Desert Eagle

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by disturbed13, Nov 28, 2007.

1. disturbed13

disturbed13 New Member

Who makes it?
    I know my spelling is horrible
    are they all just 1 cal?
    or is there more
    i seen one in a case at a local Gander Mtn. :eek::D
    wish i coulda held it :(
    oh well
  2. Ursus

Ursus New Member

They are made by IMI (Israel Military Industries), and come in several calibers: .357 mag, .44 Rem Mag., .50 A.E. and .41 magnum.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

It's big. My hand, from the tip of my middle finger to the bottom of my palm, is 8" (though, the area that my hand hold a firearm is 6-6.5") and when I held the DE, my hands barely made it around the grip; it was the .44mag model.
  4. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

i own, its big,heavy,and has a grip that only a gaint could use. But its very accurate. i had mine given to me i do not recommend buying their only good as a conversation peice.
  5. A-Zo

A-Zo New Member

They are not cheap either...
  6. disturbed13

disturbed13 New Member

what would be the point in carrying such a large pistol
    just to look like a bad ass?
    or is there a purpose to it?
    why would anyone buy one? just to flaunt the money that they have?
    or what?
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Yes to the first, perhaps on the second, but only if we stay close to the shoreline as much as possible.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  8. omegaman

omegaman New Member

The Desert Eagle is a great pistol that is maybe best suited for the handgun hunting enthuiast. I have an early 44 Mag and a later 50 AE. The DE is a marvel of engineering and exceptionally accurate. Used examples are a little more reasonable to purchase. I would not recommend it as a first centerfre pistol for anyone. It's also a bit more expensive to shoot because it must use jacketed bullets exclusively. Both of my pistols are capable of match grade accuracy, out of the box. The combination of accuracy, power, durability, and reliability is an outstanding feature of DE pistols. Even with it's cost it represents a great value. I'm a big revolver fan but I'm very happy with my DEs.
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Funny, someone told me that they lose a lot of accuracy after 10+ rounds because the barrel will get hot.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

I always wanted one but never got one.

For awhile years ago they made a 357 version with an aluminum frame that was a whole lot more managable, weight wise. I don't see that version catalogued anymore (??). Anyone got one? How is it?

LDBennett
  11. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

12. rondba

rondba New Member

It makes a good trout line weight and thats about all they are good for. A poorly made P.O.S.
  13. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Watch the movie, "Snatch", and notice what Bullet-Tooth-Tony is carrying.
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Ya, but movies are fiction, in reality the DE isn't a really practical gun as it weighs a ton (figure of speech) and when the barrel gets got (and with the heaver calibers, they WILL get hot) the gun becomes inaccurate. Flashy and cool looking and possibly fun to shoot, yes, but combat and defense worthy, no and probably not.

The Baby Eagle is actually a good line, from what I've heard and read.
  15. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The weight problem used to be handled by the aluminum frame (apparently no longer available ???). They are OK in aluminum, in my judgement.

The Baby Eagle is a CZ clone! Why not buy the real thing? CZ's are great guns! Certainly better than any clone of them and I have owned a couple of the clones before CZ's were available in the USA starting in the late 1990's. One actually ended up in the trash because it self destructed and no parts were available! The EAA Witnesses are better but they are spotty in quality compared to the real CZ.

LDBennett
  16. captainjc

captainjc New Member

I must disagree with omegaman. I own a 357 & 44 Desert Eagle and have shot hard cast lead through them for over 10 years with no problems. I have also taken deer & antelope with the 44.
  17. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

captainjc:

So in all those years of shooting cast bullet you have never had to clean the gas port in the barrel?

It is commonly recommended that no gas port gun be used to shoot cast bullets without a regular inspection of the gas system, especially the port from the barrel. Lead can get stripped off the bullet as they pass by the hole and end up clogging the port. That makes the gun fail to fully cycle. The best thing to do on any gas port gun is NOT shoot cast bullets in it but if you don't mind checking and cleaning the gas port frequently, I suppose it is OK. Omegaman is just stating what is common knowledge for gas gun in general.

LDBennett
  18. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I am a fan of Israeli guns. I have used a few, including some time with a Galil in 5.56, Uzi and Jericho (Not a fan of the CZ75 system) and they just work well. The DE however has always been a mystery to me. It's just too big and heavy for a handgun!

What were they thinking? really, defence, hunting, target shooting? I never fired one though, so maybe I am missing something.
  19. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

What you get with a DE is 50 caliber or a 44 mag semi-auto pistol, if you want it and minimal recoil because of the gas operation and heavy weight. But the aluminum framed model would be the way to go, in my opinion. Perhaps then the recoil might get to be more noticeable (??).

LDBennett
  20. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

did a store rental with the DE 50-shooting that was like shooting a 12 gauge shell out of a handgun, but i felt bad, like, badass-not to mention the attention it got on the range...

i couldn't see using this for anything more then self defense...against a bear, and at no more then 15 yards either...pretty cool though, i mean that is one BIG gun!