DFW area reloading suppliers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Chadk, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Chadk

Chadk New Member

ok, so looking at some pricing this is what I'm seeing.

If you look at the Lee Progressive 1000 kit for 9MM that is 174 + $14 for shipping = $188 (includes 3 pc die set)

If you look at the Lee 50th aniversary kit thats $109 + $ 42 (9mm 4pc die set) + $14 for shipping = $165.

this makes the progressive kit $20 more. doesnt that seem like a huge upside for $20 more or am I missing something?

Those quick lock bushings sure seem like the way to go regardless of the set up???
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

While bushings seem like a great way to go, they're not for everyone. I don't have a problem with them making good ammo; I personally don't like the "slop" in them. Anytime you take one solid chunk of reloading press and create a "drop-in" piece, there has got to be some machining tolerance. Many many posts about the bushing not locking in tight and just as many posts about simple fixes too.

As far as press goes, I personally got enough of an intro to the Pro1000 that I will never have enough patience to tinker with one that I have had to pay for. They are not bad presses by any means, just not what I term economical for the long haul. It may seem less expensive, but I want less headaches too.

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cheaper than dirt doesnt sell reloading components. the occasionally sell once fired or demilled military brass, mostly in 5.56/.223 (Lake City)

The nearest supplier is Elk Castle off I30 in west Ft. Worth, but they do-not sell presses and accessories. Only powder, primers, some bullets and shotshell components.

Alpine on the east side of Everman has a good selection of powder and primers, but they gear mostly toward Shotshells, and they do sell some presses.

Cabelas North of Ft. Worth (Exit 65 of I35) is your best bet. they sell it all, but they arent the most competitively priced..

Lone Star out in Weatherford off I20 also has a wonderful selection and they carry 4 and 8 pound containers of powder.

I recommend you order most of what you need online, sans powder and primers (Hazmat) and muy those locally at Elk Castle or Alpine..
  4. Chadk

Chadk New Member

Great info for me. Ok cheaper than dirt is basically no help then. I actually recently bought a gun from Alpine so I know where that is. Elk Castle is also probably doable. Hopefully between those I can get the hazmat stuff at a good price. I guess bullet and casings online and the tooling/equipment online. Thanks so much for the info!!!!
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yessir. I too live in the area. So Im pretty keen on who has what..

Also i forgot to mention that Military Gun Supply over off the east loop in Arlington also does carry primers. They dont always have a variety but they almost always have some. usually Winchester. So keep that one in the back of your mind..

And CTD can be of some help. They do carry a good selection of MTM ammo boxes and they are a little cheaper than cabelas. So dont hesitate to stop in if youre up on the north loop.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. Chadk

Chadk New Member

Wow, I drive right by Military Gun Supply on my way to and from work every day. Never really knew it was there. That would be great if they can handle some items for me that would save me trips to Alpine or Elk Castle.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

YEah if youre headn south on 820 exit berry and go back under the highway to the northbound service road and merge onto S Cravens just past the Ramey exit ramp. and if youre headn north just exit Ramey and quickly merge right onto Cravens. MGS is the giant metal building with the AR15 banner on it.