derringers

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by bntyhntr6975, Jul 3, 2009.

1. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I was thinkin the other day (not always the best idea). I normally carry my 1911 cocked and locked. My idea is that time is critical in a bad situation. But, if a person was carrying a derringer, how should it be carried? Hammer back, safety on? Or hammer down? It would use up a lot of valuable time pulling back the hammer, but I wouldn't really consider it very safe to be trusting only 1 safety on a weapon with no trigger guard. Do any of you carry one, and how do you carry it?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on your derringer.

Mine is an ADC. The safety is spring-loaded. You pull the hammer back slightly and push in the safety. While holding it in, lower the hammer. The tension of the hammer spring holds the hammer on the safety, which keeps the safety on. When you cock the gun, the tension is released, and the safety goes off automatically. It is not possible to carry the gun cocked with the safety on.

Derringers are cool little guns. I like playing with mine. But there is no way I would carry it for self defense. The ergonomics of it suck. It is difficult to cock quickly. The two barrels do not shoot to the same spot. The recoil is quite different between the top barrel and the bottom barrel. If you are not careful you can have a finger forward of the barrel when it fires, and burn yourself greatly with the muzzle blast.

For the same size and weight I can carry a J frame Smith and have five shots quickly and easily, instead of two shots clumsily.
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Hammer down/safety engaged.
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Ace bandage on left forearm (I'm right handed) with gun inverted. Hammer down, safety off. Draw is to reach into sleeve of coat (winter carry only obviously) and cock on the way out.
    Not that I'd actually carry this way, not only do I not have a concealed carry permit but I don't even own a subcompact handgun. ;)
  5. Better still, use the Derringer for a doorstop or a fishing sinker, and buy a very small but reliable handgun if you need really deep concealment that badly. Personally, I like the Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP for that purpose, or even one of the North American Arms revolvers in .22 magnum.
  6. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Wife's got a nice Colt .25. Older gun, accurate enough at 15' to do the job, similar in size to a derringer. Why limit yourself to 2 shots?
  7. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I'd just go with a Ruger LCP.
  8. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Thanks for the replies. However, (and not trying to insult anyone) its apparent that not all of ya read what the question was. LOL. I didnt ask for advice (thanks anyway though) on whether or not a derringer would be a good choice for defense, or a recommendation on what to buy. Simply, how should one be carried, if thats what a person has. Thanks to those who took the time to read the question, and then give a response pertinant to that question.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

When I carry one, it's half-cocked with the safety engaged. It's not a quick weapon from this point, but it's much better than putting a hole in your leg.
  10. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I would carry it cocked-locked on a wrist holster (from the Wild Wild West days ...):

[​IMG]
  11. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Derringers were traditionally carried in a vest pocket. Early derringers did not have safeties, and were carried uncocked. Not trying to insult you, but a derringer is a novelty gun these days, and not widely considered a worthy self-defense gun. Better than nothing, certainly.
  12. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Carry mine cocked and safety on! 38 spl with 125gr hollow point self defense bullets!
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

So, y'all that carry cocked with the safety on - Bond or Davis/Cobra, right? I can't find any other that has a safety you could have on with it cocked. But this is a cross-bolt safety. The Cobra looks high enough that you could push it off with your thumb, assuming that left to right is off. But the Bond is by trigger. Too low for your thumb. On the wrong side of the gun for your finger. How y'all take them safeties off, quickly?
  14. jondar

jondar New Member

Mine is a NAA .22LR derringer, no safety. I carry it hammer down. If the one second it takes to cock it will make a difference, it's probabaly too late anyway.
  15. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Hey, those slide-out wrist holsters: I always thought they were just Hollywood tricks. do they work? If so, why don't we see them for sale like other holsters?
  16. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I have a Cobra 9MM derringer I like to carry in my vest pocket when riding motorcycle. (sometimes I wear the vest without a shirt) When I carry it, its half coccked, safety on. With the Cobras you can't disengage the safety without it being at least half.
  17. plowhorse

plowhorse New Member

iwas advised by a friend of mine who is a former leo that if i were to buy the derringer I was looking at to spend the extra money and get the double action. after hearing how he and other officers responded to gunfire in the station bathroom because an officer had forgot that he had his hammered style in his pants pocket, I reconsidered my puchase.
  18. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I had a 44 derringer for a while. It fired both barrels at the same time. I sold it, I couldnt hang on to the damn thing every time I fired it.
  19. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a holster for mine but rarely carry it. It is best to set it up so that the bottom barrel fires first. It has a tendency to recoil straight back into the palm where as the top barrel will cause the muzzle to rise more. It is easier to get off a more accurate second shot when the bottom fires first.

I never really gave much thought about the safety but I think cocked and locked would be a good way to carry it for ccw.