Definition of "sawed off shotgun"

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by 45Smashemflat, Dec 26, 2005.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I shoot a mossberg 500a with 18.5 bbl equally long tube and a top folding pistol grip stock and been checked several times by the sheriffs "BUT THEN AGAIN I LIVE IN MISSISSIPPI ANYTHING LEGAL"
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  2. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

AHA!
    We gotten to the Tactical Shotgun discussions....
    MMuuuuuwwwaahhhahhhahhhhaaaa
    Sorry about that that...
    I'm getting deeper into that area of the firearms hobby... I'm "projectizing" a1968 Wingmaster as I type this. Picked it up for ...$114 :p

Check out...
    www.shotgunworld.com
    There is a separate "tactical Shotguns" board, and some very neat, sometimes impractical guns over there. But, there is also a lot of good info to be had, the folks seem to be nice over there too....

45Smashemflat - it looks like Surefire has a whole forend/light assemby that looks to be of high quality, and well regarded...
    The Daddy
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Very nicely stated Stash247. You don't know pissed until your house burns down, takes your truck with it and kills your dog. 30 minutes after I buried my dog, the ATF and Bomb investigator wrote me a citation for having a fire during a county burn ban. WHAT!!!?? I was welding in my garage and a spark got away from me. It's not like I was burning trash or something. I was WELDING! The fire they cited me for was the house fire. The ATF was involved because the neighbors reported bombs exploding in my garage when the fire started. Ignorant liberals were simply hearing two cases of 12 guage shells popping and a couple of half full propane cans. The ATF Agent told me that if I made a stink about the citation, he would find a way to put me in prison for 10 years. He said that mere fact that the neighbors said the word "bomb" on the 911 tape was enough for him to put me away.
    By the way, I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record. And they wonder why they are so passionately hated.
  4. southernshooter

It is easyier to break down and buy a A.O.W. and not worry about any of it.:)
  5. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Here, by law, that would be an 18" minus barrel and would be illegal. If you want to cut say a 24" to 20", you have to ask for an authorization, but is leggally possible to do.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bluesea112, now you are getting a grip on my definition of having a 'short stick'; I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, and doubly sorry to hear of the BATF 'chiming in', after the fact, but it goes to the nature of the organisation; they were and are trained to mess with folks, doing no wrong!
    My personal philosophy is to avoid, at any cost, any 'official' conversation, with any LEO, as our ends are at opposite extremes; "Alphabet Cops", simply re-inforce this conviction!
    all the best,
  7. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

Damn liberals trying to take away my rights. So what if I wanna have a 3'' barrel??? ;)
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I agree!

They have 357's with two (2) inch barrels, why can't we have 3" shotgun barrels?
  9. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Thae same shotgun is legal in Texas also.If it was up to me everything would be legal, just like it was before 1933.
    Hey Berto have you ever seen a Thunder Five? It was a revolver that could shoot either 45 longs or 410 shotgun shells, and to the best of my memory it had a 3 inch bbl.A freind of mine has one.
  10. southernshooter

You can have one, unfortunetly you have to deal with the AOW/SBS bull crap
  11. kfb2b

kfb2b New Member

Here is something that you may want be well aware of. In the 70's, theer was a gunsmith local to this area that would take old pump guns and cut them to 18". did this for years, marking the guns with his mark, then sold the shop off and died. Flash forward 15 years or so. The buyer is doing the same thing, and ATF shows up to arrest him for cutting shotguns under legal length!!! he shows them the "measuring stick", a rod 18 inches long. Drop it down the barrel, mark the spot and cut right? WRONG!!!!! SOME of the time it works, but others, the barrel is just a hair under 18", and that is hair enough for trouble!

So make it longer, just in case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
  12. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

3 inch shotgun barrel???:eek: Could you imagine the recoil?
    ?
  13. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

3"? Where do you see that?

A guy I know who works for a police devision in Prattville says that it's best to be .5" to long then 1/32" off.
  14. Luke

Luke New Member

i was under the impression that a "sawn off shot gun" was any type of shot gun, with a portion of the barrel sawn off with a saw of some sort, so its more easy to transport and the pellets disperse quicker.
    Luke
  15. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member

I did it the safe way ... I put on the pistol grip first then measured my 26 1/2 inches LOA and cut the barrel to match ... That way I made sure the barrel was legal ...