DEUTSCHE WERKE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mopower, Apr 12, 2005.

1. mopower

mopower New Member

Hi all. Today my boss brought in a pistol he wanted me to go through and clean and get up to shape. He has never fired it or cleaned it or even broken it down. And so now I need help figuring this thing out. It's a german 32 caliber automatic. The slide says..DEUTSCHE WERKE WERK ERFURT...on one side. The other side just says...ORTGIES' PATENT...
    It has what I would call a grip safety on it. When it is depressed you can pull the trigger and the safety stays depressed until you push the little safety button on it. The grip safety then pops back out. Now you know as much as I do about the pistol. I really need some help as to how to take it down...how to remove the slide would be a nice start. I've tried just about everything I can think of to get the slide off. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Mein Freund,
    Es ist nicht ein automatischer!
  3. mopower

mopower New Member

That's helpfull :rolleyes:
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

It's a Browning clone very close to the 1910
  5. mopower

mopower New Member

Can you tell me how to disassemble it?
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  7. mopower

mopower New Member

Well I got it taken apart. It doesn't have a bushing and the recoil spring is wound around the barrel. I just tried a couple other things and the thing finally came apart! I'll post a pic in a minute. :D
  8. mopower

mopower New Member

Odd little thing!

Attached Files:

9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

10. mopower

mopower New Member

Thank you very much Xracer. You provided me with all the information I needed. :) The more I work on this pistol the more I like it! It's just a neat little piece. Thanks again.
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"It's just a neat little piece."

Indeed it is......just wait until you shoot it! :)

A number of years ago, a friend of mine bought one at a yard sale (for about 20 bucks). It was pretty dirty and crudded up, so he brought it over to me to clean up. Well we cleaned and lubed it.....and took it to the sandpit to shoot.

What a sweetie! A real neat little plinker. Unfortunately, .32ACP isn't as cheap to shoot as .22 RF, but it's a real sweet little shooter.

Have fun........ :D
  12. csysman

csysman New Member

13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Remove the magazine, make sure the chamber is empty, that little safety button, that is also the take down button, push it, pull the slide back and up and it should lift off.
  14. Harleydog

Harleydog New Member

15. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

The Ortges is a great little pistol. Made in .25 and .32 cal. Back in the 1920's they had a good reputation for accuracy and reliability.
  16. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Ortgies are well machined guns and are smooth handling, however they do have a couple of bad faults. First is the manual safety. Push in the little button and the grip safety pops out, press the grip safety and the gun is ready to fire. However, unlike most grip safeties, it will not "pop" out when released. The gun will remain ready to fire. If it is pocket carried, it would very easy to inadvertently push in the safety while fishing for a piece of gum, then you've got a loaded striker fired gun requiring a sudden jar or light pressure on the trigger to fire. I think that might ruin your day. The little feet on the striker are prone to breakage and wear{ very brittle metal} . If the dis-connector is worn and loose, ( just a little round washer type thing ), or even is the sear contact areas are old and worn, the gun will go full auto. These guns were never a commercial success, even in Germany, and the U.S. market was flooded with them in the 1930's. That's why they are so common. For my own reasons I became very well versed on the Ortgies.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  17. fprefect

fprefect New Member

I have one exactly like it and just gave it a much needed complete cleaning 2 days ago. In order to break it down, remove magazine, hold the safety button down while at the same time pulling the slide to the rear and at the same time lifting up. I would do this indoors on a bare floor as the firing pin spring in some models (like mine) may com loose from the little flange of sorts that sticks out from the back of the slide. However if going to give it a good cleaning you will need to remove this spring anyway in order to get to the underside of the firing pin slide located to the rear of the barrel one end of the spring (about 2 inches in length will have the metal striker that will strike the firing pin slider when the trigger is pulled. If the spring is very dirty you may want to let it soak for a while in some Hoppe's or other clearer to remove all of the grease.

The main slide spring should still be on the barrel and will simply slide off which will be necessary to clean it as well as the outside of the barrel. The most important thing to get completely cleaned in the slider on which the firing pin is attached. If the guides get clogged with dirt and grease it will produce the same effect as a weak firing pin spring so it is important to clean it until it slides freely.

Putting it back together is pretty straight forward but can get a bit tricky to first time you do it. Just replace the firing pin spring in the firing pin slider and you will notice the "stud" that sticks out about 1/2" on the back of the main slide. You will need to manipulate the open end of the spring on to this catch or stud as you replace the main slide (remember to also replace the large slide spring around the barrel) using the reverse motions used when you removed the main slide. Don't get discouraged if it takes a bit of time the first time you do it and you may need to improvise a tool to get the open end of the firing pin spring to slip over the "stud" as the main slide snaps shut.

Probably not the best in the way instructions, but it's difficult to do over the web with no diagrams, but if I managed to figure it out, you should hopefully have no trouble. It's much easier the second time around.

F. Prefect
  18. pate89

pate89 New Member

push and hold down the button on the left side thats right below the slide. while doing so pull the slide all the way back and lift til the slide pops up. that should solve your problem.
  19. pate89

pate89 New Member

that should help.
  20. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Fprefect and guys,

There is indeed a trick to reassembly. There is a firing pin spring guide that fits into the back end of the firing pin spring. Inside the top of the slide there is a tiny notch. You can see it if you turn the slide over and look straight down.

To reassemble the gun, you install the firing pin and spring and guide in the slide, then use a small screwdriver to push the guide forward and down into that notch. That holds the firing pin spring and guide out of the way so you can install the slide by reversing the disassembly steps. Once the slide is in place, retracting it frees the spring guide from the notch and the gun functions normally. If you don't engage the spring guide in that notch, you will have one heckuva time reassembling the gun!

Jim