Desert Eagle

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by disturbed13, Nov 28, 2007.

1. captainjc

captainjc New Member

I must disagree with omegaman. I own a 357 & 44 Desert Eagle and have shot hard cast lead through them for over 10 years with no problems. I have also taken deer & antelope with the 44.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

captainjc:

So in all those years of shooting cast bullet you have never had to clean the gas port in the barrel?

It is commonly recommended that no gas port gun be used to shoot cast bullets without a regular inspection of the gas system, especially the port from the barrel. Lead can get stripped off the bullet as they pass by the hole and end up clogging the port. That makes the gun fail to fully cycle. The best thing to do on any gas port gun is NOT shoot cast bullets in it but if you don't mind checking and cleaning the gas port frequently, I suppose it is OK. Omegaman is just stating what is common knowledge for gas gun in general.

LDBennett
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I am a fan of Israeli guns. I have used a few, including some time with a Galil in 5.56, Uzi and Jericho (Not a fan of the CZ75 system) and they just work well. The DE however has always been a mystery to me. It's just too big and heavy for a handgun!

What were they thinking? really, defence, hunting, target shooting? I never fired one though, so maybe I am missing something.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

What you get with a DE is 50 caliber or a 44 mag semi-auto pistol, if you want it and minimal recoil because of the gas operation and heavy weight. But the aluminum framed model would be the way to go, in my opinion. Perhaps then the recoil might get to be more noticeable (??).

LDBennett
  5. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

did a store rental with the DE 50-shooting that was like shooting a 12 gauge shell out of a handgun, but i felt bad, like, badass-not to mention the attention it got on the range...

i couldn't see using this for anything more then self defense...against a bear, and at no more then 15 yards either...pretty cool though, i mean that is one BIG gun!