Detonics 1911's

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hkruss, Aug 16, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I just got an e-mail from Glock World saying they are offering Detonics 1911's for $699. First, I have NEVER heard of that brand. What do you guys know about them? Second, are they worth a crap? If so, is $699 a good price ? Your thoughts?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Detonics is an older brand. Back in the late 70s and 80s. Didn't know they were still in business. They were very good. They had two kinds. The Combat Master mini-45s (Detonics was the first factory-chopped 45), smaller than the Colt Officers, and full size (Scoremaster? I think they called it).

If these are original guns, they are close to 30 years old. If the company has stayed in business all this time, they've been hiding pretty good. If someone has started making them again, under the old name, I have no idea whether they are worth a crap or not.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/detonics.htm
    http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Detonics_Combat_Master.htm

I see from this article http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0101.html Jerry Ahern has brought it back. Makes sense, in a way. He loved it. Armed several of his characters with it. Notice, MSRP was 1200 dollars in this 2006 article.
  3. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

This is the 'new' Detonics - a new owner etc. I first shot one of the older ones in 1978. Their product was pretty good. Though I have not attempted using one of the newer ones, for $699.00 - that is a deal for the amount of detail in their weapons. They have all the basics well covered - but nothing real fancy ... but IMO worth a $699 price tag.
  4. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Yeah Alpo, the e-mail said MSRP of $1199 if I recall, but short time offer of $699 price. Maybe they are offering a good price to generate a buzz and get their name back out there. What chu think?
  5. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

If your willing to spend apx $600+ bucks on a 1911 then go with a SA or add on a few more bucks & get a Kimber
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I am not a big fan of any 45 ACP pistol in very short barrel lengths. The 45 ACP was designed (by Browning) to function in a 5" or longer barrel. The Colt Commander models used a 4.25" barrel and typically suffer a 25% degradation in ballistic energy.

When the 1911 design is miniaturized in cal 45 ACP, the cycling geometry becomes exaggerated, and reliability often suffers. This fact in conjunction with the degraded performance of the 45 ACP in very short barrels, causes me to opine that the 40 S&W loaded with chronograph selected (from a 3.4" barrel) 180 grain factory ammo is a better choice for a compact carry gun. {Typically one can find factory 40 S&W ammo lots that average 325 ft. lbs. from a short barrel; not so for the 45 ACP.}

If one must have and carry one of the sub-compact 1911's in 45 ACP, I opine that one would be wise to stick with the manufacturers and models that have a proven reputation for actually working reliably. Reliably may have different meanings to different people. I apply the old parachute standard. To me reliably means at least 1000 consecutive shots without malfunction, (cleaning only every 200 shots).
  7. brush_buster

brush_buster New Member

I have two original Detonics Combat Masters and carry them at work and as my concealed carry. I stake my life on these little powerhouses. I have shot HP as well as FMJ and I've never had a failure to feed or eject.

You can feel the quality when you handle one. Their accuracy is excellent and I've checked their ability to get excellent penetration on many different types of materials and I have no doubt they would permanently but a perp down for the count if needed.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) Never heard of Detonics?? giving your young age away. :)
  9. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

i have 4 of them the only 4 guns i will not sell at any price. i also have a kimber ultra carry II. the detonics is smaller not by much but smaller. for 699 buy 2 cant go wrong