deutsche waffen

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by rjlab4, Oct 29, 2007.

1. rjlab4

rjlab4 New Member

Hi
    purchased a deutsche waffen 98k 7mm mauser. 7rm is stamped on the barrel. can someone help with a recomendation for what type of ammo to use for deer hunting.
    the gun owners says 7mm (not magnum)german military. others say remmington 7mm.
    thanks ray
  2. What you have, rjlab4, is likely a 7 x 57mm Mauser. Most likely it is not a Mod 98, which was chambered for the 8 x 57mm, but rather a Mod 93, more commonly referred to as the "Spanish Mauser." Do NOT use any 7mm ammo in this rifle except the 7 x 57 Mauser rounds intended for it!!! If what you have is instead a true Mod 98k, it is chambered for the 8 x 57 mm Mauser round (7.92 x 57). There's not too much loaded for the 7mm Mauser today, but 8mm Mauser ammo, both military and hunting, is readily available. I do believe Wolf loads for the 7mm, but I'm uncertain if they load anything but FMJ ammo.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Like PS says it is PROBABLY 7x57, but have it either checked with a gunsmith or make a cast of the chamber to be sure.

If it's an actual K98, it probably was rechambered, and if so, I can't see why somebody would go to a 7x57, so it then COULD be a 7mm Mag, or even some other 7mm Wildcat...as good a chance as any.

But if it ISN'T a 98, then it's probably a 7x57...

The 7x57 is a decent deer round, and is seeing a small resurgence here. It has always been popular in Europe as a "stag" cartridge, and is available, loaded by several makers. I see it at shows all the time.
  4. Dutchman

Dutchman New Member

If it's a military mauser it's 7x57.
  5. islenos

islenos New Member

gotta take in account that the old girl may have been re-barreled