Definition of "sawed off shotgun"

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by 45Smashemflat, Dec 26, 2005.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Luke, the term "sawed off" shotgun generally means that the barrel is too short, or the overall length is too short. You could have a factory 20 inch barrel on a shotgun but saw off the stock behind the trigger gaurd and make it a "sawed off" shotgun.
    It is NOT illegal to saw off your barrel. As long as the barrel is not cut shorter than 18", then you are perfectly legal.
    .410 shotguns are the exception to this rule. Since a .410 is a caliber and NOT a gauge, it is technically NOT a shotgun. This is the reason it is perfectly legal to manufacture, purchase, and use a .410 handgun. A buddy of mine has a double barrel .410 handgun that is only 6 1/2" long. That thing is sweet. If you load that thing with buckshot, you are standing behind some incredible stopping power!
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

As a follow up to my last post, I wonder why nobody has manufactured a 1.00" caliber handgun that holds 1" shells w/ pellets instead of cartridges with bullets? As long as it is labeled as a 1 inch caliber, and not a "gauge", wouldn't it be legal to make and own?
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Mainly, because you're operating on a faulty assumption.

.410 caliber handguns are not legal because of their designation. They are legal because they are RIFLED rather than being smoothbore. If you were to ream out the rifling on a Taurus Judge, you would have an illegally manufacutered short-barreled shotgun.

Also note carefully that those .410 handguns are sold as being able to shoot .45 Long Colt cartridges, which is their main designation as a handgun. The fact that the chambers are cut large enough to also accommodate .410 shotshells is a secondary characteristic.
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thank you for he clarification Johnk3. That makes perfect sense.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

John K offers wise counsel; cut what was originnally a .410 smoothbore, to less than 18", and you arein the 'ten years, free rent' district, and, if convicted, can never own a firearm again!
    Don't screw with the rules, or attempt to 'sharp' on them; the price is very high!
  6. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If the only requirement is for a barrel to be rifled, why hasn't a manufacturer offered a rifled barrel handgun in .700 caliber (~12 gauge)? They could change the label on boxes of 12 gauge slugs to read ".700 revolver".
    Hmmm, what a coinsidence....12 gauge slugs just happen to fit .700 revolvers....and .700 revolver just happens to fit 12 gauge shotguns.
    Cartridge manufacturers stand to make some easy money because they could charge 4 times as much for ".700 revolver". Inexperienced shooters would buy it all day long and never know they were shooting 12 gauge slugs with pretty new label.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Because handguns and rifles have to be under .5 inch bore diameter. Rifled conventional shotguns are permitted.
  8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Oh. :( Guess I wasn't the first to have this idea.
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, when I shortened my inherited '97 Cyl bore to get rid of the polychoke I specifically had the 'smith shorten it to 18 1/2" just in case I ran into an ATF agent with a "short stick.":cool:

ANY smoothbore, save muzzleloaders (and I wouldn't mess with them there either, they are probably as unintelligent with them as well, just like "suppressed" air rifles.....:mad:), it's no LESS than 18" barrel AND no LESS than 26" overall....
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Polish, they all got 'short sticks' otherwise they'd git a real job!
    I use a Starrett steel scale, and cut 18 1/4", breech face to muzzle.
  11. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member

If I remember right a 28 gauge is around that magick .5 caliber isn't it?