Democrats Give Wilson Ultimatum: Apology or Punishment

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by GunHugger, Sep 11, 2009.

1. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

By Chad Pergram

FOXNews.com

Friday, September 11, 2009

House Democratic leaders announced Friday they will discipline Republican Rep. Joe Wilson next week if he does not apologize on the floor of the House for yelling "You lie" at President Obama during Wednesday's joint address to Congress.

Democrats say they do not know what the sanction will be, but it is doubtful it will be censure. Censure in the House is a type of reprimand. Another alternative is an official rebuke.

At the time of Wilson's outburst, the president was announcing that his health care reform bill does not cover illegal immigrants, a position that Wilson apparently didn't believe.

The episode shocked lawmakers of both parties. Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi stared daggers in Wilson's direction after the shout.

The discipline will not come until Tuesday at the earliest. The full House votes on the resolution. If the House approves the resolution, Wilson will then stand in the well of the House as his punishment is meted out by Pelosi, presiding from the dais.

This decision is a reversal by the speaker, who told FOX News after the speech she saw no need for discipline. At her weekly news conference Thursday, Pelosi reiterated that stance and said she wanted to move forward with health care.

But Democrats changed course Thursday afternoon after a leadership meeting in Pelosi's office.

"Democrats say the insult clearly violated House rules of decorum. Therefore, the issue needs to be resolved on the House floor, either via apology or resolution," said Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly.

The House rules state that lawmakers may not accuse the president of "lying" or being a "liar."

Wilson rejected three requests to apologize on the House floor Thursday. He apologized twice after the speech. One was a general, written apology. He also issued a mea culpa by phone to White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. The president said Thursday he accepted and appreciated the apology.
  2. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

He could use it for a sincere apology and then to tell the truth about Health Care. It is all in the wording ...
  3. topper

topper New Member

what's wrong with telling the truth? has our nation degraded so much that the truth is no longer wanted? if it were me that done this 'heroic act' of truth, i would not apologize to anyone for my actions. let them 'punish' the man for his feelings. it should set a precedent in america that the truth should be known and told and not apologized for. We need more men like rep. joe wilson to stand up for the truth. but i do feel sorry for REP. JOE WILSON because he will be chastised until the end of time for his action.

Keep both barrels loaded!
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    And I can teach thee, coz, to shame the devil—
    By telling the truth. Tell truth and shame the devil.

William Shakespeare, "Henry The Fourth"
  5. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

He needs to apologize BECAUSE he DID (as I discovered above) disobey the rules of decorum set for the House. One may tell the truth and should, but they should do it properly within the standards that they previously agreed to. In this case, (because of the rules of decorum) he should sincerely apologize, BUT he has now been given a huge opportunity to state "the truth" - as I stated in the earlier post - it is all in the wording.

If he does not apologize, then his previous apologies will look like a Republican sham ...
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  6. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

REALLY????:mad::(

Is that really true?????
  7. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Actually it is,

BUT Pelosi should have to eat her own words because:

In other words… Bush is a liar. So, it is all a matter of interpretation.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  8. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

So it was ok for Democrats to "boo and heckle" Bush at the 2005 State of the Union Address, but it's not ok when a Republican calls Obama a liar? If we are going to punish him, then all involved in the Democrats heckling and booing in past years should receive the exact same treatment - including the aforementioned Pelosi and Emanuel.

All the best,
    Glenn
  9. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

I am pretty sick and tired of Democrats getting the big stick out and whackin who ever disagrees with them. What goes around comes around Nazi Pelosi
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

Looks like a worthless rule that is detrimental to the well being of the country.
    I think it needs to be changed. :rolleyes:
    The truth will set you free.

Art
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

He has nothing to apologize for other than his bad manners interrupting the speech.

What he said is TRUE and the burden should be on the Damnocraps to PROVE BEYOND A DOUBT and with a REASONABLE CERTAINTY that his comment was untrue. Having read the proposals up to this time, that would be an IMPOSSIBILITY.....
  12. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

The liberals never follow the rules, but yet they expect everyone else to do so. Then they scream and yell and insult and namecall when they get called on it:rolleyes: Liberals are like a bunch of whiney little brat children:rolleyes::mad:
  13. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

What Joe said liar to was that Obama said illegals would not be eligable for the health care. You and I both know that illegals will allways have free health care in this country.

So if the president lies you cant call him on it.

I want to know who is going to apologize to the American people for the health care plan when it falls short and is free to everyone including illegals.
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

His web site is up so I sent him a note telling him it is refreshing to hear someone in Washington speak the truth. I thanked him and wished him luck and urged him to keep fighting. I was going to tell him to throw a shoe next time but suspected he wouldn't take it the right way.
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Dear Mr. President,
    I can trace my family back to the beginings of our nation.
    One member was named William Dawes. Do you remember him?
    As a scholar of the constitution, I assume you know he rode with Paul Revere. Needless to say, my family has been here for a while.

So, in your own words, tell me why my son has no health coverage?
    My family has been paying taxes for quite some time.
    In your own words Mr. President, convince me as to why illegal immigrants are worthy of free health care while you deny it to my son.
    My son was cut off my health care because I can't afford to pay for his college tuition. If I get a COBRA for him, I can't afford his tuition. Mr. President, your rules say I don't qualify for any monetary help.

Yet somehow, my taxes can send illegals to school and get health care at no charge.

Dear Mr. President, can you please justify why/how this is acceptible in your train of thought?

And while your at it, let the rest of us know how it all works mathmatically.

Thanks for your attention Mr. President. I look forward to you response as to why this nation will be a better place because I'm getting screwed in lieu of all the non-contributors.

BTW, my son graduated HS in the 11th grade.
    He's a bright young lad, far ahead of his pears.

Why is he being punished for the sake of the ignorant?

It's not really a difficult question Mr. Obama.

I just wanna know why all the money I've given the the public educational system is being used to strangle my child.

If you want to rape me, just say so. If you want to look the other way, just say so. If you want to tax me to death for the benefit of those that don't feel the need to pay the same, just say so.

Thanks in advance.

A shot across the bow would be welcome.