1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

diamond arms shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by maw pat, Jan 14, 2009.

1. maw pat

maw pat New Member

I just received a diamonds arms shotgun with a rabbit on one side. I don't know anything about this gun. Could anyone please help me
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

First a question, is it a single barrel, and if a double barrel does it have outside hammers ( dog leg or rabbit ear hammers ) or are the hammers enclosed in the receiver.
  3. PetahW

PetahW New Member

Diamond Arms was a trade name used by Shapleigh Hardware for guns that were actually made by Iver Johnson of Fitchburg, MA, c. 1920-1950.
    These were utility grade guns.

Prior to WWI Diamond Arms shotguns were Belgian imports.
    They would bring about the same prices, but strictly as mantle decorations.

If it is a single shot it was probably manufactured by Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle works of Fitchburg, MA, ca. 1920-30's, and would be worth $75 or less.

If it is a double barrel, it is more likely to be by Crescent Firearms of Meriden, CT, ca. 1893-1930, or J. Stevens Arms of Chicopee Falls, MA, ca. 1930-40.
    Value of a double may be $125-$200.

.410's are getting popular, so you may be able to double those prices if yours is a .410.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It really is a very interesting shotgun, why? because it has so many listed makers. It is a Trade Name gun. A trade name gun is one which has someone else's name { or no name} other than the maker. In Modern times think of sears and their products. They sold sporting goods under the name of J C Higgins. All of these goods were made by name brand makers, but whose name does not appear anywhere on the product. During the first half of the 20th century Trade Name shotguns were very common. The largest maker of these gun, Crescent Firearms Co. , had an arrangement that if you ordered a certain amount of firearms and paid for the tool die, you could have any name you desired rolled marked on the Barrel. Hence if you owned Maw Pat hardware chain you could have your shotguns marked Maw Pats Firearm Company. Impressed the heck out of the locals who were led to believe you had your own firearm company. The Standard Catalog of Firearms has the Diamond Arms Co. as being imported, the same book has " some models by Crescent" I also have the same information that PetahW has, which the early ones were Belgium, then Crescent, Stevens and Iver Johnson and yet another contributor who is knowledgeable and has a large library states Diamond Arms Co. shotguns were made by Stevens , GB Crandal and Harrington and Rjichardson. Me, I don't have the foggiest, I have a headache and I think I will take a nap. :)
  5. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

The previous correspondents have given you a lot of correct information. We all could talk all day long about these. as I call them "Trade Brand Name" shotguns. Between 1880 and 1914 when WW! cut off exports from Europe and 1940 when WW2 did the same thing again, there was a great interest all things having to do with shotguns and shooting them. The biggest makers in order were the United States, Belgium and England. My reference book (restricted to U.S. makers only) lists the name Diamond as being made by Stevens Ams Company and Diamond Arms Co as being made by Stevens Arms Company, Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works and Harington & Richardson Arms Co.
    As already said, the guns were made for and sold by the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis,MO