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate them.

Barack Hussein Obama speech, Sunday, May 1, 2011:
    And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as I continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.

Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by my intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan . And finally, last week, I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.

Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad , Pakistan.
  2. gad1111

gad1111 Member

One step away from saying he pulled the trigger himself

Greg
  3. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action,

I can't believe someone didn't take full advantage of the remark about his thinking he had enough intelligence.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

raven, what a great use of the word hubris and I thank you.

Ron
  5. musclehead

musclehead New Member

wait,.... he didn't shoot Bin Laden?? :eek::eek::eek::D
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Obozo thinks he is the hero in this story!

Main Entry: pride
    Part of Speech: noun

Definition: arrogance, self-importance

Synonyms: airs, assumption, big-headedness, cockiness, conceit, condescension, contumely, disdain, disdainfulness, egoism, egotism, haughtiness, hauteur, hubris , huff, immodesty, insolence, loftiness, narcissism, overconfidence, patronage, pragmatism, presumption, pretension, pretentiousness, proud flesh, self-exaltation, self-love, smugness, snobbery, superbity, superciliousness, swagger, swelled head, vainglory, vanity

Antonyms:

humility, modesty, shyness, timidity
  7. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I believe he has topped himself today. At a Washington prayer breakfast he compared his "sufferings" to the agony and ressurection of Christ. I believe the news reported that as being this morning. The man really does think highly of himself.
  8. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Could you possibly post a link to this strory! I would love to be able to pass it on.