Depriming Unfired Primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tanker6, Mar 31, 2010.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I read the Dillon link and am curious. They say to squirt oil, WD-40 or CRC into the primer magazine and then throw it away and they will send you a new one. Not being an owner of a Dillon, is this because the jam can't be cleared or is it for some other reason? Are they saying you should toss your brass afterwards as well? Just asking.
  2. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Toss the unprimed case out (oil can it), don't fool around with it. It is not worth the risk, IMHO, especially one that is loaded reversed. Your depriming rod will be working exactly the same way as a firing pin. In my way of thinking, a primer is nothing but a miniature hand-grenade, a very sensitive one, something to be very careful when handling.

P.S. - The medical profession doesn't have eyeball transplants perfected yet!

Always wear safety glasses when working around primers or with any other reloading activity.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

If you are that worried about it then pull the bullets and powder and put the empty back in your firearm and try to ignite the primer by pulling the trigger. If they don't fire then you can either throw the case out or deprime. Your choice.
  4. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

In the first place, I always have eye protection...as I wear glasses instead of contacts now.

Secondly...sensitive hand grenade?? Sensitive noise-maker, maybe.

Thirdly, I've unseated primers for a couple different reasons and there is no reason to toss the case out just because you have a bad primer or seated it wrong.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  5. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

DGG quick question. I have read posts where people have had primers go off while being seated in the case. Is that less dangerous than when depriming them? If not then should we all stop reloading because of the chance of a primer going off while being seated? And what about the Dillon guys that have had a primer go off while being seated and set off the whole primer tube. After all if a primer is like a hand grenade then a primer tube full must be close to a small nuke. If you don't like to punch out live primers then I respect your decision. For a lot of us it is perfectly safe and we have no problem with it. I don't think that makes either of us stupid.
  6. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Whoa! What Dillon guys? The tube is a full 1.5" away from the seater. How is that even possible?? Dillon says absolutely not.
    Does anyone have a credible link to anyone who has ever had a primer detonation while seating with a press? (Without any odd tapping or tapping)
    In all the years I've done it, I simply wrap a towel around the bottom of the press and use the decapper slowly. In many dozens of rounds I've never had one iginit. The primer anvil is the other direction.
  7. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

These Dillon guys. Looks like it is possible and Dillon was wrong.

Dillon
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151812

Dillon
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90663&highlight=primer+tube+detonation

Post 4 & 10
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=321127&highlight=primer+tube+detonation

This one on a Lee
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167781&highlight=primer+tube+detonating
  8. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Thahnks for the links Rusty. Its the 650. We have 550s and no experience with the 650 operation. Pretty amazing stuff. I was thinking about a 650 but now I'll have to see an operator's schematic first.
    Thanks again.
  9. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

You're welcome. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a Dillon press either. I loaded on a friends Dillon 550 and thought it was a very nice press.
  10. Sinsaba

Sinsaba New Member

Most experienced reloaders I know call that MACHINE a press. Thought you would like to know so you wouldn't sound stubid

If you had read what the original poster had said you would have realized that he had tried firing the round a number of times and the primer wouldn't ignite. That being the case there is no reason to suppose that your solution would work.

I don't really think that someone who comes here and posts that what other people are doing is stubid (your word not mine) has the right to be saying "In My Humble Opinion" because the post itself smacks of arrogance.
  11. Sinsaba

Sinsaba New Member

Lee makes something called a reloader. I bought one for my .30-30 when I thought I might want to start reloading (I wouldn't suggest this to anyone as it isn't really a good example of what reloading is all about).

With the Lee Reloader you seat the primer by (I kid you not) setting the shell casing over the primer, putting a rod inside the shell casing, and hitting said rod with a hammer. I'm serious! If you hit it a bit hard it will pop the primer and with my .30-30 (remember large rifle primer) it bounces the hammer and rod up a couple of inches and that's all.

Using the decapping rod of the sizing die won't cause any problems (since you said you wear eye protection) though I might want to take my priming mechanism off the press just to be extra safe.