1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Destroyer Carbines

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    (3/19/01 9:50:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Destroyer Carbines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here I go, Hell bent on another research project. This time Destroyer carbines. All of the Destroyers I have examined have been labeled "9mm Bergmann" (9mm Largo)and have had year proof codes ranging from the late 1940s to the early 1960s. Recently I have run across several reports of Destroyers marked 9mm Parabellum, with year codes in the mid 1960s, and have even heard of a Destroyer marked 38 Super. Also, all of the Destroyers I have seen have been single stack magazines, but reportedly there were some double-stack magazine high capacity versions made.

Anybody seen any of the odd-ball Destroyers?
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Xracer
    (3/20/01 5:03:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Destroyer Carbines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob, check this out: www.9mmlargo.com/destroy/

According to this website, some were made in 9mm Para. and .38 Super (maybe).

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/20/01 8:16:40 pm)
    Thanks - I'm familiar with the Sociedad Largo web site, and have checked out their info. I'm just putting a feeler out to see if others have seen these alternate calibers, and about what manufacture code dates they may have. I have a hunch they will mostly fall out in the mid 1960s.

polishshooter
    (3/24/01 7:16:10 pm)
    I like my Destroyers with 5"/38s....

I'd take them with 4" or even the 3" if they were the really old and collectible 4 pipers...but most of them leaked.

Bob In St Louis
    (3/25/01 12:25:20 pm)
    Jeez, leave the window open and them smart-ass Eastern Europeans come crawling in. How's it going PolishShooter? Get that lap top working right? I'm still leary of getting online at my new job till I get some more time under my belt.

polishshooter
    (3/25/01 3:04:50 pm)
    Yeah, Bob, my company tried a different tack, change the title, add 3 times the work in half the area, sell it as a promotion, and keep you so darn busy you don't have time to get on the 'net. And since it's a "new position" the pay scale "just happened to be" the same as my last position which was eliminated. By the way, I should be on my company e-mail right now, my weekly reports are already late...

Oh well, it could be worse. I could be looking for a job like my old boss is.

Lest ol' WinColt shows up and starts crowin' about how I need a union to "protect" me, actually this new job makes me more valuable and harder to replace. And may even get me skills to get promoted in other areas in the company. You're never to old to learn new skills, especially when the alternative is unemployment...

But anyway, this site seems like a great place once I figure out the details.

Gonna' make cameo appearences on GB once in awhile too...

Xracer
    (3/26/01 8:30:03 am)
    Hey Polish.......a 5" 38 has got to be at least a D-cup!

Anyway, the Brits were sure happy to get those old four-stackers.....and we were happy to get a Naval Station in Bermuda.....most POSH naval facility I've ever seen (great golf course).

Bob In St Louis
    (3/26/01 9:03:28 pm)
    Okay, we ain't talkin about the floaty boaty things, we's talkin about cute little bolt action rifles.

polishshooter
    (3/26/01 9:13:35 pm)
    Boy Bob, I NEVER thought YOU'D "moderate" a discussion that involved D-cups...you must need another shot, or a habanero stuffed Spanish olive...

How much does a non-floaty boaty Destroyer go for nowadays? I always thought they looked neat. Pointless, but neat-looking nonetheless.

Bob In St Louis
    (3/26/01 9:54:19 pm)
    They are excellent rodent rifles. The Spanish Police used them for popping Basque rats.

Not long ago you could get one for $100 to $120. I have seen them going on the auctions the last few weeks for $250 to $300. Must be some growing collectors interest there.

I have been given a Moderators hat here, so I do every now and then have to try to kinda begin to sorta, shove nudge things in the appropriate direction. Then I sit back, say the hell with it, and take another swig of Bob's Best. But we are still talkin' Destroyer carbines ---

Bob In St Louis
    (4/6/01 9:12:09 pm)
    Just found out that AIM Surplus has a small batch of Destroyer carbines, rated very good, $139 each, $159 for hand select. Got me an order in for two select ones.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/6/01 10:13:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Destroyer Carbines
    Bob,

Let us know how the condition is of the ones you
    ordered, I was interested in a couple of other items
    they had for sale but was hesitant because I wasn't
    sure of their reputation.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
    (4/7/01 10:34:17 am)
    Believe it or not AIM is located only 9 miles north of SOG!

I've never ordered from them yet either, but probably will soon. They both are only about an hour from my house, and both allow "Pick up." I like those that do that, I drive all over anyway and can make my own schedule. One of the "fringes" of my job!

Bob In St Louis
    (4/7/01 11:00:51 am)
    AIM has been around for awhile, but they are sort of the "Quiet Company". They tend to be mostly an importer/distributor to other dealers, but have recently gone to dealing more in the open market, advertising in Shotgun News, and setting up a website: www.aimsurplus.com

I believe I may have ordered from them once many years ago, this is the first time I have placed an order with them in recent memory. They do seem to get some different stuff in than the other importers. What are you looking at TAC?