1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

DFW area reloading suppliers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Chadk, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Chadk

Chadk Member

could anyone reccomend a reloading supplier in the south DFW area? Grand Prairie, Arlington, Fort Worth??
  2. cutter

cutter New Member

Cheaper Than Dirt is a large supplier. You will have to look in phone book for address or thier website. www.cheaperthandirt.com
  3. Chadk

Chadk Member

i know exactly where they are and are fairly convienent. So they sell everything needed? Presses, Die's, Primers, Powder ect???
  4. cutter

cutter New Member

They have enough to make your pockets empty!:)
  5. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Yep, and they even sell to us out here in the wilderness of the High Plains! You might try Midway USA for other items such as dies, presses and such. Fortunately, we have a local store that caters to the reloader, so I can buy primers and powder locally and very reasonably.
  6. Chadk

Chadk Member

well the Cheaper Than Dirt soulds perfect. That will be great not to have to ship primers and powder

I was looking at the Lee 1000 Pro Progressive Kit. Is this too much for a beginner? It looks like the Dies come with it. I see 9mm, but is .380 a differend Die set that would have to be additionally purchased?

So in addition to the press kit, I'd just need the powder, brass, projectile, and primers???? any other necessitites?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Do you already have Reloading Manuals ??
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I suggest at least the Lyman 49th edition manual and
    'The ABC's of Reloading by C. Rodney James'
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Too much machine for a beginner ?........No
    Whatever you choose, just go slow as you learn....
    BUT READ and RE-READ your books before you start charging any rounds.
    Most people usually say a progressive press is not good for a beginner...
    but , hey, it all depends on the beginner, and only you can make that call.
    Although this press advances automatically[which I don't like] it DOES HAVE
    an alternate function to load one round at a time, which I suggest you start
    out doing.
    [some seasoned reloaders don't even like progressive presses]
    Again, read, read, read......
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Good advice! You will find that you need 3, 4, 5, and even more reloading manuals, you can't have too many. The reason is simple, no manual can list every load available! You will make some mistakes while reloading. If you do it right, you will catch them right away. For those times you will need a kinetic bullet puller.
  11. Chadk

Chadk Member

ok, assuming I "pull the trigger" on reloading, the Manuals are a must. Understood!

A certainly am not that opposed to a single stage press, but it just seems that the PRO1000 kit would actually save money with the dies that are included over purchasing the 50th anniversary Kit, or just the single stage press itself. True??? Money is certainly a factor so I'm not looking to get something bigger than I need. And to that point, I keep reading about how this is such an addictive habbit and you keep buying more and more equipment. Obviously the only reason Im interested in reloading is to make casual range trips less of a pain on the wallet. I'm assuming i will be able to save money?

I would be reloading handgun rounds. 9, .380, and possibly 357 sig. to start with.
  12. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

One thing I too remember is a progressive press is a pain in the butt to setup, so much so that most people get them dialed in on one load and they stay that way for some times years. if you start with a single stage and you get the reloading bug ,then get a progressive press. that way you can keep it set up on say 9mm and do 380's on the single. also I have an old RCBS rockchuker that I started with, I do all my decaping and resizing on it.
  13. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I have never heard of a reloading press that comes with the loading dies. How would they know what you want to load?
  14. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

If you look at midway or graf & sons most progressive press come with a set of die's mostly set up for you. you will have to make some adjustments though. You can get them without die's too. some press it can take day's to get them dialed in after you change to a different caliber.
  15. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Pro 1000 comes with a set of dies, you just have to tell them what caliber you want it in.