Democrats on Guns

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Marlin, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Interesting comments by Alan Gottlieb of Second Amendment Foundation that speak the truth about the plans for gun owners by the Obama crowd. This is
    today's SAF Newsletter News FLASH..... :( :( :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Democrats to gun owners: ‘The party is over’
    By Alan Gottlieb and Dave Workman

Breaking up is so hard to do. Judging from the Democratic Party platform, remarks from presidential nominee Barack Obama and his selection of anti-gun Sen. Joseph B iden as a running mate, the long, transparent courtship of gun owners by Democrats is over and instead of a goodbye kiss, there was a slap in the face; the political approximation of a domestic assault.

It was inevitable. After Democrats lost Congress in 1994 because their actions brought legions of angry gun owners to the polls, the party re-packaged its rhetoric and tried to sell itself as a friend of the Second Amendment. American gun owners, who are increasingly becoming gun rights activists, are not the fools Democrats think they are. As we note in our new book These Dogs Don’t Hunt: The Democrats’ War On Guns, Democrats earned their reputation as being the party of gun control. Instead of rhetoric, they need to repudiate their long-standing animosity toward gun owner rights.

The party platform tries to patronize gun owners by claiming to “recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ continued Second Amendment right to own and use firearms.” But then the document quickly reveals that Democrats have changed their tune but not their agenda: “We can work together to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements, like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background check system and reinstating the assault weapons ban...”

Gun owners know that the ten-year “ban” on so-called “assault weapons” – which included more than 200 types of commonly-owned firearms – had no measurable impact on violent crime, and that reinstating it is all about symbolism rather than substance. They know that gun shows are the source of less than one percent of guns used by violent criminals. They know anti-gunners believe “common-sense laws” include licensing, registration and a surrender of the “right to carry” to the discretionary whims of police chie fs and sheriffs.

The party chose Obama as its standard-bearer. He once served on the board of the vehemently anti-firearms civil rights Joyce Foundation. During his first run for public office he supported a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns and semi-automatic rifles. He supports mandatory waiting periods on all gun purchases. He told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review in April that “I am not in favor of concealed weapons,” insulting millions of armed citizens who care about self-defense in the process.

Gun owners know Biden as an anti-gun extremist. He consistently earns “F” ratings from gun rights organizations. He claimed credit for writing the original legislation to ban semiautomatic sport-utility rifles that are owned by millions of Americans who have harmed nobody.

The proverbial last straw for the firearms community was Obama’s remark during his acceptance speech that “The re ality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don’t tell me we can’t uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.”

The “reality” is that gun rights are the same for everyone, no matter where they live. And gun owners know from experience that Democrats falsely believe that the only way to keep guns away from criminals is to oppressively regulate gun ownership for everyone.

Mr. Obama told his faithful that Sen. McCain “doesn’t get it.” Actually, Democrats “don’t get it.” You do not woo people by treating them like criminals, and you cannot “support” someone’s civil right at the same time you regulate it to irrelevancy.

It is now clear to gun owners that Democrats only asked them to the dance just to get through the door.

Al an Gottlieb is founder of the Second Amendment Foundation (saf.org) and Dave Workman is senior editor of Gun Week (gunweek.com). They are co-authors of These Dogs Don’t Hunt: The Democrats’ War On Guns.
  2. right winger

right winger New Member

I agree 100%. I would like to use this on my blog. I will provide credit and links.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  3. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

This is not news to anyone who pays attention. I can't wait for all the dems to chime in how wrong this is. Maybe they will show some honesty and admit that dems are against guns?
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Lets take a look at republicans on guns.

President Reagan (republican) in 1986 signed into law, that NO NEW machine guns can be owned my citizens. It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street. He continued advocating (and pushing for) gun control (including the Brady bill) until his death in 2004.

President Bush Sr. (republican) in 1989 ban the importation of certain "assault rifles" the list of which, was later expanded on by Clinton.

Bush Jr. stated that he WOULD sign a renewal of Clinton's ban. Strategic political move or not, HE SAID HE WOULD SIGN IT.

Unlike the Clinton ban which expired, these laws/bans were PERMANENT and are STILL IN EFFECT.

I will ad that the Bush ban was by "executive order" There was no vote by the houses of congress to debate these actions. There are those that say the president doesn't have the power, and must go through congress, to pass a law. HA

Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (republican) of New York City, Is said to be one of the most aggressive gun control advocates today. His administration sued 26 gun manufacturers in June 2000, and whose police commissioner, Howard Safir, proposed a nationwide plan for gun licensing, complete with yearly "safety" inspections.

Governor George Pataki (republican) New York State, on August 10, 2000, signed into law, what The New York Times called "the nation’s strictest gun controls," a radical program MANDATING trigger locks, background checks at gun shows and "ballistic fingerprinting" of guns sold in the state. It also raised the legal age to buy a handgun to 21 and BANNED "assault weapons," the sale or possession of which would now be punishable by seven years in prison.

The list goes on. The fallacy associated with republicans being pro-gun, is easily proven to be FALSE. Of course there are exceptions. There are also democrats that ARE pro-gun. But for the most part, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the two parties. About the only difference is, that one is up front about taking your guns away. The other would rather LIE TO YOUR FACE, and then stab you in the back while taking them away.
  5. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I notice no explanations of why dems get such bad marks from all pro gun groups. So you bring up a few bad choices by pubs and that wipes out all the anti gun dems? The same tired examples that always follow any mention of dems and guns. Not good enough. Bold type wow I'm convinced dems are all pro gun. I can't figure out how someone who moderates/hosts a gun site can have anything but contempt for dems and their stance on guns?
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

So, Pick, does that make Obama your choice when you vote this November?

Pops
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Am I not supposed to point out, how we have been stabbed in the back by republicans, because it might burst somebodies precious little preconceived bubble that they are always FOR gun rights?

You must be one of the ones that only wants to hear ONE side of it. Not the truth. Lets PRETEND the other side doesn't stab us in the back. NOT!

I will continue to point out, who stabs/stabbed us in the back,
    NO MATTER WHICH SIDE DOES IT.
    Isn't that what saving our gun rights is about?
    Knowing the TRUTH?
    If it offends.....TOO BAD.

I have contempt for BOTH sides.
    I think that answers your question too.....Pops.
  8. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

So sit home and whine on the internet about how awful our system is. That will make it better. The point of the thread is that dems are worse by far and given the current crop of wacko dems in office and their judges, the GOP with its faults is still the best game in town with any chance to win. The I hate everyone line does not solve anything nor does it show any conviction for anything. Once again oh wise and all knowing Pick who would you choose? We wait with baited breath for enlightenment.
  9. Shellback

Shellback New Member

Just like I always have said there is not that much differance in the partys nothing ever really changes mostly it's a 1 party system "rebulacrats"..
    Tim
  10. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Marlin, thanks for the article but I don’t have any (D)s that I call friends; therefore I have nobody to forward it to.

Pick, you are correct in pointing out everybody that has stabbed us in the back!

Sat, you too are correct in saying that the (R)s are the best game in town.

I have crunched the numbers before and it was something like 97% of the (D)s are anti Bill of Rights, while it was almost the same number of (R)s that are pro Bill of Rights. The numbers that I crunched were from the voting records from both the US house and senate on key gun control issues.

I wish that I still had all of those numbers, but alas, they are on my broke down computer that is sitting over there. If you would like to do it for yourself, the Bills that I used as a reference are still listed at the GOA website.
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

What is ignored here is the Clinton ban was allowed to expire by a Republican congress with the help of a few conservative democrats. Would that have been allowed to happen under Obama/Pelosi/Reid? Would judges appointed an Obama/Biden voted that the 2nd amendment is an individual right? Would they pass more and more "reasonable restrictions" until no of us could own guns?

Sure there are RINO's that are a pain in the butt, that is why they are called RINO's. Who feels that gun laws under the current President Bush haven't gotten better? If you don't like a Senator in your state or a Congressman in your district then get off your butt and do something about it. I have tried to do whatever I can this year to get the moonbat congresswoman in my district defeated. Her opponent is now ahead in the polls and hopefully she will be beaten. Oh yes, she is a democrat.
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I will work as hard against an anti-American Republican as I do against an anti-American Democrat.

I will work in favor of a Democrat who respects and follows the Constitution against a Republican who does not.

I have few opportunities to do the latter, and very few opportunities to do the former. Maybe it's something in the water where I live?

Pops
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I can't disagree with what you say it's just in this part of the country you have Good Republicans, Bad RINO's and worse Democrats. In other parts of the country any politican that is elected has to favor the second amendment. Lucky them.
  14. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Look at the DC gun ban and who signed on against it. Out of 55 senators 18% were dems the rest were pubs. Out of 250 congressmen 27% were dems the rest pubs. Where the rest of congress was on this I don't know. The odds are with the GOP. Does that mean that a dem can't do the right thing? No but it should give you pause when it comes to their intentions regarding guns.
  15. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

What everyone seems not to notice, (or "forget"), is every politician has a vested interest in gun control. The further up the political ladder then climb, the more removed they become from, not only basic issues of John/Jane Doe, but the founding principles of our government.

Its the "What's Good For Me" principle....... >mw
  16. RDak

RDak New Member

The facts for over 40+ years now clearly show the Democratic leadership to be rabidly anti-gun.

The Republicans, by and large, over this same time period, have been clearly pro-gun.

These facts are simply irrefutable IMHO.
  17. knothead

knothead New Member

I think politicians do what is in THERE best interest,little if anything more. Ive rarely seen anything to make me think different. I vote for who best represents my views and values. All of us do {i hope}. the trouble is we cant rely on only what they say they will do. Ive seen some comments about whining on the internet or getting out and doing something. To me , anytime or anywhere and to anyone you express your views to is helping this cause. too many nonshooters have NO CLUE what the shooting sports or guns are all about.Just what they hear or see through the media and the movies. THAT doesnt help at all. A coworker didnt even know such a thing as target shooting even existed. Thats the kind of people that need to be informed. politicians depend on votes for a job. thats where informing the uninformed can help. right or left-- they all bend to voting pressure! thats my 3 cents
  18. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Pick,
    I agree, we should ALWAYS point out when ANY party, or politician within a party, fails in their duty to honestly represent their qualifications, their record, and their obligation to honestly represent their constituencies.

We should follow this doctrine regardless of wither our interest relates to gun rights, abortion rights, voting rights, or any other right or issue that arises is concerned.

For example: Pointing out that Mrs. Palin has flip-flopped on the Bridge to Nowhere issue is not calling her a bad person, it's just pointing out that she's changed her policy; same with ear-marks.

Don't give ANY of 'em a 'free pass' without calling their hand!

There will be days when we aren't the most popular 'posters' on the forum, but if we can make just one of our fellow posters THINK (even if they don't change their mind), the day is a success.