1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Dems for GOP

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by lefty48, Feb 9, 2008.

1. lefty48

lefty48 New Member

Okay all you Republicans, maybe you'll find this slightly amusing or if nothing else, long winded and from your perspective, cracked.

Last night I was talking to my pal, who claims to be a Democrat who hates Hillary.

He said he wants McCain to win the election because he believes that no matter who wins, the country is about to go into a deep and rather long recession, and there will be no satisfactory outcome in Iraq.

According to his thinking, the next president, will be viewed as a miserable failure no matter who it is, and as a Democrat, he wants the blame pinned on the Republicans. He believes that McCain would at least act in an intelligent and responsible manner, even while essentially failing.

Let McCain go down in flames along with the economy and the Middle East, and then Obama or somebody, makes a big comeback as the next FDR to bail us out. So think of McCain as the Hoover/Carter guy, and his successor as the FDR/Reagan guy.

If you accept the purely hypothetical premise, it may be a somewhat plausible argument, especially considering how Jimmy Carter is now often viewed, and the no-win situations Carter dealt with. In some sense too, GWB can be compared with Nixon, at least in terms of his popularity if not his IQ.

Of course, the flip side of this argument for Republicans, would be to hope that Hillary, or perhaps Obama, wins in November. Then you can bring Karl Rove back for the kill or something.

I'm rather neutral on the topic but probably won't be voting for McCain due various recent Supreme Court decisions from the right wing that favor corporate and government rights over those of the individual. You see, I'm a Liberal.

Another friend of mine, further to the left, and with whom I am in even less agreement, prefers McCain to Hillary because he thinks she is more beholden to the Israeli lobby than McCain, and would for this reason be less likely than McCain to withdraw from Iraq and more likely to attack Iran.

To me that only has but a small grain of truth, and sounds a little nutty, maybe even a little close to anti-semitism, though he's half Jewish. Personally I agree with him only on the view that Israel has a bit too much influence on US policy and was, purely as an historical idea, a big bummer but one that it is far too late to change.

-------
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Thats a good old liberal for ya, always wanting the worst for America, always thriving on misery and conspiracy.....I'll tell ya, the liberal left are more laughs than a three stooges marathon
  3. lefty48

lefty48 New Member

You somewhat misconstrue the underlying viewpoint, which is indeed deeply pessimistic and a little perverse.

But the rationale is essentially non-partisan and the implications could be applied equally to either side, although obviously with a different voting strategy.

My friend doesn't WANT or seek a long deep recession nor an unsatisfactory outcome in Iraq. Rather, with some reason, he simply EXPECTS that these things will occur, regardless of who is president.

I think it's rather clever, but I'll be going for the Dems mainly because of the Supreme Court's ideological drift toward favoring government and corporate power over individual rights. Like I said, I'm a Liberal.

--------
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  4. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark

I've heard this line of thought a lot recently.

I personally believe, the text in bold, will not come to pass,

reguardless of which side wins, JMHO....:)
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

What is it about the Jewish state that the Left seems to hate? I don't understand it. My personal dealings w/ Jewish people, has always been positive. I've found them decent, hard working, warm, personable, family & freedom loving people. I admire the fact that they don't take any crap from anyone & won't let another Holocaust happen again.
  6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood. I picked up so much Jewish culture, that later on in life, when I was dating a young woman who happened to be Jewish, she introduced me to her parents as a "nice Jewish goy."

What I don't understand is how so many Jews can support the Left when the Left is *so* hostile to Israel?