Diamondback .380

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by opr1945, Jan 30, 2011.

1. opr1945

opr1945 New Member

I just laid away a Diamondback .380.

Any suggestions for break in when I get?

Or which ammunition works with it or doesn't?

Thanks
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Every pistol is a bit different in its likes and dislikes. You need to get a few boxes of different ammo and find what works best in your piece. Break-in should be accomplished with 200 to 250 rounds of FMJ. Also test ALL of the magazines you have for that gun. For self defense use - my recommendation is the Hornady Critical defense ammo - it has a sharply angled cone and reliably feeds in my KelTec 3AT, and in several small .380s that friends of mine own. You may find something entirely different, there are at least a dozen "good" .380 rounds out there now - JHP and FMJ. Good luck - just remember to prove-in your piece before you rely upon it for self defense - you don't need a jam when it's critical to not jam.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I hope it works well enough for you to break it in. Diamondbacks are a PITA at best. They have a lot of ejection issues and feed issues. Some are good many are not. I hope you got a good one;):D Break in is just some good shooting and cleaning well for the first 200 rounds or so. Not much more can be done with them w/o taking them down beyond the manufactures suggestions.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    A must read for those that have the Diamondback.
    http://www.gunblast.com/Diamondback380.htm

One thing I would like to add is that I own two .380 pistols, and thanks to one of our members, Trantor, I carry my .380's with alternating rounds of Hornady Critical Defense ammo (gets about 10" of penatration), and ball (gets about 14" of penatration). I can get max expansion, and max penatration with several shots, on the target.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Paraphrased from that article from Carver.
    "The reliability part is paramount. The pocket pistol is a last-ditch weapon that is carried for the grave purpose of saving one’s hide. It must work one hundred percent of the time."
    Not this gun. Mind you I only see the bad ones but I trust these about as much as I trust my 5 yr old to flush. I've posted else ware on these too. There is a design flaw with the firing pin. It sits loose in the channel between shot and when you finger is pulling the trigger. Sensitive enough primer it can slam fire when the next round is loaded. Not to mention the pin can stick in the primer and in the channel and cause a ejection issue or if your real lucky it will stick in the breech face and cause a feed issue. This is the most common issue I see. I'm not the guru of guns and I'm not quick to throw hate towards any one specific brand but I know when I see a problem, this gun has problems.

Just a quick addition. DO NOT dry fire the gun then try to load one in the chamber, ain't gonna happen. You must drop the mag, rack the slide to reset the pin, then reinsert the mag and go ahead and load. For us that Israeli carry, no thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011